Rear Shock Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
I'm looking for a rear shock with a remote preload adjuster and ride height adjustable.

The Penske is not remote I believe, which only leaves the Ohlins, which I would rather not get. So Is there anything else I can look into? I thought the Wilburs is not ride height adjustable?

I'm looking for a rear shock with a remote preload adjuster and ride height adjustable.
The Penske is not remote I believe, which only leaves the Ohlins, which I would rather not get. So Is there anything else I can look into? I thought the Wilburs is not ride height adjustable?
Penske does not offer a remote preload adjuster but Wilbers does have a ride height adjuster. I don't know where you can buy a Wilbers in the US but their shocks seem to be severely undersprung.

Most of the aftermarket shocks come with various 'options'. Not sure why you don't want an Ohlins?

And I know way back when most of us bought our Wilbers shocks, you could get the High and Low compression damping model, the remote preload adjuster option, and ride height adjustable option.

Do a little research..........

I don't know where you can buy a Wilbers in the US but their shocks seem to be severely undersprung.

Interesting on that. I've put a quarter million miles on my 'severely undersprung' Wilbers and have been really happy with it. They compensate by using 'built in preload' other than that which you can do with the remote adjuster.

This latest rebuild by Traxxion, I went with their recommendation and went from a 550 lb spring to an 800 lb spring. As happy as I was with that shock, I am kind of afraid of what it is going to be like.

Also interestingly, though my Wilbers shock did not have the ride height adjustment, nor did I request it be built any differently from OEM parameters, my Wilbers added in some ride height which I liked.

Well, how difficult is it to adjust the pre-load with a Penske? It was a major pita on my XX, but I was just thinking it may be easier on the FJR.

Penske 8983 has remote or piggyback adjustment options. Adjustment should be fairly easy. I'm sure someone who has one installed will chime in shortly with firsthand experience. I'm still working on my budget for suspension upgrades.

True, but the preload collar on the Penske is at the top of the shock and takes a lot of leverage to turn. If on the FJR, that collar is buried up in the bike, it would be a nightmare to adjust without actually taking the shock off. Hopefully someone here will be able to expand on if it's hard to do or not.

I have adjusted the Pensky preload, and it's not hard. You do end up laying on the ground and doing a bit of a reach-around.

I'm sure lots of forum members could do that effortlessly.

I don't know where you can buy a Wilbers in the US but their shocks seem to be severely undersprung.

Interesting on that. I've put a quarter million miles on my 'severely undersprung' Wilbers and have been really happy with it. They compensate by using 'built in preload' other than that which you can do with the remote adjuster.

This latest rebuild by Traxxion, I went with their recommendation and went from a 550 lb spring to an 800 lb spring. As happy as I was with that shock, I am kind of afraid of what it is going to be like.
All shocks have "built in preload", Wilbers generally uses twice as much as Penske or Ohlins in order to achieve the correct ride height but that extra preload does not prevent bottoming and I bet your shock bottomed all the time when the bike was fully loaded. I think you will like the 800 lb spring, it may be a bit firm when the bike is empty but if you load it up and add your fuel cell you should still get a plush ride.

Skoot, my *new* '09 has an 850# spring on the Penske. It's a little stiff when running empty but just right when traveling. It even works well with the SO by adding a little ride height and preload. I predict you'll be happy with yours.

Well, how difficult is it to adjust the pre-load with a Penske? It was a major pita on my XX, but I was just thinking it may be easier on the FJR.
With the provided tool from Penske it's not too bad. Whenever I go two-up, I add 7mm of preload. It takes longer to get an accurate measurement than doing the actual adjustment.

--G

Yeah, but...........

Hyperpro uses a progressive rate spring. I am sure they are good shocks, but I just can't get my head around that. Progressive rate springs are not supposed to be 'ideal'.

Hyperpro does look really nice but why do they use progressive springs?

In terms of reliability/durability is any one better than another vs OEM? It would seem silly to put something on such a reliable bike that could fail and ruin a trip.

Any of the aftermarket shocks will be better than stock. Bonus is the aftermarket can be rebuilt for $150 or so and you have a new shock for another couple years.

Reliability wise, there have been very few failures of shock seals for both stock and aftermarket. Keep the stock shock for spare when it's rebuild time.

--G

I have nearly 160k miles on my Penske 8983, with 3 rebuilds @ $160 performed by Traxxion, as stated above, when you receive the rebuilt shock back from Traxxion it's it's like getting a brand new shock every year (in my case).