RAM Ball Mount for Mirror Hole

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put that clutch-side mirror hole to use: RAM M10 Mirror Hole Ball Adapter (Yes, it will fit the FJR; M10 x 1.25 pitch) I ordered one yesterday and received an email today saying that stock will be available for shipment after 3/18.

Save your money. Mine showed up today and it doesn't fit. The one that I ordered from Murphs does fit however.
Are you postive that you ordered the correct item..?? The part number is RAM-B-349U (M10 Mirror Hole Ball). According to RAM (whom I spoke with on Friday), it's not even going to ship until late this week. If the one from Murph's fits, the one from RAM should fit too; thread size is identical... Interesting. :huh:

I ordered it from your link above.
So what's not fitting? Is it not screwing into the hole, or the ball is too big for the area once it snugs down (measured it and it shouldn't be...) If it's the former, then I'm wondering if they just didn't send you the wrong part; one of the standard balls with SAE threads. (RAM seems to pass its order fulfillment through one of its regional dealers or distributors. Case in point: my order is coming from some outfit named custommounts.com) Out of curiosity, see if the threads match up to the adapter you got from Murph's. Then we'll know.

I suppose I"ll just have to wait until mine arrives to find out for sure...

Well upon further inspection it would appear that Cyclegadgets sent the wrong item.

The RAM ball on the left it supposed to be the 10M ball that I ordered from the link above (as you can see from the invoice). As with your order it was sent from a local vendor. Well The ball on the right with the adapter below it is the one I ordered from MURPH. I can screw the ball on the left into the adapter on the right. So clearly the thread pitch is wrong. I was hoping to be able to screw a ball directly into the mirror mout hole without using the adapter, which is why I ordered this, because I thought it would help a bit with vibration. Well now I'll have to contact someone at Cyclegadgets.com to clear this up. Sorry for the alarm!

RAMInvoice.jpg

Those bastards..! ;) I'll bet it was the 16 year-old part-timer working back in the stock room. Yeah, let's blame it on him..! :D

I also ordered the M10x1.25 threaded Ram ball and was shipped the wrong size. I have verified that the Ram ball received today was actually a 3/8-16 threaded Ram ball. I don't have the shipping slip with me. I will verify everything tomorrow and call to get the correct Ram ball.

If anyone has ordered the RAM M10 mirror ball and has already received it, it's likely the wrong one. Here's a copy of the email that Mark at custommounts.com sent me:

=========================

Ram has forwarded your RAM website order to us for processing and shipping. We need to inform you that the part you ordered, the RAM-B-349, is a new item not yet released by RAM. Ram is showing a release date of the 18th of this month. We would be glad to hold your order, and ship once this is available. Of course we will not charge your credit card until we actually ship your order. Please let us know, and we will proceed accordingly. If you have any questions, please give us a call at your earliest convenience, and we would be glad to assist you any way we can.

Thank You,

Mark

www.custommounts.com

"A Full Line RAM Mounts Distributor"

1-800-789-0087

Direct Extension - 101

Email: [email protected]

M-F 7:30am to 5:00 pm PST

=========================

These guys are apparently on the ball (no real pun intended).

Here is the email that I got from CycleGadgets.com this morning.

You recently purchased a product from us, part #RAM-POST10M, which is supposed to be a RAM ball with M10x1.25 threaded post. Apparently RAM made a mistake in the manufacturing process, and these were all threaded as SAE 3/8-16 posts.
We are working with RAM to get corrected parts in stock as quickly as possible, and a replacement will be sent to you when that happens. Nothing is required on your part, we won't need the defective piece back. I will notify you when we have an expected date on the corrected items.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and we'll try to get this problem resolved with the least possible delay.

Same email I got this afternoon. <_<

Here is the email that I got from CycleGadgets.com this morning.

You recently purchased a product from us, part #RAM-POST10M, which is supposed to be a RAM ball with M10x1.25 threaded post. Apparently RAM made a mistake in the manufacturing process, and these were all threaded as SAE 3/8-16 posts.
We are working with RAM to get corrected parts in stock as quickly as possible, and a replacement will be sent to you when that happens. Nothing is required on your part, we won't need the defective piece back. I will notify you when we have an expected date on the corrected items.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and we'll try to get this problem resolved with the least possible delay.

I spoke with Mark @ custommounts.com this afternoon and relayed the contents of the email received by FJR1300A (and now apparently rfulcher as well). He said he'd check with RAM to see if that was indeed the case and call me right back. Within 10 minutes, he called back to say that he'd spoken with his distributor rep at RAM and confirmed that the RAM M10 Mirror Hole Ball (p/n RAM-B-349U) had not yet left their warehouse (as RAM themselves were still awaiting its arrival) and that there was no "mistake in the manufacturing process". According to RAM, it could be up to 2 weeks until it is available at their dealers.

All this for a ~$10.00 part... ;)

I just this minute received an emailed invoice for my order, with the correct part number.

I haven't seen a shipping notice, but since I ordered 2 weeks ago, I'll assume they invoiced today because it's shipping.

Hmm.... Interesting reply this morning from gomobilenow.com regarding my order:

"I am replying to you due to Mark being out of the office today. We did get a lot of the new RAM parts we were waiting on however the M10 Mirror hole ball has been backordered further (about 1-2 weeks). I don’t want it to seem like we are giving you the run around but we just go off of what RAM tells us, we do have your order in our computer system so as soon as this part reaches our warehouse it will get shipped out that same day or the next day at the latest. Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions, have a great day."

At least they haven't charged my credit card yet...

Yeah, I just emailed my distributor. . . . Package arrived today MINUS the 10mm threaded ball! Which I paid for nearly 2 weeks ago!

I emailed the distributor who sent it and asked that if the part was backordered to kindly let me know (which they didn't) and would they substitute their clutch reservoir piece (RAM-B-309-1) if the 10mm will be unavailable.

My problem is they charged me 10 or 11 days ago, didn't ship till yesterday, and it's incomplete! She knows how pleased I am about it. . . . :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! She found me one at another distributor and had it Fed-Exed! It is in my grubby hands even as we speak. (Actually on my grubby bike:)

RAM-mountmirrorhole.jpg

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I ordered a ball and a mounting bracket yesterday before checking this thread (brilliant of me I know). Order confirmed, but no money off my credit card yet. No emails saying don't hold your breath, either so I'll cross my fingers. At least it isn't an auxiliary fuel system......... ;)

Wow! She found me one at another distributor and had it Fed-Exed! It is in my grubby hands even as we speak. (Actually on my grubby bike:)
RAM-mountmirrorhole.jpg

I'm glad someone got one of these (at least I know for sure that they actually exist!!!!). I ordered, and paid for, mine on March 12th and still don't have it!

RAM-mountmirrorhole.jpg

Well those cork-soaking, morter-forking master baiters..! :glare: Figures I'd get passed off to the RAM distributor that gets their orders dead last!! :angry2:

So who wants to sell me their "defective" part?

Defective my ass....there's a "hunnid" ways you could adapt that 3/8-16 thread.

PM me a price and I'll Paypal ya. :D

Sorry to rub it in, but I ordered mine from SpoiledBiker on April 1.

1 RAM MOUNT BASE W/ M10 X 1.25 PITCH & 1" BALL: RAM-B-349U

Got it 4 days later.

My 2610 sits up real pretty on that thing.

Yeah, ain't it great?

I like the position of the ball. RAM makes the clutch/brake clamp mount, but this puts the device back a bit, and out of the way. A lot of people swear by their stem mounts, but I just don't see it working for me, it seems it would be more in the way there.

On the mirror hole with the short arm (1.75") the 2610 ends up next to and slightly below the tach in my line of site, along the line you could picture from the speedo through the tach. This picture is from the camera resting on the trunk box for stability.

Since I have a mirror hole on the right side, too, I'm thinking about getting another set to hold my phone, easier to reach than my jacket pocket, and would make caller ID visible and the END button accessible (I can't disconnect a call with my Bluetooth headset - it disconnects when the other party hangs up, but if I get voice mail on a call I originate it will hold the line open forever, leaving a very boring message; I have to find the phone and press END, which usually means stopping and fishing it out of my pocket, or worse, from under the seat.)

Viewfromtopboxzoomed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: