RDL Seat options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went RDL front and back. Half moon stitch, vinyl with the basket weave pattern. All I've done to mine to maintain it is soap and water when I wash the bike. It is holding up great, currently on season 4 & over 25,000 miles, no signs of cracks or splits.

I don't know if I'd like leather over vinyl. All I've ever sat on while on a bike is vinyl so my can doesn't know the difference. After reading what others have said on how they have cared for their leather RDLs, I will consider going leather when a rebuild is needed.

When I got the RDL it was a bit higher than stock but they told me when I ordered the seat give it 500 to 1000 miles to break in. I followed their advice, after a few weeks it was a tad lower and I didn't have to send it back. It is even more broken in and the height is even better. Expensive but never regretted spending the money for one second, it's that comfortable.

Mailed front seat in today. Opted for leather and small diamonds. Build date of early August. Should have it back just in time before 50CC from NYC to SF in September.

I am glad I bought a used seat as there is no way I could go that long without riding.

Looks like I am too late to the party to throw my .02 in. But for future readers of the thread,

When I did a ride in for my seat I was torn between leather and vinyl, after talking with the builders I went with straight black vinyl. And I could not be happier. I was told that if you wear riding gear - such as riding pants - your butt will not know the difference between leather and vinyl, but if you just wear the assless chaps and jeans your butt would know. I was told that the vinyl will actually hold up better and longer and be less maintenance. Leather looks better, and could be slicker for man made material riding pants according to them, I wanted less maintenance and if my butt did not know any different I did not care. They also told me that the basket weave would be a bit slicker with riding gear as well.

I also opted for the rectangles, as I was told that all the stitching in the diamonds makes the seat just a bit less water resistant because of all the extra needle holes. So if you go with the diamonds, I would tell you to pay the extra and get a rain cover for it as well. I am a pansy ass as well, so I opted for the heater.... do not regret that one bit! The break in is a bit longer than what they say in my experience as well, as time goes on, it gets better and better. I had no issues last year on my C2C run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I really wanted to get a seat in time for a 4,000 mile trip to the Rockies I have planned on August 20th but I was told today by RDL that they currently have over a 350 seat backlog (they got 7 orders yesterday) and if I gave them an order form today I would have an August 10th build date. With a week and a half build time I would be just shy of getting it in time. I really thought that I was okay since their website said 2 - 3 weeks to get a production slot, not 10 weeks! Bummer--looks like I will be using my Airhawk again.

Yeah, this is their peak season. That is a big (soon to be sore) bummer..

Here's an idea for you... Maybe you can find someone local to "rent" you their Russell FJR seat(s) for your trip? How long is it going to be? A week or two? Maybe someone will let you use theirs for your vacation for some agreed upon remuneration? You could make post in the "classified wanted" subforum with whatever you are willing to give and see if you can find any takers.

It wouldn't be as comfortable as your own, custom made Russell seat, but it will be a pleasure compared to a stock seat and airhawk pad.

Well, I really wanted to get a seat in time for a 4,000 mile trip to the Rockies I have planned on August 20th but I was told today by RDL that they currently have over a 350 seat backlog (they got 7 orders yesterday) and if I gave them an order form today I would have an August 10th build date. With a week and a half build time I would be just shy of getting it in time. I really thought that I was okay since their website said 2 - 3 weeks to get a production slot, not 10 weeks! Bummer--looks like I will be using my Airhawk again.
Huzzah! They've decreased it from their former 6 months.

Plan A

h

e

a

d

What I really need is for one of those 350 ahead of me to trade production slots with me if they can wait until the end of August for theirs. Any takers out there?

RDL is trying to work with me on this, but no guarantees. They have assigned me an August 3rd production date and with an estimated 2 week build time and 2nd day air delivery I might get the seat on August 19th, the day before I leave on my trip. Hopefully they can speed up the production a day or two to give a little more wiggle room. Fingers crossed.