Ready to buy today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm fairly new to this forum and want some info about the FJR1300. The years I'm interested in are: 2006, 2007 and 2008 only. I've had a couple big sport tours (Honda ST and Kawasaki C14) and have been unimpressed with the heat that pours off the engine in stop light to stop light traffic. On the interstate it's not an issue, but, in town the Kawasaki was extremely painful and the Honda was only a little better.

I've heard the older FJR's suffered from the same problem and have also heard that Yamaha redesigned the "air flow management" on 2006 and later models. Can anyone verify this claim? Has anyone here had a 2005 or older and then purchased a 2006 or newer model and if so, is there any noticable difference? I've been told by a dealer in Texas that it's all hype and the newer ones are as hot as the older ones in summer. So, I've decided to come to the experts and ask for myself.

I can afford any bike I want that's not the issue. I want one that I can ride all year round with comfort, sportiness, and a dash of performance. I'm not a bike basher and I like all Jap bikes and certain BMW's.

To date I've narrowed it down to the FJR and a 2004 BMW R1150RT (I don't like the looks of the new 1200). I also understand the difference in performance from the FJR to the BMW. Please feel free to debate my situation and respond with actual experience on the above mentioned matter. I thank everyone for their help and advice. DP

I had a BMW CLC and it was hard to find service when traveling so I began to plan my trips around where the BMW dealers were located. I hated that aspect.

When I did have a problem (my kickstand cracked off) the fix for it never worked and the frame needed to be replaced. This was a well known issue with the bike but BMW fought it all the way until they finally gave in much after I sold the bike and made a recall. Service sucked from the dealer and company as well.

I just bought an 07 FJR1300A over the C14 because of the heat issues. I've heard TONS of people complain about the heat issues on the C14. I haven't ridden my FJR a TON, but I did about 50 miles on it on Sunday and didn't really have any issues with heat. To be honest I wish I would have, considering it was pretty cold outside. I did sit and let the bike idle, while sitting on it, and didn't feel any considerable heat on any part of my legs (where people usually complain about heat). I also didn't feel any heat blowing on my legs when riding, which again, would have been nice.

You can actually adjust two ducts on the 06+ FRJs to manage heat better. If you download the PDF users manual from Yamaha's site, you can see how to do it - all it takes is a phillips screwdriver and a couple seconds. Very simple.

The FJR does put out quite a bit of heat. Last Sept., I rode my new '07 down to the Dallas/FtWorth area, from N.E. Oklahoma, and got caught in endless stop-n-go traffic, for an hour and a half. Temps were in the 90's (who knows what they were on the asphalt?). The bike's temp gauge would shoot up quite high, while waiting for my turn at the traffic lights. Since it was new, I was worried the bike would overheat, but it handled it like a champ. The engine heat was very noticable on the bike - enough that I doffed my leathers, when we stopped at a station. This mostly affected my lower legs, and although surprising, it only bordered on uncomfortable.

However - the bike was a lot cooler than the ST1300 I tested, under less stringent conditions. The engine heat was never enough for me to be concerned about my physical condition; heat stroke or pulmonary embolism, ect.. I wasn't soaked in sweat, from the engine heat (the sun was doing that for me, just fine, all by itself).

When we left to return (went down to buy a new '07 Triumph Rocket3), it was early evening. The traffic was bad, but the temperature had dropped from scorching to pleasantly hot. Engine heat was no longer an issue.

In my opinion, the engine heat from an FJR is an overrated concern. Yes, there is heat from the engine. No, it's not as bad as it sounds. If it's hot enough outside to worry about the heat (weather-wise), and you're in an extended stop-n-go situation, then the engine heat could be a factor affecting your endurance. This won't be a problem, when moving.

I haven't owned a Gen1 FJR, but I have ridden a couple. I wasn't stuck in traffic long enough, to determine whether the heat management was inferior, or not. I can say that my '07 is less windy, however. Yamaha's claims of better heat management, are probably true.

I've already spent my time with the Broken Motor Works, and still have friends with the things. My advice is consitent: Don't bother, if you want a real bike. If you want details, PM or email me.

I switched from a 2004 to 2006 and heat was one of the big reasons. In the Virginia summer the new bike is significantly cooler. All the other small changes were things I wanted such as taller gearing, ABS (the 04 was a non-abs model), ambient temp gauge, easy headlight adjusters, adjustable seat, slimmer tank, and extra road-hugging weight (just kidding). I haven't ridden a ST13 or C14 but I think the GenII FJR compares favorably heat-wise to my old ST1100. I did test ride an R1200RT which was in the same ballpark for engine heat but maybe a little cooler. One last suggestion is to get some "Wild Bill" highway pegs which let you get your legs out in the breeze and really cool things down on the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR is quite a bit quicker than the 1150RT, the 1150RT is a more comfy ride if you want to parade with the Harley boyz. I was not impressed with the boxer motor, I find it humorous that lots of owners like to tell me the design is a decendant of those old bikes from the 20's & 30's.

My riding buddy has an 1150RT & is a little tired of the 6k valve maint, his $700 burned valve due to dealer SNAFU, and said dealer subsequently going OOB. Now he gets his bike serviced an hour away (one way), but at least they do give him a loaner bike. We found out the hard way about BMW dealers, there is only one in the state of Indiana, similar problem in other states, not good if you do lots of traveling.

I've got 36k on my '05, still smile when I get on & off. Good luck with your choice. Make sure the 1150RT doesn't have the 'never needs service' rear drive...

Dirk, the heat factor is a fact of life for big 4 cylinder motorcycles... no matter what the brand.

Some manufacturers, in the most part, have listened to their customers and tried to aleviate the 'heat' problem.

Factors involved in the heat equation are several including the health of the rider, speed, fan efficiency, local weather, ride gear, etc.

In the dead of summer, in bumper to bumper traffic, there is no perfect except maybe cooling ride gear.

Now, aren't you more confused? :rolleyes:

I have an '05 FJ and the only time heat has ever been an issue is on 90+ degree days and being stuck in stop and go traffic. I submit that any bike in that scenario would give off heat. I sometimes think the whole heat issue has been exaggerated.

Hey folks, I'm fairly new to this forum and want some info about the FJR1300. The years I'm interested in are: 2006, 2007 and 2008 only. I've had a couple big sport tours (Honda ST and Kawasaki C14) and have been unimpressed with the heat that pours off the engine in stop light to stop light traffic. On the interstate it's not an issue, but, in town the Kawasaki was extremely painful and the Honda was only a little better.
I've heard the older FJR's suffered from the same problem and have also heard that Yamaha redesigned the "air flow management" on 2006 and later models. Can anyone verify this claim? Has anyone here had a 2005 or older and then purchased a 2006 or newer model and if so, is there any noticable difference? I've been told by a dealer in Texas that it's all hype and the newer ones are as hot as the older ones in summer. So, I've decided to come to the experts and ask for myself.

I can afford any bike I want that's not the issue. I want one that I can ride all year round with comfort, sportiness, and a dash of performance. I'm not a bike basher and I like all Jap bikes and certain BMW's.

To date I've narrowed it down to the FJR and a 2004 BMW R1150RT (I don't like the looks of the new 1200). I also understand the difference in performance from the FJR to the BMW. Please feel free to debate my situation and respond with actual experience on the above mentioned matter. I thank everyone for their help and advice. DP

I made the switch from an '04 to an '06. There is no comparison in the heat that radiates up and into the gas tank area. The tank on my Gen 1 would be very hot to the touch during all times except the coolest parts of the year. Now granted, I was living in the frigid north and loved the extra built in heater during cold rides. In summer traffic it was hot, not unbearable but hot nonetheless.

My '06 does not get hot in the tank area at all. There is some heat that is noticeable down low on the right side in slow traffic and higher ambient conditions. Don't let the heat issue be a concern.

Hope this helps with the decision. Don't delay, I hear there is a shortage of '08 s already... ;)

--G

Haven't experienced the heat but compared to our ambient temps it might be "cooling" for me. Have to wait and see. Summer will be here soon. As stated, this ia big motor and it is going to generate some heat no way around it. Seemd they have done a decent job shielding the rider from the heat with the shield under the tank and vents that push it away.

I like the FJR's ability to be a 680 lb bike and not feel like it. Will have to share that at parking lot speeds it wants to tuck the front end on you but think that is the way with most sport tourers and cruiser are worse.

Have yet to hear about anybody buying an FJR and wishing they bought something else. Seems, to go the other way quite a bit.

My 2005 puts out heat like any other large bike that has a fairing, funneling the heat from the radiator and exhaust to the rear, which means heat is everywhere. In summer traffic it get s a little warm, but the idea is to keep moving. At cruising speed, no issues.

I picked up my '07 last July. Heat coming off the bike has not been a problem yet. On one day specifically, after it sat in the parking lot for about 10 minutes, the temp guage said it was 114 degrees. It wasn't actually that hot, but sitting at the lights sure felt like it. The bike has been really comfortable. NO heat issues.

On your other questions, I have ridden police equipped Honda ST's and they wobble at high speeds (over 100). They also could never compare to the FJR performance wise. My best friend has a BMW 1200 RT, and although sitting on it is comfortable, that boxer engine is the pits; it lacks power, and the brakes, although effective, feel terrible. Also it shows higher RPM's at most speeds in 6th gear than the FJR does with only 5. And the BMW costs alot more. I would suggest finding dealers that will let you test ride their bikes, and try to ride all 3 in one day. Happy hunting.

Dirk:

I have an '06 which I bought after selling an '03 ST1300. The FJR is much better in it's ability to manage the heat generated by the engine. It is not as cool as those bikes I rode in my younger days but then with today's horsepower, lean mixtures for emission control and excellent fairings I cannot expect to be as cool as in days gone by. I did consider an R1200RT as an alternative since the cylinders and exhaust system are further away from one's body but the cost and lower performance made me choose the Yamaha. I think you will be pleased with the performance/thermal comfort compromise provided by the second generation FJR.

Dave

P.S. I ride in pretty humid, pretty hot Nebraska and Iowa. Most bikes are not what you would call "cool" in July or August.

I've had 2 GL1800's, ST1300, VFR etc and am happy with my '07 FJR. The ST1300 was VERY HOT, heat blowing on legs felt like a hair dryer roasting my legs. Also the fairing pocket and tank very hot to the touch. The ST is also top heavy, ugly from the rear and sounds like the Jetson mobile. It is trouble free like all Honda's and I liked the power delivery of the V4.

I have also come very close to buying a RT1150 many times, I like the ergos (more upright and relaxed than any sport-tourer. Comfort on par with Goldwing) Also the low weight/center of gravity of the boxer twin makes it very easy to turn/change direction and fun to ride. No heat issues either with the boxers. That said the boxer is kind of a dud in the fun factor. It just kind of chugs along where the FJR has that sweet inline 4.

The heat is a non issue also on the '06 and later FJR with the side vents thats why I bought mine.

If I could only have one bike it just may be a 1150/1200 RT if they could convince me its dependable (driveline/electrical failures) and very $$$ to own/maintain.

I'm likely to add another GL1800 when my wife/kids can ride with me. The wing and FJR would be the perfect combo to me. The FJR is fun on back/twisty roads all day but the wing actually makes highway travel enjoyable and the flatter/less entertaining roads that I skip with the FJR.

So in a nutshell I like my FJR very much after all the farlkes I've added, I'd do the same with the RT.

I also like the RT very much but mostly shy away because of $$ and reliability issues.

Go to bmwmoa.com and click hexheads to find all the issues and dissatisfied owners. I know the web blows things out of proportion but I hear the same things from riders I meet on the road.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an 03 that was hot, I did some of the mods and it made it less hot. The st1300 was comparable to the FJR in heat.

I now have an 07 that is alot better, as a matter of fact I don't notice the heat at all.

I had an 03 that was hot, I did some of the mods and it made it less hot. The st1300 was comparable to the FJR in heat.
I now have an 07 that is alot better, as a matter of fact I don't notice the heat at all.
I had a ST1300 which I got ride of due to the heat (but I'm a huge ST fan..also has ST1100's). I had a 04 FJR which I got rid of because of the heat. Not had a chance to get the 07 out in real hot weather yet but I already think its better than my 04 was. I had a R1100RT BMW which I really liked but it requires a lot of upkeep and dealers are few and far between in a lot of places (I had to make a 300 mile round trip to mine). All good bikes in their own right, I just like the FJR the best.

Gary

This may have been said already. I don't know. Haven't looked thru all posts. The engine on the FJR is 1300 cc's large. Do you expect a large engine not to put out heat? It seems to me any large sport tourer will roast you in the right conditions. The 2nd gen FJR heat "management" is different than the gen 1. The engine still gets as hot as the Gen 1. It moves differently around the bike when the bike is moving. I'd expect the gen 2 is still as hot at a stand still. Just the nature of the beast in my opinion.

Then again, I haven't had the dubious pleasure of owning a Gen 2.... but in my technical mind, that makes sense.

Heidi

You're on the right track. I traded my '05 FJR cooker in on an '07A FJR, only because of the heat issues. GenII (6,7,8) are much improved in the heat department. Just slight heat on my lower left ankle, very tolerable. I'm very happy with my 07A. GenII models are geared slightly higher too.

SR-71