(Raven) Black fully-faired 2008 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All dark colors show any imperfection a lot more than lighter colors. Life's too uncertain to worry about trivial shit like that anyway, just ride the damn thing!

If you ride it—which is the idea—the bike is going to get dirty and attract bugs, stone chips, scratches, swirl marks, fingerprints, and on and on. Riding and maintaining a showroom appearance are incompatible. So, ride it, keep it as clean and shiny as you can, and don't worry about it.

My SO is telling me that buying the Black model, is likely to drive me nuts by showing every spec of dirt, finger prints, micro-scratches, etc......
She is in favor of a cherry 2007, even with the 2008 improvements considered.....

I have never owned a Black machine, esp. with a large fairing.

Does anyone have experience with the black-painted fairing bikes ? Is it as bad as she says ???

I know a few guys with black cars, and they show waxing swirls, specs and scratches pretty clearly....

ALSO - Buy what *you* want, not what "seems reasonable". If it was reasonable, you'd buy a used Honda Civic. Get what your heart desires - otherwise, in some dark corner, you'll be pissed that somebody - even your wonderful SO - talked you out of something YOU wanted.

:)

Thanks for all the info. I think I have my answer, said by many......

"Just ride the damn thing"....

I keep forgetting that the joy is "out there" on the road.....

Not sitting parked to be looked at....

The tool is best when used...not simply viewed....

Waiting on the BLACK now....

MrMung

My FJR is the only bike (out of 5) that I have that is NOT black....and I'm just trying to decide if it's worth $4K to upgrade to the new black one.........Oh, and both of my cars are black, too....

It's a little more work but waaay worth it, IMO..

Last edited by a moderator:
Since 2004, there has not been a good color IMO (unless you opted for the boring AE). The 2008 is the first time I considered a change.

A black bike would not be near as bad as cage. Like others said, ride it. You can always wipe it down quickly when you park it for the night. Cleaning and polishing is for showroom bikes that don't get ridden.

I have a black truck, and I use it, so it gets diry and minor scratches, but it doesn't look horrible.

Get a 2008 (is has some improvements over 2007), or wait until the FJR has a good and legible speedometer again.

IMHO

I have had a black car, 1969 Lincoln Mark III, and a black bike, 1978 Suzuki GS550E.

Both looked really sweet when they were clean and dust free, however to keep them that way was an ongoing task.

It got to be a PITA after a while. Since then I have never owned another black vehicle.

Even if a person was obsessed with keeping a 2008 FJR spotless, there's just not a great deal of black surface area to clean. So... it might take 10 minutes... big deal. But if it were me, I'd clean my big ass CalSci windscreen daily, and the rest of the bike every now and then. It's more fun to ride than clean.

But like someone else said: "life is uncertain" so... eat dessert first!

MrMung
:clapping: Congratulations! :clapping:

Resistance WAS futile, you hve been assimilated... :blink:

I owned an '04 Cerulean and now have an '05 Galaxy Blue. Yep, the blue is more dificult to keep clean, but I clean the bugs off and wipe down the bodywork with Honda Cleaner & Polish using a micro fiber cloth. Good enough! Now where are we heading???

Last year from Sacramento to Park City via NorCal, OR, ID, WY to UT, I only cleaned the windshield. I had a great ride there and back. :) You will share and enjoy the same sense of adventure! :yahoo:

BTW, if your wife-unit cleans your bike, might I suggest YOU bring HER beverage of choice, then take her to dinner and bring her favorite flowers.......

I own a couple of black XXs and an '05 galaxy blue. I use Tech Wax with a clay bar pre prep as a finish protector. I find that a California Duster will get the majority of the fine dust that attaches to the front fairings and I follow it up with Honda spray polish for a quick detail touch up.

Installing a Fenda Extenda helps keep a lot of the road grung off of the plastics, too.

Oh, and I will probably get an '08 too.

Love that black! :assassin:

MrMung

That's better!

Honda Spray cleaner (the Harley mechs use it too!)

Microfiber towels...

and a bottle to keep you bug collection in! :D

mary