Rear Shock Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nearly 160k miles on my Penske 8983, with 3 rebuilds @ $160 performed by Traxxion, as stated above, when you receive the rebuilt shock back from Traxxion it's it's like getting a brand new shock every year (in my case).
And no issues making either adjustment. The spring is a turn on the bottom knob that is in my case protected from crud with a shock sock. The other adjustment is a small wrench on the remote adjuster that is right on the side of the bike.

Mine came set for my weight and needed no adjustment whatsoever. I have played with it loaded on a trip and it is a turn or two on the knob and one or two flats on the piggy back adjuster. Very simple and easy to do at any time.

I ran a full hyperpro setup on my K1200 LT it was 2200.00 to buy!

While I have no experience on any other shock for the FJR the Pensky is all I ever thought it would be.

Lee at Traxxion is just a great guy to deal with.

I have nearly 160k miles on my Penske 8983, with 3 rebuilds @ $160 performed by Traxxion, as stated above, when you receive the rebuilt shock back from Traxxion it's it's like getting a brand new shock every year (in my case).
And no issues making either adjustment. The spring is a turn on the bottom knob that is in my case protected from crud with a shock sock. The other adjustment is a small wrench on the remote adjuster that is right on the side of the bike.
I think that you are confusing preload adjustment with rebound damping adjustment.

On both the Penske 8983 and 8987 the preload is adjusted with a spanner to the big round threaded collar on the top of the shock. As I recall, it has a setscrew that needs to first be loosenedto make the adjustment and then re-tightened to keep it from moving during use.

The rebound damping is the knurled clicker at the bottom of the shock (red in below pics) and the compression damping is adjusted on the remote reservoir. The only difference between the two models is the 8987 has both a low and high speed compression damping adjusters on the reservoir. The 8983 (what I have) has just a single compression damping adjustment.

There is no Penske shock with a remote preload that I am aware of.

8987_PB-n-REMOTE_edit2a.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Race Tech G3 comes available with remote preload. Custom built to your specs, normal riding conditions (weight, 2up etc), and abiliity! I'm very satisfied with mine!

All shocks have "built in preload", Wilbers generally uses twice as much as Penske or Ohlins in order to achieve the correct ride height but that extra preload does not prevent bottoming and I bet your shock bottomed all the time when the bike was fully loaded. I think you will like the 800 lb spring, it may be a bit firm when the bike is empty but if you load it up and add your fuel cell you should still get a plush ride.

Yes, that is what I meant about 'built in ' preload. In all those miles, never felt my shock bottom out. In fact, it felt 'firmer' than my Ohlins with stiffer 650 lb spring. Obviously due to the built in preload and valving. It will be interesting to see how the new spring works out. Just hope I didn't screw up a good thing.

This latest rebuild by Traxxion, I went with their recommendation and went from a 550 lb spring to an 800 lb spring. As happy as I was with that shock, I am kind of afraid of what it is going to be like.
Skoot, my *new* '09 has an 850# spring on the Penske. It's a little stiff when running empty but just right when traveling. It even works well with the SO by adding a little ride height and preload. I predict you'll be happy with yours.
Yes, but remember the Gen II with its longer swing arm requires a higher spring rate 'ideally'. Even my Gen I Ohlins only had a 650 lb spring, though I think a phone call to Ohlins corporate tech said 'ideally' it should have been 740 lb.

My Gen II Ohlins shock was built with an 800 lb springs for my svelte frame compared to your, uhh....... 'well fed' rotundness.
bye.gif
haha.gif

Through the years I've definitely got the feeling that 'ideal' spring rate is only half science, and a good part 'art'.

I guess I'll go with the Penske again.

I'm 160 with gear and will carry about 40lbs on tour. Where does that leave me? The 750lb?

I'm also considering the Sport shock since replacing the shock to begin with is beyond my budget. I never adjusted the compression my last double adjust.

I guess I'll go with the Penske again.
I'm 160 with gear and will carry about 40lbs on tour. Where does that leave me? The 750lb?

I'm also considering the Sport shock since replacing the shock to begin with is beyond my budget. I never adjusted the compression my last double adjust.
That leaves you in need of a LaPine Rueben.

This latest rebuild by Traxxion, I went with their recommendation and went from a 550 lb spring to an 800 lb spring. As happy as I was with that shock, I am kind of afraid of what it is going to be like.
Skoot, my *new* '09 has an 850# spring on the Penske. It's a little stiff when running empty but just right when traveling. It even works well with the SO by adding a little ride height and preload. I predict you'll be happy with yours.
Yes, but remember the Gen II with its longer swing arm requires a higher spring rate 'ideally'. Even my Gen I Ohlins only had a 650 lb spring, though I think a phone call to Ohlins corporate tech said 'ideally' it should have been 740 lb.

My Gen II Ohlins shock was built with an 800 lb springs for my svelte frame compared to your, uhh....... 'well fed' rotundness.
bye.gif
haha.gif

Through the years I've definitely got the feeling that 'ideal' spring rate is only half science, and a good part 'art'.
hey, Hey, HEY...I worked long and hard to get in this condition.Can't see a reason to waste all that effort now.

I agree with ya on the spring science, what works for one might not work for another.

Oh, BTW...
finger.gif
laugh.png

--G

I think that you are confusing preload adjustment with rebound damping adjustment.

On both the Penske 8983 and 8987 the preload is adjusted with a spanner to the big round threaded collar on the top of the shock. As I recall, it has a setscrew that needs to first be loosenedto make the adjustment and then re-tightened to keep it from moving during use.

The rebound damping is the knurled clicker at the bottom of the shock (red in below pics) and the compression damping is adjusted on the remote reservoir. The only difference between the two models is the 8987 has both a low and high speed compression damping adjusters on the reservoir. The 8983 (what I have) has just a single compression damping adjustment.

There is no Penske shock with a remote preload that I am aware of.

8987_PB-n-REMOTE_edit2a.gif
You are correct I was cunt fused. I have never had to touch the top adjuster ever. I did adjust the lower with all the gear I carried on the 7500 mile trip last summer. And I did go a few flats on the remote but only one or two. I just never have to fuss much with that or the forks. Lee at Traxxion set them the shock and forks with the Omni 1.1 springs, and I installed them. Never had to do anything while checking sag and like I said I only have messed with the lower on the shock and one or two flats on the remote. I used some nail polish to mark the remote factory setting and when not loaded I turn it to there and life is good. I just can not say enough about the rear shock, and fork springs with the oil from Traxxion and their oil level setting. I want the full boat AK's but at this point it works so well for me I am in no hurry. Sorry for cuntfusing the issue.

+1 about the excellent service and setup provided by Lee and Traxxion Dynamics. 8983 isn't too bad to adjust preload. When you remove the stock shock adjuster it leaves a space that allows access to the top of the shock. Not as handy as a remote adjuster but I've seen worse. Skooter,I went with the 850lb spring also. It's quite firm one up compared to the wimpy stock Gen1 unit I had but nicely controlled by the superior shock. Two up it really shines. Haven't messed with settings as delivered from Traxxion other than to back preload down a bit for solo use. I think you'll liiiike it.

LAF, as an electrician I'm confused about the term cunt fuse and what it's got to do with your shock preload?