Re-waterproofing riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a First Gear Kilamanjaro that is 6-8 years old. I could not ride for about 3, so reduce usage by that amount. I figure there is about 80,000 miles on this jacket.

Last week, I found it does not seem to be as waterproof as it used to be. Here is my question:

1. Can I use anything effective to re-waterproof the jacket?

2. Is it just time for a new one based on age and mileage?

Thanks

Worth a shot to try Camp Dry. Spray can $4-6. Works for a pair of "Wind-proof" gloves I use for rain in the Summer. Have to reapply each Season.

IF it's seeping in at the zippers, fogettaboutit!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need WheatieWax!!
flirt.gif

I've read that ballistic nylon protective over wear should probably be replaced after 7-8 + years (arbitrary figure?) because the UV rays and other environmental factors reduce the strength of the material and effecting the protective ability. Makes sense I guess.

I had the same issue with a Teknic jacket which seemed to be less water repellent as the years went by. I used this:

https://www.soundrider.com/archive/products/nikwax.htm

It did help but I never felt that it was as good as new though. Maybe the nylon does "wear out" after all. Anyway, It's cheap enough to try and it may work better for you with your particular jacket.

Some waterproof fabrics such as Gortex do well if simply washed every couple of seasons, using a mild soap, not a detergent, and definitely no "softener" added. I do this, using some wool washing stuff that SWMBO has in the cupboard.

The reasoning is that the material is porous to be breathable, but if the pores get clogged with dirt they can leach water through.

You can get stuff to wash them in that is supposed to be beneficial, I think Nikwax supply this - as well as making the spray-on stuff that wheatonFJR mentioned. A spray can only be effective if you can spray it on the water-proof layer, many jackets (and pants) have the water-proofing material as an internal liner.

But, as FJRacer points out, if the water is getting in through zips, seams or tears, you might as well bin the jacket as far as riding in the rain is concerned.

I would really like to see Motorcycle Consumer News or someone do a comparison test of waterproofing products. I too have a Kilimanjaro jacket which is gray. I wore it for about a year and I finally decided it needed cleaning. I washed it with powder detergent which cleaned the dirt spots from it and then sprayed it with some waterproofing spray from the camping section at Walmart that smelled really bad. It was water proof/resistant but the jacket seemed to get dirty in about a month. I thought it was because of the spray. I contacted First Gear and they told me to use the Nikwax 2 step process. The cleaner to get the detergent residue out of the jacket and the sealer to restore the waterproofing. The cleaner did not get the dirt spots off of the jacket after 2 washings. The Nikwax sealer was questionable in waterproofing but to give it credit I was riding in a 3 day long big storm in Australia. The jacket seemed to get really dirty in about 2 weeks of constant riding. After returning from Australia I again did the 2 step Nikwax process after washing the jacket with powder detergent to get it clean. I left for a 2 week trip to the Pacific Northwest. I noticed that the jacket was showing dirt again after only 2 days of riding. Nikwax is supposed to prevent spots but is not working for me. Rain did NOT bead on the fabric like it did when the jacket was new. Now I have washed the jacket in the Nikwax cleaner after hand brushing the dirt stains with Resolve and sprayed it with Kiwi Camp Dry Performance Fabric Protector. I will probably ride to the midwest next week and give it a test. My next cleaning will be with Penguin brand cleaner/ water treatment. The search goes on. My previous jackets were red and did not show dirt as bad as the gray. I used Resolve, powder detergent and Heavy Duty Scotchgard (no longer available) on them with good luck. I remain unimpressed with Nikwax.

I bought some stuff in a squirt bottle called 303 that works really well, but it's spendy, around $20 for smallish bottle.

Washing with this first:https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

Re-waterproofing with this when your jacket is wet yet for better results:

https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=16&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

I use these two products for years now and they are very good!
Pretty much agree with Mihalis on the TechWash for the initial cleaning/preparation but then I use TX.Direct Wash In It has always worked for me.

I bought some stuff in a squirt bottle called 303 that works really well, but it's spendy, around $20 for smallish bottle.
That is the product that Motoport uses on their gear. I have used it on other fabrics and been satisfied with the results.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard is a non toxic, ozone safe advanced fluoropolymer protectant that can be used effectively on a wide variety of fabrics. It is specifically designed to provide excellent Water & Oil repellency, superior stain resistance and to prevent the formation of mildew. It protects from the harshest of environments, yet is safe enough to be used on the finest wools and silks. This fabric guard also provides high quality UV protection, which helps to prevent any treated surfaces from fading or becoming prematurely damaged by the sun.

https://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=143&cid=10&Itemid=15

That is the product that Motoport uses on their gear. I have used it on other fabrics and been satisfied with the results.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard is a non toxic, ozone safe advanced fluoropolymer protectant that can be used effectively on a wide variety of fabrics. It is specifically designed to provide excellent Water & Oil repellency, superior stain resistance and to prevent the formation of mildew. It protects from the harshest of environments, yet is safe enough to be used on the finest wools and silks. This fabric guard also provides high quality UV protection, which helps to prevent any treated surfaces from fading or becoming prematurely damaged by the sun.

https://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=143&cid=10&Itemid=15
Thanks for the Link. Nice to have options.

I've found over the years, that with a lot of waterproof garments a wash and dry helps a LOT. As mentioned by a previous poster, wash in a light detergent. One air dry, a short time in the tumble dryer on low heat helps fabrics "rediscover" their water repellency. Sounds simple and too good to be true - it's free after all But it works. I don't know why.

Many of the waterproofing products are wax based. Warming them up in the drier must soften the wax and allow it to flow about.

Well, I am a dummy. After returning homecI checked my invoices. ApparentlyvI boughtvthis jacket in 2000, not 2007. So...it owes me nothing andvI ambgoing to just replace it.

Thanks for all your replies.

As I understand it you should NEVER use detergent of any kind on waterproof gear. One of the washes from dirrerent vendors should be used. I've always had limited success with any kind of wash in, anyhow.

I usually just buy new gear when waterproofing life ends.

Latest posts