Rain Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1b. What do you use for preventing fogging that works? I mean, really works.
5b. What winter boots do you use that are are *water-fooking-proof*? Not water *resistant* but water phooking-proof?
The Pinlock works. It's the most fog resistant system I've ever used. Webbikeworld review: Clicky

Boots: I have both the Oxtar's and Sidi's. The Sidi on-road sympatex has never left my feet wet. I've ridden the Sidi's in 8 hours of rain, and had dry feet. The Oxtar's were not as dry. webbike link: Link

My link here on the forum: Clicky

Dealt with some of these issues last weekend.

Fogging, winshield full up and cracked the faceshield. Wear contacts cause I can't stand glasses under the helmet. KNow you have the issue with reflected light so this might not work for you.

Ride the stock rubber that comes on the bike. Had no issues with rain and wind.

Shoe X-11 helmet. Some water seeped in but think my new rainsuit with helmet liner will take of this issue. At least I shouldn't feel it this time.

Boots. I have Street Sidi's. Not the air the other model and these things ROCK. Wind proof, insulated, water proof. My feet were warm and dry along the ride. I also ride when it is 30 degrees out in the morning and no issues with cold feet. Deal with cold hands but cannot, will not deal with cold feet.

Sidi Strada evo Tepor (the waterproof version). Sweet boots for sport touring.

Everyone else gave you good answers on the other stuff, but I have a solution to the reflected light problem.,,

If you do a search for "rubber edge trim" at McMaster Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/

You will find some "U" shaped trim that will fit around the outside edge of the protectors. Find one that's inside measurement will fit over the plastic protector, and thats outside thickness will help "seal" the gap between. A thin wipe of cement along the edge of the plastic will hold the rubber trim on.

You only need to do the top edges.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
No one has posted the CBA solution to these problems yet? I personally find that Andy's Jeep Grand Cherokee provides a very comfortable ride if one MUST go out in the rain. There is the added bonus of additional defense against CA drivers who freak out at the first hint of the slippery stuff.

Gotta get back to the TV now, in case I miss any of the live coverage of 'Storm Watch 08', which replaces all regularly scheduled programming every time we get some rain. :)

Jill

I had a good ride in the rain today and no real issues. The boots I use are the Daytona Road Star GTX. My helmet is the Shoei Mutitec which works very well. The Pearl Grey Metallic is an exact match if you have the AE version (if you care about stuff like that). Before I went out in the rain I always apply something I got from the Long Beach International Motorcycle show called Zooke Z-Wax for my glasses and I use the Zooke Z2O Spray for the visor. I had no fogging issues and it could save your life. It is always in my side compartment for emergencies. Good luck.

But I do find that in a similar situation, I make a conscious effort to breath down; that is I hook my upper lip over my bottom and the air is directed past my chin and seems to help a lot. Hope that helps you or another rider. I'm interested in the replies your post generates.....
Thanks Shiny, I was doing the down breath the entire ride, it helps, but not enough.

1. I once used rain-X type products on an old, cheap helmet...now that worked great but I have heard since then that it is a big no-no, and I dont want to find out on my much more expensive helmet that I have trashed a lens.
I have found that Zooke anti fog helps, but does not completely eliminate the problem.
What is the bad joo-joo about using RainX?I had forgotten about Zooke, it certainly works better than my nulcear grade anti-fog..

Like others I ride in the rain/cold with the visor up one notch to get air through the helmet. However, this means you now have water running on the outside and inside of the visor further decreasing visability. So, I then took a 6 inch piece of small (1/8"?) foam door/window weather stripping and stuck it on the helmet just above the visor upper seal. Now the top of the visor is sealed even though the visor is not all the way down. But, if you seal all of the top with the weather striping you again don't have enough airflow, so seal most of it, leaving a couple of inches on each end so there is still adequate airfow.
Now here is an innovative idea. Any chance of posting a foto of your creation? This has promise..

I came up with this Idea on my ride up in BC during one of the cold downpours. I took my shield off the helmet, and stretched some electrical tape over the top outside of the shield. I only covered about 1/4"- of the plastic face shield. The tape laid inward. Then I carefully put the tape on the inside as to stick to the out side tape and shield. This made a tight gasket on the top of the face shield to helmet, and I could still open the helmet or shield without a problem.

Then I added some self sticking Velcro to the helmets chin peace in order to keep the face shield open enough to get a constant air flow in. (I used the soft Velcro only) this worked.

The tape on top worked to keep the rain from dripping in on my face and glasses. The air flow was enough to keep the glasses from fogging. I still used the anti fog on the glasses and shield.

Bob
Another great idea, one I would have never thought of!

Firstly, I am also a "glass" wearer, so being able to see clearly is a high safety need.My winter helmet is an Arai Quantum with a fog city photochromatic insert (changes color to blue in the bright sun) inside the clear visor.

If you have not used a fog insert before, it is my advice to use it during the day, near your home, until you get a feel for the light distortion that is noticeable to me, even wearing glasses or not.

As for some more techniques to avoid fogging make sure you open the garage door early before your ride, leave lid and glasses overnight in the garage to bring to a lower outside temperature, nearer to ambient temperature, and when the bike is warming up, suit up, leave putting on those glasses until the last minute.

As you ride away from home "crack the lid" open a little so as to try and get the outside air temperature to match your face temperature, which is higher, resulting in condensation.

A real good check on the sealing of the visor against the seal is vital, spread a little silicone paste (one that came with your helmet) around the helmet seal, close visor and lock, now open visor.

Take visor off carefully and check to see that the silicone has left an even amount around the outer edges of the visor. If not, adjust as per helemt instructions the sealing of the visor against the seal on the lid.
I've used the fogcity before, and like you said, the starburst pattern takes getting used to. By the time the face shield outer and inner and glasses, outer and inner lense defract light, in addition to the fog city, it became untenable. Then again, at least it wasn't fogging.Leaving the gear outside to temperature soak is a good idea, the helmet may be a bit cold after staying in the trailer all night at 19F, but it should help, I'll give it a try.

As the other gentleman said, part of my problem is the use of the Arai XD. It is simply not made for full time street use. The problem is, I LOVE the visor so I'll be making some mods to the lid. Your idea of using silicone to check the seal is a good idea.

Though I don't recall where it came from I have the stick on film from 3M on the lights. You have to shape and cut it to fit but you won't have any refection or blowing off issues.
:jester:
Bustanut, were you able to get the 3M film to lay down nicely, to follow the curve and shape of the lense or did you end up with wrinkles and air bubbles?

I use the spray-on stuff from Kleer Vu on cold or rainy days to eliminate fogging. Spendy stuff, but it works great.
I'll get some Zooke wax and Kleer Vu on the way ASAP.

The Pinlock works. It's the most fog resistant system I've ever used. Webbikeworld review: Clicky
Boots: I have both the Oxtar's and Sidi's. The Sidi on-road sympatex has never left my feet wet. I've ridden the Sidi's in 8 hours of rain, and had dry feet. The Oxtar's were not as dry. webbike link: Link

My link here on the forum: Clicky
I need to research the pinlock to see if will work with the Arai XD. If it works, I'd be happy to spend the extra $$. Not seeing the road just sucks.

Boots. I have Street Sidi's. Not the air the other model and these things ROCK. Wind proof, insulated, water proof. My feet were warm and dry along the ride. I also ride when it is 30 degrees out in the morning and no issues with cold feet. Deal with cold hands but cannot, will not deal with cold feet.
Sidi Strada evo Tepor (the waterproof version). Sweet boots for sport touring.
Thanks Mojave, it looks like I just need to splurge and buy a good set of riding boots. I think a trip to Chapparall cycles, San Bernadino, might be in my future. None of my local dealers have any decent street boot selection.

I quoted too many times in the last post so had to truncate KnifeMakers reply about using rubber molding to cover the CBailey lense protector..

and wanted to say Thanks KM, what a great idea! I found exactly what I need tonight.

Lots of good stuff in the above posts. Waterproof gear is essential for rain in cool weather, but you can minimize the effect of rain by changing your riding position a little. In order to keep my feet dry in the rain I tuck them in close to the bike so they don't get so much splash off of the tire, and I point my toes slightly down so the water can run off easily and quickly. I also stand up on the pegs every once in a while to let the puddles clear from my lap.

I keep my visor open just a tiny bit to get air flow around the inside to minimize fogging. I get some water on my face but it's better than not being able to see.

1. Faceshield fogging

Alot of folks where I live like to snowmobile as we get 5 months of winter. They use electric shields for there helmets that plug into 12v system. Fogging becomes non issue. I wonder if this could be fitting application for motorcycling.

Have a look at denniskirk.com. I don't know how to make clicky link cause I'm computer illiterate.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...leafCatId=30102

I've tried Fog City and Pinlock. I prefer the Pinlock because you can still remove it, clean it, etc. I've had a Fogcity shield separate and fly out of the helmet after lifting the visor before.

Now, having said that, your point about the waterproof helmet is huge, because one of the biggest drawbacks of the Pinlock is if water seeps in and rolls down the inside of the visor. The Fogcity deals with that just fine, where the Pinlock tends to get moisture between the two visors.

Having said all that, I will tell you the Nolan N-102 is a LOUSY helmet for moisture intrusion of the visor. I love this helmet, but this is where it really sucks.

Finally, for boots, I use the Alpinestars Web boot for winter riding in the PacNW. Never failed me once. very waterproof.

Only thing I can add to the replies is:

Use a Scorpion helmet, never a fogging problem with their shields in the rain and snow from 10 to 70 degrees. Alaska to Baja.

Being "economical" I use Response Gear waterproof boots from Big 5. About $30.00

Longrider

Rain-X does make a product that is safe to use on poly and acryllic, look for the stuff labeled "marine". It makes bug and dirt cleanup a snap. Uusually found at large boat dealerships and such. Been using it for years on face shields with no issues. I do tend to replace the shield about every two years though. (It usually has a few scratches by then)

I haven't found an anti fog product that I would publicly endorse. If you wear glasses, nothing seems to really work. I just treat both sides of the face shield with rain-x and use my finger as a wiper blade as needed for the inside. If it gets bad enough, I remove my glasses and find some place to pull over for a while.

A friend of mine had installed a pair of tiny fans to direct air at his glasses, and says that works great. I believe the fans are the ones used to cool the video chips, probably less than an inch in diameter. He ran them off a small cordless phone battery pack velcroed to back of helmet.

David

ride with your visor up just a crack. You'll still have protection from raindrops, but the air flow will keep your visor clear. also, keep your visor slicked up with Pledge and the rain drops will bead up and slide off faster and you will have way more visibility.

there are gore-tex lined boots that will help keep your feet dry, but if you are doing hours in the rain, you will eventually get wet. sorry. quantity beats quality every danged time.

we live in a rainforest here, so if we waited for a dry day to ride, we'd never ride... :lol:

I bought new eyeglasses last Fall with a teflon anti glare coating. The anti glare works well at night with the added benefit the glasses don't fog up as much and when they do, a shot of air will clear them quickly without the need to wipe them off with a rag.

I have

Cruiserworks and a 12 year old set of BMW boots. both have been in days on end of rain without leaking. I always had the faceshield foggong problem until this year. I bought a Nolan flip helmet and it comes with the double layer face shield. I can't get tit to fog up even if I try. You can buy this same system for Shoei helmets and I'm going to get one of those also (I go between the flip and the regular full face).

Gary

I have Cruiserworks and a 12 year old set of BMW boots. both have been in days on end of rain without leaking. I always had the faceshield foggong problem until this year. I bought a Nolan flip helmet and it comes with the double layer face shield. I can't get tit to fog up even if I try. You can buy this same system for Shoei helmets and I'm going to get one of those also (I go between the flip and the regular full face).

Gary
What... did you click on Barb's new avatar?
sorry, couldn't resist tit it.

The Avon's are the stickiest tires I've used in the rain. The Stradas aren't too bad either. If it hasn't rained for a while, I try not to get out when it first starts... they be really slick until the oil and stuff gets washed off.

My feet have never gotten wet when wearing my Oxtar Matrix boots. It probably helps that my rain suit covers down to the ankles.

1. Faceshield fogging
Since the Holidays, I've grown a nice thick Goat-tee! After having done so, I actually believe it sucks up some of the moisture in my helmet when the shield is down on a moist day! A handle-bar mustache alone won't work as well, trust me on this!

1b. Anyone using the helmet 'mask'

Yes, if it's cold I use a Balaklava! <_<

1b.2 Anyone use forced warm air

No, but on my Schuberthe C1 helmet, the air flow through the lower vent when open is a pleasure and a good de-moisturizer of the inner helmet. The top vent must be open to allow the air suction to work to draw air into the lower vent. This is proven by the air blowing through the Goat-tee!

2. Recently I decided to run the CBailey headlight lense protectors.

Toss those suckers, I did!

2b. Any ideas to fix this problem?

Sure, buy a hard plastic lens protector from CST called a Ventura headlight lens protector. It's even cheaper than the C-Bailey version.

3. Of course, I can position the windshield to where the reflected light doesn't blind, but then my helmet is exposed fully to wind which results in problem #4...

???

4. I ride with an Arai XD helmet.

see: 1b.2.

5. Boots.

Uggs ALL leather high tops! Great for cold weather or wet riding, walking, and they are fur lined for the cold. They never leak, just ask any off duty Sierra ski bumb! Oh, and use an Aerostitch Roadcrafter to cover the top of the boot! I personally like dark brown boot color!

6. Tires; I'm currently using a Pilot Road front, Metz ME880 rear.

I will never change from the ME880 170/55/17 in the rear. Me Likes 'em in all conditions and they get great mileage! When It rains I usually slow down, so I don't bust the rear loose much anyway! Currently, I have a Perelli Diablo Strada on the front!

Shoe RF-1000 = a damn foggy bastard.

I use the Respro Foggy Mask. It doesn't take much to get it positioned correctly to get a good enough seal to prevent face shield fogging. Using it with glasses is a little trickier; if the seal isn't just right, your breath goes right up your cheeks and fogs up the inside of your glasses. Using the chin vent also helps minimize the shield fogging.

I had a Schuberth concept helmet at one time. The face shield would pop forward to break the seal for a little venting; also great for summer time. I don't recall any issues with water coming in with the shield popped forward.

At highway speeds, my large Cal-Sci windscreen allows me to open my shield one click without letting any rain in. Which is also good if you've had some garlic with your last meal. Who wants to be stuck inside a helmet with that??

I have a pair of Alpine Stars Gore-Tex boots. Keeps my feet very dry if used with over pants. Any pants that can soak through will just allow the water to run down your leg and collect in your boot. :angry: