Really bad day today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The sun is shining and the sky is clear blue. There is zero chance of rain in today's forecast... and it's one of the worst days in my life. Joann and I had to make the choice that every pet owner dreads, taking our 14 year old Labrador Retriever, Petey, for his last car ride... to the Vets.

He had given us a real scare about 6 months ago when he got a case of Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome. It is an inner ear problem that makes old dogs look exactly like they have had a stroke. But the Vet came to the rescue then, and let us know that he would likely come out of it on his own. And he did, almost completely. We are thankful for those last few months

But the last couple of days things were different. He was off his food, becoming lethargic, and not getting around too well. Last night I had to carry him up the stairs to his dog bed. He has slept in our bedroom every night for the past 14+ years, and there is no way he would have been happy staying downstairs when we were up in bed.

This morning at around 4 AM he vomited and couldn't get himself up, couldn't do much more than lift his head up a little. At around 5AM I carried him back downstairs and outside to relieve himself. He was able to stand just long enough to pee, but right after that stumbled and fell back to the ground. We saw the hand that was dealt, and waited for the Vet to open at 7:30 to call for an appointment.

I tell you, that was a long couple of hours to wait. His breathing was labored, body was mostly flaccid, and he began to shake and shiver with every breath. I moved him (mostly dragging him) over to a spot in the morning sun, and the three of us waited it out together. The Vet was kind enough to get us right in, and the trip was made.

At least I know that he is comfortable now.

DCP_0698.jpg

Goodbye, old boy...You were the best dog that I've ever known; the best dog that there ever was.

Damn it. I miss him already.
cry.gif

DCP_1443.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Condolences from Helen and I, we know how you and Joann love your pets. It's going to be quiet without Captain Chaos to keep things stirred up.

I'm so sorry Fred. It doesn't help right now, but you know that dog had the best life a dog ever had.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing worse than having to deal with your best friend like that. It comes time to repay the loyalty they have given you every day since they came into you life and it's extremely difficult. My heart goes out to you and your family. :-(

Fred that is a tough pill to swallow. Lost both my dogs within 4 months of each other, and I really can feel your pain.

Dogs are so special. A puppy is a natural solution (Not replacement though), but I have not reached that point yet. There is no

easy way, every time you walk in the door without a greeting is a constant reminder how special they were.

Thanks to all for the condolences.

I know, we have all been through it, the hurt of losing our best friends, some of us many times before. But Joann and I will always be the first to line up for the pain again. There is just nothing like the unconditional love and affection that you get from your pet(s). It outweighs the hurt of having to see them pass on before you greatly.

It's going to be quiet without Captain Chaos to keep things stirred up.
Actually, Petey was the older, more quiet one. Charlie is the yellow (white) lab with ADD.

We do still have Charlie here to keep us company. He's trying to figure out what's going on, and where his best buddy Petey went.

Damn Fred, I'm so sorry. I had to do this last year with our 13 year old GSD and I was torn up for a while.

Fred, I feel your pain have been through that before. It is unreal how much they mean to us and how much of a void the loss in your life creates. Those are tough decisions, but you are right, he is comfortable now and will be happy to see you again.

So sorry for your loss. My heart ached and a lump in my throat as I read your post. I too have this to face one day with my best buddy. Remember the great times and all the love he brought to you and family. Thoughts are with you...

I'm sorry for your loss Fred...it's a painful experience. I lost my 21 year old cat almost exactly a year ago...it was not easy.

This is the down side of the bittersweet experience of owning pets. But the up side makes it worth it and more. I'm sorry for your pain and loss.