RAIN X on windshield and helmet visor ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
Ive used Rain X for many years on cars, Etc... and the stuff really works... Can we use it with success on our wind shields and maybe helmet visors ? I'm just not sure about the plastic ? Has anyone ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain-X says no. (And most plastic manufacturers) It could skank your plastic. However, many here will say that they have done so with success. In the past, I have even done so with success. But, I watched a friend turn his Kawasaki ZG1200 windscreen into a nasty milky color doing the same exact thing.

Bottom line, do so at your own risk.

Funny. What did you search on?

I found it as the third, fourth and other hits when you search rain x visor site:fjrforum.com at Google.

Plexus works great at cleaning & beading the water, also.

Ive used Rain X for many years on cars, Etc... and the stuff really works... Can we use it with success on our wind shields and maybe helmet visors ? I'm just not sure about the plastic ? Has anyone ? Thanks
Can't say I've ever done the windshield, and as mentioned, Plexus does a pretty decent job of it. I do however give my visors a really good cleaning and Rain-X treatment before long trips. I figger if it pooches the visor, I'm out $25, not $250 so the trade off is worth it.

That reminds me, I've got to put it on my list of things to do for next week :yahoo:

Rain-X says no. (And most plastic manufacturers) It could skank your plastic. However, many here will say that they have done so with success. In the past, I have even done so with success. But, I watched a friend turn his Kawasaki ZG1200 windscreen into a nasty milky color doing the same exact thing.
Bottom line, do so at your own risk.

Thanks, thats what I kinda thought..

Use something that's DESIGNED for it, Nickwax Visor Proof
Thanks, im going to look into the link you sent... appreciate it !

Can't say I've ever done the windshield, and as mentioned, Plexus does a pretty decent job of it. I do however give my visors a really good cleaning and Rain-X treatment before long trips. I figger if it pooches the visor, I'm out $25, not $250 so the trade off is worth it.

That reminds me, I've got to put it on my list of things to do for next week :yahoo:

Im with ya on the $25 VS $250+.... Are you going next week?

Yup. Mom's doing good (cancer), weather looks tolerable, all systems go for me cutting out early Wed morning. Should be arriving Thurs evening.

" Now here is a product that works and is safe for fiberglass, Plexiglass, Chrome almost anything accept rubber. Water beads and flys off just like rainx but lasts longer. Then i used it on the entire bike, 3 months ago, since then all I have had to do is hit it with the garden hose and wipe with a wet rag. Even the wonderfull Florida Love Bugs come right off. Brightest longest lasting shine I have ever had. "

https://rejex.com/

The above is one of many quotes from fellow members of another m/c forum I belong to...Just a fyi....

Does plexus make a scratch remover? If so where can it be bought? (seems I remember this stuff from the service)

Yup. Mom's doing good (cancer), weather looks tolerable, all systems go for me cutting out early Wed morning. Should be arriving Thurs evening.
What route are you taking to EOM?

(Sorry not meant to go off topic)
From Dallas, 30 to 40 up through Tennessee then over through WV.... I had a link to Google maps but it didn't work...... if you go put in Dallas too the WV FJR meeting point this is how where probably going....

I put some on my visor last night cause it was raining. While it was drying I read the warning saying not to use it on plastic. Too late and it seems to work fine. I don't reall sit behind my WS anyway so I can't see a reason to use it there.

I've used Rain-X for many years on my Shoei helmets and had no problems. YMMV on different shields. I haven't used it on the bike's shield because I don't look through it anyway, so don't care if water smears around. And I ride every day in the rainy PNW, so I know a little about riding in the rain.

I've applied Rain-X on my clear shield for my Arai helmet many a times with great results. Shield is clear as it was when new with no probs. I actually keep a small bottle w/ me on long trips incase of a rain storm. Irreplacable in the rain. Never did the windshield or a tinted face shield.

I've applied Rain-X on my clear shield for my Arai helmet many a times with great results. Shield is clear as it was when new with no probs. I actually keep a small bottle w/ me on long trips incase of a rain storm. Irreplacable in the rain. Never did the windshield or a tinted face shield.

Thanks man... might try it !!!