Rear Suspension Bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamirr

Reaction score
I took apart the rear suspension hoping to solve some rear wheel chatter I was experiencing during cornering. I figured I'd lube the bearings and go from there. The bearings looked good except the one attaching to the rear shock. There's a plastic/teflon like coating that seems to be shedding from the inside.

I found my rear axle clamp bolt loose while doing this. I tightened it up and lubed the bearings, including the one in question and packed it all up. After all this, the suspension feels normal again, however, I can't help but wonder if I've got something to worry about with that bearing. Any ideas?

DSCF0966.JPG

DSCF0965.JPG

DSCF0967.JPG

Concur on the dried up something. I don't recall those delicate needle bearings having a cage. I would clean all that muck out...very gently to avoid losing a needle bearing...maybe with contact cleaner. And then liberally work in synthetic grease that won't cake up like that.

Vamirr,

It looks like the original packing material I have seen to protect the bearings from the elements before and installation. It would be my bet, some of this material was not all cleaned off and you have a straggler piece of it.

I don't think it is something of concern, otherwise, congrats on you fix.

Its supposed to be there, its some kind of packing material. When I changed to a Penske shock a while back, I checked those bearings and thought something was wrong, the same as you have, bought a new bearing. Thats how a new bearing comes from Yamaha. With a new bearing that has the packing material, theres not much use to apply any grease, as the spacer tube just pushes any grease back out.

My 07 bearings look exactly the same. I theorize that its some kind of wax cage for the rollers. I just slathered on some synthetic grease and put it back together.

So, sounds like all is ok. I had a problem with this part. It seems that I didn't look at it soon enough & the needle bearings were already pretty shot when they were looked at. I replaced the part.

I took apart the rear suspension hoping to solve some rear wheel chatter I was experiencing during cornering. I figured I'd lube the bearings and go from there. The bearings looked good except the one attaching to the rear shock. There's a plastic/teflon like coating that seems to be shedding from the inside.
I found my rear axle clamp bolt loose while doing this. I tightened it up and lubed the bearings, including the one in question and packed it all up. After all this, the suspension feels normal again, however, I can't help but wonder if I've got something to worry about with that bearing. Any ideas?

DSCF0966.JPG

DSCF0965.JPG

DSCF0967.JPG
Check your dogbone rear linkages very carefully for any signs of fatigue, if the bearing was seized these will have been put under strain and in Europe we have had a few cases of failure. When it happens its a major event, the suspension collapses, rear wheel seizes and you will likely go down.

My '06 looked similar last summer. I applied some lube and reassembled, followed by my cross country, and back, ride. So far all is well.