Rear Shock Preload Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deer slayer

Reaction score
I am the new owner of a 2005 FJR. We ride two up lots. I read in the manual how to set the preload, if I understand correctly you just move the black lever from S to H. Mine will not stay in the H position, it flips back to S. Am I doing this correctly? If so is there something wrong with the adjuster?

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
be sure you are pushing it all the way and there is no weight on the bike....try putting it on the center stand first?? other than that do not know what else it could be????

Adjuster won't move all the way if you are on the bike seat. Side stand or center stand as mentioned and then flip it. Since you have a 2005 with stock rear shock, just set it to Hard and leave it there all the time.

I had it on the center stand, pushed it to hard and it seemed to stay. After riding a bit I took a look and it was back to soft. This bike has 37,000 miles, is it time to replace the stock shock with something more road worthy? I notice some discussion of aftermarket shocks on the board.

Thx,

Bill

I had it on the center stand, pushed it to hard and it seemed to stay. After riding a bit I took a look and it was back to soft. This bike has 37,000 miles, is it time to replace the stock shock with something more road worthy?
You might try getting that replaced through Y.E.S., if it applies.

This bike has 37,000 miles, is it time to replace the stock shock with something more road worthy?
You might try getting that replaced through Y.E.S., if it applies.
Nope to Y.E.S. -- shocks are a wear item like brake pads (never hurts to ask, though). At 37K, your shock is probably toast. Seems the stock shock is designed for itty-bitty people and about 25K miles - I've been through 3 on my '05, but my riding weight is over 250#.