RC51 - comments?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the RC for a while as I like the feel of a Vtwin engine.The RC has a good reputation as a good cornering machine.

It isn't going to have the power of other liter bikes but who cares.

I do hear from some that the seat is somewhat of a torture device compared to other sport bikes.

I have never heard anything particularly bad about them that would keep me away. They are a honda...

The TL is no longer made and the RC is so that might say something... The TL was too big probably to be competitive...

Only thing I have read from some RC owners is it really isn't a city bike it is a corner carving machine.

You do already have a FJR so this shouldn't be a concern.

I have never been on a RC-51 but I have ridden with several riders that do have them.

But first I want to clear up a common misconception, the TLR is a very capable motorcyle, it is no heavier than the RC.

The listed dry wieghts for a 2001 RC-51 is 439 lbs, 2001 TLR is 434 lbs. V-twins are heavier than I-4's by the nature of their design. Even the Ducati 999 wieghs in at 410 lbs, where a GSX-R1000 wieghs 365 lbs.

Suzuki discontinued the TLR in 2004 and put a milder version of the TL motor in the SV1000.

The friends that have RC's say the same things, somewhat notchy fuel injection at slow speeds, the TLR does the same. A rock for a seat, other than that, a bullet proof engine and a sweet handling bike.

I have a 2001 TLR and it is a hoot to ride, reasonably comfortable for a sport bike. I rode it from Chicago to CT without any serious issues.

My only issues with the TL is somewhat notchy fuel injection at slow speed, you can address that with a power commander or an Ivan's TRE. When you get stuck in traffic your left ass check will get roasted.

Other than those things I love the bike and you do not see them everywhere you go.

One of the issues for the TL's that was reported in the magazines was the rotary damper. It said because of it's small oil capacity, the damper could overheat and fade. I guess that may be true if you are using it on the track, but I have ridden it hard with guys with RC's, GSx-R1000's etc. and never had a problem with the damper. The bike has been rock solid and I have had it for over five years.

On any of the V-twins you will not be able to keep up on high speed high way runs if you are so inclined, but on the twisty stuff you can stay right with them. It is a very cool feeling to power out of a corner and hear the sound of the v-twin engine. I find V-twins (actually L-twins) easier to ride in the twisty stuff.

If you do get an RC or a TL you have to get aftermarket pipes or cans. The cans that come with them are far too restrictive and have a funky muted sound. I have Yoshimura pipes on my TL and she sounds sweet and goes like hell.

It is a perfect combination, FJR for long trips and commuting and TLR for back road blasts.

Life is good. :D

Bikes%20new%202%20resize.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bikes%20new%202%20resize.jpg

Wow nice TLR! I had a '98 Blu/Whi. I loved that bike. I had never had a sport bike and found that one really easy to ride. I love the v-twins anyway. I wish I had it back. I had broken my kneecap, so it was uncomfortable to sit on it for any amount of time. Maybe I'll get one again....famous last words I guess.

Rick

Yep, sweet bike your tlr. I have known a few that had RC's and a few with the TLR and the story is just as you said. I never heard really any bad comments about the TLR's.

Good to know they weigh the same. I always thought the RC was smaller.

Both are bikes I always had my eye on...

Very cool...

It absolutely sucks in traffic and as a commuter. Get her above 40mph where the wind helps lift you a bit and out into the twisties and you'd be hard pressed to find a more fun machine.

I've owned a few other inline-4 "liter" bikes including an FZR-1000 and a CBR954 and have recently put some miles on a Buell Lightning, Gixxer 600 and 750. The RC is heavier, slower, and probably a little less comfortable than most of them but the sound it makes and the torque of the twin is absolutely intoxicating. The power band is MUCH more useable than the current 1000's on the street.

Funny how perspectives vary though....I was considering selling her to get an FJR! :D

Link to some pics:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-rc5...t=mods+complete

I put 15K miles on a CBR929 before getting the FJR. The wife and I did lots of 300-mile days, several 400- mile days, and one 600-mile day. But it's a bit more comfortable than the RC51, I believe.

I'd say get the RC51 if you find one in the right condition at the right price. If it doesn't work out, turn it quick and get your money back.

Check out the RC forums, add the PCIII USB and the air box mod and a pipe. I'd keep a Sunday afternoon twisty bike if I could.

This quote is borrowed from the homepage of www.rc51.org and it sums the bike up perfectly.

"If you are a good rider it will prove & exploit your skill to the world, if you are mediocre it will kick you in the teeth & laugh at you. It is purpose built for strafing curves, serious commuters or tourers need not apply. It can light a fire in your soul that is not fueled by adrenaline, but by passion & when you ride it nothing else matters except it, you & making the next turn."

Check out www.rc51.org, www.fireblades.com, and www.rc51.com for more info. The only way to describe it is that the bike has a soul. Any inline four can be replaced by next year's new and improved model. The RC is truly unique. If you own or ride one, you'll understand that it's more about how much fun a bike is to ride than owning the latest and greatest in technology and horesepower.

...The only way to describe it is that the bike has a soul.... If you own or ride one, you'll understand that it's more about how much fun a bike is to ride than owning the latest and greatest in technology and horesepower.

Isn't that how HD riders describe thier bikes? :p :p :p

HEY Its a joke! :D :D :D :D

...The only way to describe it is that the bike has a soul.... If you own or ride one, you'll understand that it's more about how much fun a bike is to ride than owning the latest and greatest in technology and horesepower.

Isn't that how HD riders describe thier bikes? :p :p :p

HEY Its a joke! :D :D :D :D
I thought about that when I typed it. However, when I did it was b/c you truly get that feeling when the bike is performing in its element. I wasn't justifying why you'd put up with a bike that shakes so much that it rattles its parts off. ;)

now looking at either a Honda Super Hawk or Suzuki SV-1000s.
Both have better ergos and lighter than the RC-51.
Now you are talking, both bikes are great but I would have to say the SV. It has great suspension, many use it as a track bike, has good ergo's. That would be my choice but The Super Hawk is a cool bike.

The RC is a great track bike, which is what it was built for... the track. It has a close ratio transmission with a very tall first gear which makes it a bear in traffic or around town. One of the other twins would serve you better if it's a twin you want. The 929 suggestion isn't bad as it's been known to be one of the more comfortable sport bikes around, with its seating position a little more upright. the bars are just above the triple clamp. The RC bars are below the triple.

I rode a buddies up Mines Rd out in CA on the way to the Lick Observatory and we were doing these 90 degree switch backs and the bike was horrible! Lugging around the corners in first, reaching power band only to have to back off and slow for the next corner. I switched bikes and got on a Ducati which was a total blast in that stuff.

It's a great bike if you use it for what it was intended, the track. But it's not a good all around sport bike. A TL or SV, Aprilia or Duc would be a better street bike. Get the Aprilia Tuono.. it's a real hooligan bike and looks great without being a lay down type sport bike.

now looking at either a Honda Super Hawk or Suzuki SV-1000s.
Both have better ergos and lighter than the RC-51.
Both are great bikes but if you are set on a twin take a look at a Tuono. I have an 06 FJR that is a fabulous bike and an 03 Tuono that is the perfect play bike. This past season I had almost as many miles on the Tuono as the FJR. It is a freakin riot. This is the perfect combo.

Hey there,I own two RC51's and one is track only with too much into it,my street rider is not too far from stock,but they are one of the best all around bikes you'd ever want. If you have any questions ,just ask

P7150044.jpg
The best bike I have ever owned! I have 35,000. miles on her and I will never sell her. I would get a 2002 or latter for the fact of better frame swing arm and 4 more hp!