Re-waterproofing Waterproof Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using a pair of Oxtar boots for several years now and they have served me well. Very comfortable on and off the bike. They have leather uppers (they probably go about 1/2 way up my shin) and GoreTex liners. I noticed on the last day that I rode in the rain (not a short storm, but a day long rain ride) my feet were wet by the end of the day. I have some Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct that I have used with some success on my Firstgear HT overpants (with their "ShellTex" brand of breathable liner), but I don't know if I could / should use it on the inside of the boots. The liners are sewn in - they can't be removed.

Has anyone tried using products like this on GT lined boots? If not, what other solutions have you used? In the past, I used to use Snow Seal (bees wax) on leather work books to water proof them, and it works well. I was thinking about doing that here, but I am concerned that it might defeat the breathability properties of the Gore Tex.

Hmmm? Thoughts?

TIA

In the past, I used to use Snow Seal (bees wax) on leather work books to water proof them, and it works well. I was thinking about doing that here, but I am concerned that it might defeat the breathability properties of the Gore Tex.
I snow seal my Matrix boots once a season and didn't notice them being any less breathable the first time I did it, but it did make them more water resistant....especially in the toe area.

+1 on the snow seal. I melt it and brush it on with the boots warm. I am on my third set of oxtar boots with no problems.

In the past, I used to use Snow Seal (bees wax) on leather work books to water proof them, and it works well. I was thinking about doing that here, but I am concerned that it might defeat the breathability properties of the Gore Tex.
I snow seal my Matrix boots once a season and didn't notice them being any less breathable the first time I did it, but it did make them more water resistant....especially in the toe area.
That's where I think I am getting the leakage. The toe area of the boots are starting to look a little worn. I think I am going to go ahead and give that a try.

Thanks.

That's where I think I am getting the leakage. The toe area of the boots are starting to look a little worn. I think I am going to go ahead and give that a try.

Thanks.
McNett REVIVEX

Gortex needs to be revitalized from time to time as it ages. theres a couple of products that you can wash into your garmets that re-establishes the waterproofness of the gortex. The product mentioned above is the spray that you can use on boot to help restore the seal. i've used it before with good results. i also spray the tips of my boots with a water repellent product right before a big trip. if that doesnt do it, you need to look into purchasing another set of boots.

GreyGoose

I have a pair of Oxtar's too and love them. They are my favorite pair of shoes. I haven't noticed that they are getting any less waterproof but I rarely ride for full days in the rain.

I've just had them resoled for the second time. Costs aboout $50 and I get a few more years out of them then do it again. He also gives them a great shine and they look like new. Last time he put a new shifter patch on as the old one had worn through. I think the new patch is better than the old one. The insides are still in good shape.

The existance of the cobbler is getting rare. Think about it before you toss a salvagable pair of boots that you like.

He can also fix zippers and do soft luggage repairs too.

I have Oxtar's also, great boot, no leakage yet, 5 years old. I haven't put anything on them yet but after reading this I think I will try some snow seal.

leather oil

leather dressing

I've had real good luck with this product. The leather oil does well in light rain but does not clog up leather. The leather dressing is good for really wet conditions. I use it on all my leather gear: Fox Creek leather jacket, Aerostich boots, gloves, Russell seat. It makes the leather look like new and it really penetrates the leather. The product has a pleasant pine odor.

I have a pair of Oxtar's too and love them. They are my favorite pair of shoes. I haven't noticed that they are getting any less waterproof but I rarely ride for full days in the rain. I've just had them resoled for the second time. Costs aboout $50 and I get a few more years out of them then do it again. He also gives them a great shine and they look like new. Last time he put a new shifter patch on as the old one had worn through. I think the new patch is better than the old one. The insides are still in good shape.

The existance of the cobbler is getting rare. Think about it before you toss a salvagable pair of boots that you like.

I too have a set of Oxtar boots and share the comments and praises of these. The soles on my current set are getting quite smooth in the font part of the sole. Since the soles are molded on i didn't think there was much that could be done to repair them, but based on what you say i guess i was wrong. What kind of repair guy/service can do this job well?

I have a pair of Oxtar's too and love them. They are my favorite pair of shoes. I haven't noticed that they are getting any less waterproof but I rarely ride for full days in the rain. I've just had them resoled for the second time. Costs aboout $50 and I get a few more years out of them then do it again. He also gives them a great shine and they look like new. Last time he put a new shifter patch on as the old one had worn through. I think the new patch is better than the old one. The insides are still in good shape.

I too have a set of Oxtar boots and share the comments and praises of these. The soles on my current set are getting quite smooth in the font part of the sole. Since the soles are molded on i didn't think there was much that could be done to repair them, but based on what you say i guess i was wrong. What kind of repair guy/service can do this job well?
I'd be interested in that info as well (resoling)...I love my Oxtars; as comfortable as slippers.

Mink oil or Snow Seal, an electric hair drier, a few beers and a good Formula 1 race (F1 not mandatory but gives the best results. Any decent road race or MC race will get you there...but avoid NASCAR like the plague or your boots will be utterly destroyed). :dribble:

Heat the boot using the hair drier then slather on the goo...it should melt and flow into the seams and cracks. Apply the heat liberally to get good coverage then take a shoe brush or a cloth and buff 'em out. Will hold up for a good year of riding without a problem. Will not damage the material or affect the boot in any other appreciable way.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd be interested in that info as well (resoling)...I love my Oxtars; as comfortable as slippers.
I went to a local shoe repair shop in the low rent mall nearby. He's probably Eurpoean of some sort and works out of a small hole in the wall unit. I just picked up one of my saddle bag liners that had the seam fail and he fixed it for $8. Check out the ethnic part of town for this type of service.

If you had these boots you wouldn't need any water proofing. ;)

119912474_d058fa02ef.jpg

MINK OIL!!!
+ At least 5 by now, Mink Oil. Also I would check the glueing of the sole to the boot. Once your feet start getting wet that is usually the reason. The liner has not changed.

If you really want the scoop, head over to sport-touring.net and post there and hope to get DantesDame's attention.

Otherwise .. my understanding of Goretex and similar liners is that hte liner is the waterproofing. All the stuff that goes on the outside of the garment (or boots) to bead up water is for breathability. If you're getting water past the Goretex, the Goretex has been compromises any surface treatments will have minimal benefits.

What you need to watch for concerning leather is getting the right stuff. Mink oil is primarily used on smooth leathers (which I *think* the Oxstars are) to replenish the oils in the leather and keep it from splitting. But use it on the wrong kind of leather (like suede) and you'll plug the pores makeing them waterproof ... and non-breathable.

About ten years ago I ruined a pair of boots with some sort of waterproofing spray (camp-dry or something). Sure .. boots became waterproof .. but also held all moisture so my feet were always wet.