Rear-ended

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What warrants a "totaled" bike call by the insurance co? It was a 4month old bike with 7K miles, should I expect/demand a new one? Perhaps an 07?
First off…sorry to hear about your get off and glad that you are okay.

I believe it is either 70% or 75% before the bike is declared a total loss. Been there done that. From the damage you stated, I have no doubt you have a new bike in your future. If you find even a hairline scratch on the frame with some of the other damage you noted…definitely a new bike! Good luck with your insurance, but most importantly you survived relatively unscathed and ready to ride again! :thumbsup:

Ahh, scratch on the frame means nothing. It has to be really damaged. That is coming from the insurance company. My friend is my agent and my other friend had a claim few month back with just a scratch on the frame. Do real damage, no cigar.

Ahh, scratch on the frame means nothing. It has to be really damaged. That is coming from the insurance company. My friend is my agent and my other friend had a claim few month back with just a scratch on the frame. Do real damage, no cigar.
Hmmm…not according to my (past) insurance estimate. A scratch meant a total replacement and along with the labor…it really mounts up the total cost of fixing the bike to “as new condition”. It depends a lot on what the customer wants to or does not want to live with. If my bike was “like new condition” before the accident than I want it to be “like new” later. That is what insurance is for and has been my experience. Hopefully all will work out well for Kingoldrum. The ball is in his court and once again...I am glad he is okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made me wince just to read this, glad to hear you are ok, get all the gear replaced.

Watch for out for those just sore and brusied parts, I was rear ended 18 months ago and still have hip and shoulder issues, not bad but not the same as before the accident.

Chris

Ouch! Considering how unlucky you were to get rear ended so hard you sure got lucky on the injuries. Scary stuff. Keep telling us how the insurance story works out.

Did your bike get towed to Wilson's Motorcycles in Fresno, CA? Saw a wrecked 06 FJR there today. Shop said rider had several broken bones, but was healing OK.

First off, very glad to hear you are OK, could have been a HELL of a lot worse. My 04ABS became a sandwich between a stopped late model GM 4X4 and an older Buick, which was driven violently forward by, you guessed it, yet another Buick driven by a 20 year old gal who looked at some flowers, and not traffic in front of her. Fortunately, I was able to keep the FJR upright as the front wheel was driven under the 4X4, and the stern lifted by the Buick. We had just passed through a set of lights on a high traffic street, when traffic slowed and stopped. We were stopped about 10 feet behind the truck when WHAMO, my bike was being pushed into the truck. I sure had a WTF moment. Neither Crystal nor I were seriously hurt, but the bike sustained well over $10,000 Cdn in damage. I figured a write-off for sure, but nope, the insurance company decided to fix it. Five months later, it was still not right, and after the dealer fired the Service Manager, I was able to get the current one to do an axial and radial run-out test of both wheels, something I insisted be done before I would sign off on the claim. The front wheel did not meet spec, was replaced, and the surefooted pre-accident handling I was used to, returned. In the end, this claim would easily have exceeded $15,000. If your bike is repaired, I strongly suggest you insist on having the axial and radial run-outs done on both wheels, and the findings noted on the work-order, as these little gems approach $1,000 in value each in Canada.

Street riding 30 yrs now.

Only 2 incidents.

Both times rear ended.

One time punted out of a toll booth.

The other nailed by a daughter who was rear ended by her mother.

I always watch the mirrors when I'm stopped.

Hi again. Quick update.

The insurance "adjuster" called yesterday and said they would total the bike. He mentioned the cost of exhausts, plastics, etc adding up. I had got a chance to look at the bike and up in the right front, where you can see through the fairing "gills", about where sliders might attach, the main frame is fractured all the way through. Who knows what is underneath the fairing. I expect anyone worth his salt saw that, but wanted to act like he was doing me a favor. I did get a couple very lousy pics, definitely need a new camera.

Got a quote for a new 07(very poor negotiation as it was for MSRP) and new gear prices. FAXed it to the insurance company last night. About $16K in hardware "out the door" . We will see what comes next, but could be the pro-rating battles.

Thanks again for all the advice and well wishes.

kingoldrum, from your description, you are lucky to be alive and your bike is almost certainly totaled. Glad it ended so well for you... may everyone have the same luck.

ASIDE: This is what pisses me off and makes me quake in fear all at once about motorcycling. You really are at the mercy of the least common denominator driver. Same thing applies driving a cage, but to a lesser extent. The only two times I've been hospitalized it was due to someone else's vehicle equipment failure. Once rearended in my Jeep when someone's brakes failed, more recently I dropped my bike in spilled fuel.

Hi. Got rear-ended on Sunday and expect (hope) my FJR is done. Interstate exit ramp rolling towards my turn when a 21 year old on her cell phone exited and nailed me. Did not see or hear her coming, suddenly the bike shot out from under me and I was doing a back flip. Landed out of traffic on my helmet, hands and knees (armoured) and went rolling into the ditch. Did not witness the FJRs trajectory, but it managed to crush the back panel of the car about 30' in front of me. It was towed while the EMS folks looked me over. Plenty of damage to both the back and front of the bike. Pegs broke off, "mounting frame" broken in numerous placed, exhaust bent up, plastics cracked or rashed, hard bags broken off, etc. The front end must be damaged if it did all the pounding to the car in front of me.

I am very lucky, and the hard gear did it's job.

A few questions:

What warrants a "totaled" bike call by the insurance co?

It was a 4month old bike with 7K miles, should I expect/demand a new one? Perhaps an 07?

Any scuffed/ripped gear that protected me should get replaced?

Etc.

My mail box was stuffed with ambulance chaser literature 2 days after the accident....must be easy money for them.

Thanks for any advice
check the frame very carefully... it it is at all bent, dented anywhere or even scratched, the integrity of the bike is lost... = totalled....

When my son was hit on my Suzuki Bandit, the frame had a small dent in the side of the upper box frame...they totalled th bike... I bought it back for $300, and another $300 on new parts... Obviously not very banged up...

Yell and scream and holler and insist on an 07 and new gear.

All that together is cheaper than one day in the hospital if you were not wearing all the gear...

Good luck,

Mary

[ Hopefully your doing fine. I lost an 06 7/31/06 it had 1700 miles ,about. I bought it the middle of may. I got full retail 06 $, which is what I paid plus tax tag and title. They said the price on the 07 didn't matter. Good luck