Re-waterproofing Waterproof Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using a pair of Oxtar boots for several years now and they have served me well. Very comfortable on and off the bike. They have leather uppers (they probably go about 1/2 way up my shin) and GoreTex liners. I noticed on the last day that I rode in the rain (not a short storm, but a day long rain ride) my feet were wet by the end of the day. I have some Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct that I have used with some success on my Firstgear HT overpants (with their "ShellTex" brand of breathable liner), but I don't know if I could / should use it on the inside of the boots. The liners are sewn in - they can't be removed.
Has anyone tried using products like this on GT lined boots? If not, what other solutions have you used? In the past, I used to use Snow Seal (bees wax) on leather work books to water proof them, and it works well. I was thinking about doing that here, but I am concerned that it might defeat the breathability properties of the Gore Tex.

Hmmm? Thoughts?

TIA
I also vote the Mink Oil. I use it on all my leather products. Nuttin like gettin oiled up. ;)

Just a quick follow up to this. I went with the Snow Seal (I found a can of the stuff around the house that I used to use to water proof my work boots). Worked like a charm. I was concerned about it plugging up the pores (if that is the right term) of the leather and losing their ability to "breath". I didn't notice any detrimental effects, and on a recent 9 1/2 hr ride (about 1/2 in the rain) - no leaks.

Warm dry feet at the end of a long ride is a very good thing. :D :D :D

Thanks all for your input.