Winter Jacket Advice Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, not Klim, not Goretex, but <br />

Quite inexpensive and has a waterproof built in liner: <br />

<br />

<a href='https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_jerseys_and_vests/textile_jackets/first_gear/jaunt_t2_jacket_2013.html'>https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_jerseys_and_vests/textile_jackets/first_gear/jaunt_t2_jacket_2013.html</a>

One review says: "April 10, 2018

Just went out in 45 deg weather with my Firstgear Jaunt T2 jacket. The fit is excellent and as specified on your website. The insulation in the jacket is very good and kept me warm. Being high visability the jacket is very prominent when riding. The two sleeve adjustments are in the correct position so that the sleeves are not overly loose. For the price was an excellent buy"

Last edited by a moderator:
I would give Alex a shot...I know Klim is having a Black Friday sale...and I'd bet Alex could give you a great deal on a jacket, with the forum discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, I know there's lots of discussion here and there on the board and over the years, but a couple reasons to start a new thread on the subject:
First, maybe there's something new under the sun since the last go-round. Second, I wouldn't mind hearing from somebody who has a jacket they loved but don't still wear--like you gained or lost a bunch of weight, or went for something you really like better. I'm fine with buying used if it's in good shape and has all the parts, but it has to do everything I'm looking for too.

So what I need is a warm and waterproof (not water resistant) jacket that has some flexibility--meaning a removable warm liner and plenty of ventilation that works when it warms up.

Not interested in a one-piece at all. I have a great pair of Klim pants for winter, but I want to upgrade the jacket. I'm thinking Klim again, but I'm open to considering other brands. Is anything as good as Gore-Tex, really? That can't be the ONLY waterproof material, can it?

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts about what you have or have had, and loved or not loved. And if you happen to have something that fits the bill you want to part with, let me know that too. I'm about 6', maybe 6'1, 215, 46 or 48 in a sportcoat.
Oh so close! I logged on to post an Aerostitch Darien jacket - size 44. Contact me if you lose some weight - I'm 6' and 190#

Mike, not Klim, not Goretex, but Quite inexpensive and has a waterproof built in liner:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_jerseys_and_vests/textile_jackets/first_gear/jaunt_t2_jacket_2013.htmlOne review says: "April 10, 2018Just went out in 45 deg weather with my Firstgear Jaunt T2 jacket. The fit is excellent and as specified on your website. The insulation in the jacket is very good and kept me warm. Being high visability the jacket is very prominent when riding. The two sleeve adjustments are in the correct position so that the sleeves are not overly loose. For the price was an excellent buy"
Now down to 99 dollars, just reordered in a smaller size. They run big. I really like the initial fir and feel.

I am surprised Aerostich Darien is not mentioned, has Klim replaced Aerostich in the high end motorcycle Gore Tex gear? At least it is not a problem finding a BMW shop that carries Klim products you can try for proper fitting.

I've been wearing Klim Traverse jacket/trousers with Knox base layers in the winter here, which means anything from 1C-10C plus endless mist and drizzle. Never gotten too hot, never gotten too cold, and never gotten wet. An enduro rider pal at work has also just fitted himself out in Klim gear and has been tutting to himself over the last fortnight about why he hadn't done it sooner.

Is it overpriced, yes - bear in mind we here pay 20% tax on top, so that's a hell yes from me. Does it work, also yes.

Only real disappointment has been the Traverse top and bottom both saying MADE IN VIETNAM. One of the reasons I'd bought Klim was because of Uncle Sam, but apparently Uncle Sam has his feet up somewhere while Vietnamese workers get $120/month min. wage (which, incidentally, is an amount that wouldn't cover the pair of Klim Quest winter gloves I wear).

I have been wearing Tourmaster Transistion Jackets since 2010; for daily commuting down to 38 F in the Seattle, WA area with the liner in and in temps up to 105 F in Eastern Washington with the insulated liner removed and a cooling vest under the jacket. Never had any problem with water. Also wear the Tourmaster Overpant year round and have never had a problem with any water penetration as long as I treat it every year with NikWax, paying particular attention to the front zipper area. More than warm enough down to my lower temp limit of 38F and not overly warm during the hot summers. I don't particularly like the current version since it is mostly black with a few Hi-Viz panels. I would prefer a solid Hi-Viz jacket so am sticking with the Transition 3 I currently wear.

I have a Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pants.....with heat gear its good down to below freezing