RAM Ball Mount for Mirror Hole

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those (like me) still waiting on the Unobtanium RAM-B-349 - I spoke with Brian at RAM this afternoon. He said that they expect to ship to their distributors in the next day or two.

I truly believe that the only reason I got mine when I did was because I emailed the distributor, and RAM, three times a week about it. I say everyone that ordered one and hasn't received it should let them know how dissatisfied they are with the service on this product.

For those (like me) still waiting on the Unobtanium RAM-B-349 - I spoke with Brian at RAM this afternoon. He said that they expect to ship to their distributors in the next day or two.

The 2610 looks great up there - I'm considering the same setup.

I know it's waterproof - but figured I'd ask - any issue with the 2610 being "unprotected" during rainstorms (ie. not stuck behind the windshield?). The setup as pictured seems to leave the memory card slot and the cable connection a little more exposed to the wind/weather than I'd had previously.

My 2610's been on the Harley for about 20K miles - and has been bulletproof. It's soon to move to the FJR!

Yeah, ain't it great?
I like the position of the ball. RAM makes the clutch/brake clamp mount, but this puts the device back a bit, and out of the way. A lot of people swear by their stem mounts, but I just don't see it working for me, it seems it would be more in the way there.

On the mirror hole with the short arm (1.75") the 2610 ends up next to and slightly below the tach in my line of site, along the line you could picture from the speedo through the tach. This picture is from the camera resting on the trunk box for stability.

Since I have a mirror hole on the right side, too, I'm thinking about getting another set to hold my phone, easier to reach than my jacket pocket, and would make caller ID visible and the END button accessible (I can't disconnect a call with my Bluetooth headset - it disconnects when the other party hangs up, but if I get voice mail on a call I originate it will hold the line open forever, leaving a very boring message; I have to find the phone and press END, which usually means stopping and fishing it out of my pocket, or worse, from under the seat.)

Viewfromtopboxzoomed.jpg

Wow! That took a long time! Finally picked mine up today from UPS. Now here's something I'm hoping someone can help me with. How tight do you screw them into the mirror mount? Any torque specs I should be following? And do you use blue locktite as well? I'm just a little paranoid about it twisting loose while riding.

Cheers!

I know it's waterproof - but figured I'd ask - any issue with the 2610 being "unprotected" during rainstorms (ie. not stuck behind the windshield?). The setup as pictured seems to leave the memory card slot and the cable connection a little more exposed to the wind/weather than I'd had previously.

My 2610's been on the Harley for about 20K miles - and has been bulletproof. It's soon to move to the FJR!
Sorry I missed this, I wasn't {intentionally} ignoring you :unsure:

Have had no issues with water, although I am very careful whenever I'm through with the USB to make sure the cover is well and truly secured afterward. It got a thorough dousing when I went to Atlanta the last weekend of April.

Wow! That took a long time! Finally picked mine up today from UPS. Now here's something I'm hoping someone can help me with. How tight do you screw them into the mirror mount? Any torque specs I should be following? And do you use blue locktite as well? I'm just a little paranoid about it twisting loose while riding.
Cheers!
I used blue Loctite. Even if it comes loose, it ain't gonna go around enough times to fall out. As a matter of fact, it did loosen in my stupid cat lowside (or should that be stupid lowside for a cat?), but the Garmin never reached the pavement. Removed it, more Loctite, re-tightend it.

I'm not sure what torque that hole would stand up to, so tighten it till it cracks and back off a quarter turn. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry I missed this, I wasn't {intentionally} ignoring you :unsure:

Have had no issues with water, although I am very careful whenever I'm through with the USB to make sure the cover is well and truly secured afterward. It got a thorough dousing when I went to Atlanta the last weekend of April.

Cheers!
I used blue Loctite. Even if it comes loose, it ain't gonna go around enough times to fall out. As a matter of fact, it did loosen in my stupid cat lowside (or should that be stupid lowside for a cat?), but the Garmin never reached the pavement. Removed it, more Loctite, re-tightend it.

I'm not sure what torque that hole would stand up to, so tighten it till it cracks and back off a quarter turn. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Tighten till it breaks and back off... I love it. :)

Cheers!

I'm getting ready to do this install with the RAM-B-349U for the LH mirror hole, Ram-B-201U double socket arm, RAM-B-238U diamond base with ball, and the appropriate Garmin Nuvi specific holder for my GPS. Anyone found an advantage to using a longer double socket arm or is shorter better for less vibration? Back when this was posted there was a long delay in getting the M10x1.25 pitch threaded ball. Has anyone done this recently, and did you get the right part the first time?

Can't answer anything except the arm length. That mount position puts the GPS (or whatever) pretty high already, and if you try to lean it forward it will hit the windshield, if you try to lean it back it will hit a tank bag if you use one. If you use a long arm to lean it towards the center I don't think you can do it without blocking the gauges.

Can't answer anything except the arm length. That mount position puts the GPS (or whatever) pretty high already, and if you try to lean it forward it will hit the windshield, if you try to lean it back it will hit a tank bag if you use one. If you use a ling arm to lean it towards the center I don't think you can do it without blocking the gauges.
I've got the mirror ball for a camera that I use occasionally but for my GPS I much prefer Dave's "Rambone". It mounts to the 2 tank bolts, remains stationary and centered. Quality gear from a forum member.

Rambone from Dave at WynPro