Rain liners - Are you an innie or outie?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have the Cycle Port mesh gear with a liner for the jacket. The liner is without question, top quality. It breathes well, sheds water like a proverbial duck and does a good job adding warmth when in place. However...the sleeves are too short. In heavy rain for an extended period, the water runs through the mesh (duh), down the outside of the liner and into your gloves. If you have on a long sleeve shirt the water also wicks up the sleeve and you're wet to the elbow.
Doing it over again and considering the price paid for the jacket liner, I would invest in a high quality set of rain gear and forgo the liner(s).

YMMV

--G
When a guy from Snohomish, WA responds to wet weather questions... I tend to listen... just sayin...

Hey, the advice is great. I'm still new to riding-on-a-daily basis and don't want to spend money on something I would use very little. When I ride I pack as little as I can on me. If there are outies available that will do the job, and not take up much space, then I think I may go that route.
Wfooshee...it is not insignificant. ;) It's all good learning. The best way to learn is from those who've already spent the money!

Does outer wear flap much in the wind while riding?
I had a Tour Master Defender that I tore up in my first low side a year and a half ago, replaced it with one further up the line, which I've decided I hate. The Defender was dry inside, packed to a jewelry box almost, EZ on/off, and wasn't very much $$$$.

The one I have now is the Tour Master Sentinel, got a good price on it when my brother used to work for kneedraggers.com, and I hate it. It's bulkier, hard to put on over boots, and I've gotten wet in it several times.

Flapping wasn't really a problem with either suit.

A lot of people sewar by Froggs Toggs, but I've never had any.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the liners when I purchased the suit a year ago, wish I hadn't as the liners take up a lot of room in the saddle bags. I now use FrogTogs (much cheaper, about $40) that I use as an inner liner in rainy and/or cold weather. The CyclePort liners are hanging in the closet unused.

BTW you are right about anything in the pockets getting wet and you will also have to put any waterproof glove/glove cover inside the inner liner sleeve or the rain will funnel down into your gloves. Ian, Iowa

Outie all the way. I need to get the non-breathable layer as far away from me as possible to keep it from turning into a sweat box.

I have mesh gear that has an internal rain liner. I use that more for wind breakage when it's a tad chilly than anything. A light rain in the summer is fine, the outside gets wet and if it's hot and muggy that's often welcome when the rain stops. It's also about the only time my gear gets washed :)

For heavier rains I toss my Toggs on top. I know some people don't like them but I've had great success with them.

YMMV

I luvs my inner two-piece Motoport liners, and I think they've been improved since I got mine. I don't attach them to the armor, just throw them on as the last layer before the riding suit. Great for blocking wind and breathable, as they're Gore-Tex.

With fleece under-layering, I don't need heated gear, down to temps where there might be ice on the road anyway. I have heated grips, which, along with the V-Strom hand guards, lets me wear my Motoport stretch Kevlar gloves all year. Good control feel and feedback. I bought some rain overgloves from Wayne in Park City and, when it's real cold, I throw 'em over my gloves for nice warm hands. I have a pair of glove liners, but I haven't needed to use them yet.

Not sure why you would want to wear waterproof gear on the inside. It's slow to get on and off and in a rain the outer clothing will get soaked.

I wear a Gore-Tex shell and pants over my mesh jacket and mesh pants and it works perfectly without sweat build-up inside.

For all of you who continue to post here without reading and comprehending that hte is talking SPECIFICALLY about Motoport (Cycleport) kevlar riding gear. https://www.motoport.com/.

I will answer the following post in a specific manner.

Not sure why you would want to wear waterproof gear on the inside.
Because that's the way Motoport/Cycleport Kevlar Mesh riding gear comes, with an optional zip-in gortex liner that serves as a rain liner and wind breaker. (I also have the insulated liner but have never used it. My Gerbings works quite well, thank you.) :unsure:

It's slow to get on and off and in a rain the outer clothing will get soaked.
Uhm....mine zips into the Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants. The only thing that gets wet is the kevlar mesh and that dries extremely quickly, "within 5 minutes" according to the Motoport website and that seems about right, by experience (compared to my former Kilimanjaro riding jacket)....assuming I'm smart/clever/adept/aware enough to place all valuable items in my cases or tank bag rather than leaving them in the pockets. :huh:

I wear a Gore-Tex shell and pants over my mesh jacket and mesh pants and it works perfectly without sweat build-up inside.
My rain liner is similar to THIS, but it is 2 pieces. There's the gortex liner and that liner has another liner inside to prohibit skin contact with the gortex (which wouldn't be good from a weeping/leaking/comfort standpoint). :unsure: Since it breathes, I've never had an issue with sweat buildup inside. I have been riding to work in 33-35 degree temps with a sweatshirt over my work clothes. That seems to be a win-win solution for me. ;)

Since we are on the subject of mesh clothing, I will also state that after talking and listening to Bob (Toecutter) talk about his Cycleport gear and having my my First Gear overpants fail and my Kilimanjaro "burn through" an elbow during a 15 mph lowside :angry: (front washed out after hitting an unseen water puddle in an intersection turn lane)...buying the kevlar mesh was an easy decision for me. :blink:

We now return control of your screen to you and return you to your regularly scheduled thread....a discussion about Motoport/Cycleport zip-in rain liners vs. other manufacturers "outer wear" rain protection in regards to Cycleport clothing. :yahoo:

So uh... If that's the only way MotoPort sells it he's pretty much fucked then isn't he?

I interpreted his question to be that's the way the sell em but I can still buy over-gear. Which do you prefer.

I never saw a *don't respond to this thread if you have no motoport specific experience*

:****: :)

I interpreted his question to be "that's the way they sell 'em but I can still buy over-gear. Which do you prefer?"
I never saw a *don't respond to this thread if you have no motoport specific experience*
+1

And Wayne also sells over-gear. Last time I checked, it was significantly cheaper than the liners that match the kevlar mesh.

I wouldn't want to try to be getting into and out of anything over my mesh outfit. It's plenty comfortable, but it's also plenty bulky.

However...the sleeves are too short. In heavy rain for an extended period, the water runs through the mesh (duh), down the outside of the liner and into your gloves. If you have on a long sleeve shirt the water also wicks up the sleeve and you're wet to the elbow.
I'm thinking these will be a future add for my gear arsenal. I got some overgloves in Park City but they aren't breathable and get wet from condensation on cold, dry rides. Apparently, nobody makes something like this in Gore Tex or other breathable membrane.

So uh... If that's the only way MotoPort sells it he's pretty much fucked then isn't he?
Or, perhaps everyone else is because they don't have the option of a dual purpose liner.

I rode an 800 mile round trip in the rain wearing my First Gear Kilimanjaro without any other rain gear and didn't have any severe problems. IIRC, my Airtex mesh jacket didn't even come with a liner of any kind so one would definitely need over gear with that jacket.

I interpreted his question to be that's the way the sell em but I can still buy over-gear. Which do you prefer.
And many of the posts to which I was generally responding to had a tone of shock and dismay at wearing an "under liner". While terse, I thought my response was also educational.

:****: :)
Obviously, because of the incredulous responses to even considering an under liner as rain gear "motoport experience" wasn't the only issue. Product knowledge would have helped before responding.

Bob has the best insight:

I wouldn't want to try to be getting into and out of anything over my mesh outfit. It's plenty comfortable, but it's also plenty bulky.
I have the ULTRA 2 AIR MESH KEVLAR JACKET and I can't imagine finding rain gear that will fit over that jacket and my...er...uhm...heft girth (6'2" x 240 lbs).

I'm not seeing how those mittens are going to help TC. All you're going to end up with is a funnel at the end of your sleeve to catch the water...

--G

I'm not seeing how those mittens are going to help TC. All you're going to end up with is a funnel at the end of your sleeve to catch the water...
Down this way, we don't catch much rain. I'm planning to use 'em mostly for the cold, so I can use my regular gloves under them. My current overgloves are not at all breathable.

In heavy rain, I would probably tighten them around the liner sleeve, then have the mesh over the outside of both, then ride faster to keep the water blowing by
wink.gif

--G
Dosen't those over-gloves say they have a draw string so to keep the water out? I too was eyeing those gloves at AeroStich and they look like the cats meow.

And I like wearing my innie liners from Moto-Port. This gear is without a doubt the best quality I've found. And like alot of other's I've tried various "outer" rain gear and the result was usually not a good experience due to sweating/heat bulidup and wind flap even though I kept mostly dry.

For me it is not "real" easy to get in and out of any style but with the Moto-Port liners as mentioned they breath and are comfortable to wear and are easier than any I've tried taking on and off. And as mentioned they do not have to be zipped in if you don't want to. I would pass on the Thermolite liner though. Get some electric gear like MM2 said but carry a backup like a normal insulated liner/jacket incase the other fails or when you get off the bike.

Hear in Ca. we don't get alot of rain in the warmer months like other areas so usually when the rain comes it is usually cooler and I already have the liners on under the mesh. This is the only gear I've used that as Silent mentioned, has really kept me dry even under severe conditions when before I would have had to pull off somewhere and try and dry out. I vote "innie". PM. <>< :detective2:

Well Eagle,

You've gotten a lot of advice/opinion in response to your inquiry.

IMHO if you're getting the mesh, get the liners. They're worth the price even if you don't use them for rain gear.

Try them one time in the rain and see if they work for you. You can always buy the outer gear later.

Speaking from experience, I prefer a warmth liner to go inside but a rain liner to go outside. The reason is that inside liners allow the jacket to get soaked so that, after the rain, you are left wearing a wet jacket. Not fun.

Of the best, I would choose a First Gear or Aerostich jacket which has a water resistant shell with air vents. This means there's no need for a rain liner (or rain suit) at all. Simply close the vents when it rains and keep riding.

And, yes, I did read the thread and understand the question. My comment was in support of looking at all options instead of locking in on a brand that only offers an internal liner. Except for mesh, I prefer gear that doesn't need a liner at all for wet weather. Close the air vents and keep riding is my preference. No roadside rain boogie required.

Outer is better, and make sure the front zip has great sealing capabilities. On a wet windy way, if you can keep the damp and the wind out, you will be toasty inside.

If you can keep the cold and wet layer as far away from your skin as possible, you will stay warmer.

I have the ULTRA 2 AIR MESH KEVLAR JACKET and I can't imagine finding rain gear that will fit over that jacket and my...er...uhm...heft girth (6'2" x 240 lbs).
I am 6'0" and 260, and have no trouble getting my Sentinel on over my mesh gear, even bulked up with the thermal liners. The Defender I tore up on the pavement slide was even easier to don. And both suits pack MUCH smaller than the waterproof liners when not in use. Granted, I can't compare that packaging to the Motoport liners.

In general, I use the rain liner in my gear more as a cool-weather liner. For cold I add the quilted liner, too. For rain, I wear outer gear.

Edit: Pic of the Sentinel rain suit packed. The larger pack is the jacket, the smaller is the pants. The Defender suit would actually pack both into a pack the size of these pants pack, but the Sentinel has a vented lining that's supposed to wick moisture away from you, so is much bulkier. Still tighter than the liners for the jacket and pants. Of course, all of these are soft enough to really stuff into your packing space if you have to.

rainsuit.jpg