Rain Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ride in the rainy PNW on a daily basis. A minimum 30 minute commute each way and occasional few hours non-stop rain. My Alpinestar Goretex boots keep my feet totally dry. My Aerostitch Darien 2 piece keeps my body totally dry. My First gear (Voyager model I believe) waterproof gloves keep my hands dry if I tuck them inside my jacket (otherwise water runs down the jacket sleeve and right into the gauntlet).

My Shoei RF900 helmet was a horrible fogger but at least it never leaks if I make sure the shield is well seated shut. A respoto sp? Foggy nose shield helped fogging some as did Zooke paste. But I still had way too much fogging with my Vstream adjusted up high enough to get rid of turbulence. And if I cracked my faceshield then I'd get water inside the shield which totally screwed my vision. What finally cured my fogging was the Pinlock shield. I can't get it to fog, no matter how much I try. The only downfall is the slight halo effect but I can live with that to eliminate fogging.

5. Boots. I read Iggie's IBR report in detail, twice. He had wet Oxtar feet. His riding bud, oh my gawd I have CRSS bad right now, had dry feet.5b. What winter boots do you use that are are *water-fooking-proof*? Not water *resistant* but water phooking-proof?
Iggy and I were wearing the same boots. Oxtar, now TCX, Matrix GoreTex. My feet have been totally dry in these boots. I think Iggy's feet got wet because he did not change out of his vented pants soon enough and water infiltrated his boots down his legs. IIRC.

dougc

Last edited by a moderator:
5. Boots. I read Iggie's IBR report in detail, twice. He had wet Oxtar feet. His riding bud, oh my gawd I have CRSS bad right now, had dry feet.5b. What winter boots do you use that are are *water-fooking-proof*? Not water *resistant* but water phooking-proof?
Iggy and I were wearing the same boots. Oxtar, now TCX, Matrix GoreTex. My feet have been totally dry in these boots. I think Iggy's feet got wet because he did not change out of his vented pants soon enough and water infiltrated his boots down his legs. IIRC.

dougc
You know that brings up another often overlooked area where the gloves and riding jacket meet. In dry weather, the gloves go over the sleeves. However, in wet weather, the sleeves go over the gloves so the water doesn't run down the sleeves into the gloves. Even if they're waterproof, your hands get wet if the gloves are on the outside.

jim

I have a pair of Alpine Stars Gore-Tex boots. Keeps my feet very dry if used with over pants. Any pants that can soak through will just allow the water to run down your leg and collect in your boot. :angry:

More love here for the Alpinestars Effex Gore-Tex boots. I've worn them for years in all types of weather and never even got damp.

And another +1 on the Pinlock for the visor.

I love my gore-tex boots...

...any suggestions for gloves? This is my weaklink rain-wise.

I know I should spring for the cheap vstrom handguard mod...but before (and after) I do that, any good gloves for all day rain/touring?

I know I should spring for the cheap vstrom handguard mod...but before (and after) I do that, any good gloves for all day rain/touring?
I like Held, but I'm sure there are others that are rain-proof.

jim

I thought I'd post this link about boots, Its a few years old but was responsible for my deciding to buy Sidi On Road boots. My feet have never been wet. Boot article link

Helmets, I have a Nolan and it works well, but I do not wear glasses, and I do leave the visor open slightly in the rain.

Rainwear- I wear a on piece Aerostich and have never been wet in it.

Tires- put Dunlop Qualifiers on last year at EOM, rode in the hardest rain I have ever been in, and they were as good or better than any tire I have used.

jim
Jim,

Which Held gloves? I have the Held kangaroo skin gloves right now.

MY best piece of equipment for riding in the rain is my

old Concours. It also works great when the temperature

drops.

Hey, Tiger. So, you're all wet, eh? Knew it.

I am very happy with my ALPINESTARS Web Gore-Tex Waterproof Boots (#6058), $170 at CycleGear. Tested in the rain (see recent thread re. leaky Aerostitch).

My Suomy helmet has an anti-fog shield, which works great on cold mornings. In the rain, the inside does get fogged up. And this morning, when it was about 38 degrees, I think it got ice crystals or something on the inside. F**k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a scary moment or two and the onset of WFO last year. I ran up to Jackson Hole to meet up with TWN and OVale and on the ride back we got POUNDED!!! by rain..... Aside that I did not have my rain gear on.... after separating to some back to my house at the Park City off ramp I continued down "Parleys Canyon" to Salt Lake and Home.

The rain was of "Biblical Proportions" and I passed a big rig and at once realized I had made a mistake. His wheels kicking up so much water I could not see him, the road (*did I mention him!!) or anything (did I mention him 3 feet away from me with those big ol' tires turning wanting to eat me for lunch)

My face-shield was useless like a windshield would be with the wipers off in that scenario

I had a stock windscreen too.

I added a Cee-Baileys +4 tall with a flip shape at the top.

Now in the rain I can take it up a bit, still see over the top, and the water and wind are both kicked up over my head and I ride in a bubble of quiet and reduced rain spatter.

Comfort is good gear......... This was a public safety announcement from a man who bout' crapped his drawers and learned a lesson and did not die in the learning

YMMV

jim
Jim,

Which Held gloves? I have the Held kangaroo skin gloves right now.
Well crap, they'l stopped making the ones I've been using. These are the closest.

Held winter rainproof gloves

Jim

Here's a funny... I have the most comfy, waterproof, wear-all-day-on-or-off-the-bike boots that I bought at WallyWorld! Serious... they are Wolverines, black combatstyle boots that lace up in eylets for a short time then switch to hooks for the height of the boot. They are snug and flexible, shifting is not a problem, and as I said...they are comfy as all getout. We all have different foot shapes and sizes, so you have to see for yerself, but after years of buying expensive boots (street and MX) I found a pair of $42ish boots that I love. I can wear them thru the winter for all day wear and don't get achy or cold, even after shovelling snow all damned morning...

C

Riding in the rain is fun!

As long as it's not too heavy and WARM! Cold rain sucks!

Had the 3m stuff on the lights, no problem.

Nothing on the Harley or the Triumph, only windshields. If you think driving rain on an FJR is bad, I'll lend you my Harley...

Flagstaff to Amarillo, did nothing but blow and rain all day. Even with a rainsuit, I was totally soaked, leathers and all, was on the Harley.

Note to self.... roads on maps are not as short as they appear! <BG>

Riding the FJR thur a summer thundersotrm in Iowa was interesting... at 80 mph... and the semi's were passing me in the middle of Des Moines!

Ok, I have a Shoei helmet, doesnt' leak unless I forget to close the vents..DUH!(more than once, I admit!) ... but it fogs up.

Also a Scorpian Warhawk, it does fog up a bit, but not leak...

I do crack the shield when I'm stopped, I usually am wearing glasses or sunglasses, both bifocals in order to see the GPS...

The chin thing works pretty well when it's cold, also the nose thingy, but on one trip I had neither...

But I did have a thin balacava, and a silk scarf (actually a big square Harley hanky!) I tied on like a bandit..<G>

The silk works really well, didnt' get any fog, and it kept me warm enuf when stopped with the visor open... this was a trip in Oct, cold, wet and windy...

was cold enuf that is snowed after I left, and didnt' get any warmer all day.. +++ for heated clothes!

The silk scarf was totally soaked by lunchtime, I stopped and bought a couple of cheap cotton handkys... no good... they just soak up water and feel terrible.

ended up taking them off. Picked up some good sized men's silk hankies in Vegas... on sale...<G>

$12 each and in an emergency I can use them as hankys!

Next cold wet windy miserable trip I take, I'm going to have one of those face masks with a skeleton on it!

My Harley buddys swear by them, and yes, they ride all winter long as long as the streets in Cleveland are kinda clear... but dont' know what kid of helmets they wear, I think 3/4 or ff in the winter.

I have a pair of Harley gloves with separate fleece linings... As long as I have the heated liner, my hands don't get too cold.

but they're short gloves, the wind and water does run up the sleeves... Now have heated long gloves.

Mink oil on the boots.... and you REALLY need a road helmet... there's a reason they don't have those big visors, you must just not be going fast enuf! <G>

Have fun and ride safe!

mary