Rear Trunk Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot2Wheels

Reaction score
I want to add a passenger backrest to my 2007 FJR. I have been looking at the different ones, Pirates Lair, Corbin, etc. I would also like to get a touring trunk, and actually like the looks of a matching Yamaha touring trunk. I like the idea of placing two full face helmets in one when riding two up, and keep it off when riding solo (most of the time because for one I don't have a backrest).

However, for those of you that may have this, how good is it as a backrest when you add the pad? I would hate to invest in this trunk and find out the backrest really sucks.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, on the trunk backrest that his. :lol:

Wayne

Our Givi E52 box holds two full-face helmets. I bought and installed the Givi pad for it, but my wife didn't like it, said it pushed her too far forward. I ended up covering up the two holes and she does just fine leaning back on the box itself. YMMV...

I have the Yamaha factory trunk and backrest on my 2003. I personally think they look better than the Givi but they definitely won't hold two full face helmets either. The Yamaha trunk is very secure on the bike as I have had mine to 145 with it on after having the warranty mod done. It is rock solid. My wife and kids say that the backrest is comfortable too. They are not cheap but my bike came with the trunk and I added the backrest. It was an easy job. Hope that helps some!

Forget packing two helmets in the Yamaha box. Can't do it. It's tall and narrow, whereas Givi and Shad and others are wider. Need the width to get two helmets in there.

if your missus wears a proper riding jacket, then she don't need the backrest pad. She might could use the box as a backrest, but the jacket pad should be all the pad she needs. The extra pad on the box will probably squeez into what could be usable space for her.

I have the Pirates Lair backerest. Wife likes it, it looks good and looks like quality. Easily removable too. The problem with the topbox idea with or without a pad is that if you ride with a passenger, even on a dayride you need the whole thing on when all you really want is the backrest. Besides, I think the topbox, yamaha or aftermarket look kind of ugly in my very humble opinion. I have a Riggs pak that straps quickly to the backrest and works very nicely when we travel overnight. And when we check into the hotel and then ride around, it is not there to look ugly too. The side cases easily hold helmets when day riding if needed unless you fill them with alot of other stuff. You can get other stuff in there with the helmets too, just not an awful lot of bulky stuff.

I saw a pirates lair backrest for sale here a while back for about $150 which was a steal as they are $350 or so new. Probably sold though. But look around as they pop up once in a while if you are not in a big hurry.

I can't say that I know anything about having a seperate passenger backrest, but if your going to get a touring trunk anyway, then you may not need it.

My bike came with the Yamaha box but no backrest. As already said if your wife has a padded riding jacket that's probably enough.

I did add the pad to mine but my wife said it just made her lean forward more. My kids do seem to like it thou.

You could always add it later if you wanted.

Peter

I also have the Givi 52. The pad is on and the wife is going to try it out Sunday. I'll post Sunday night with her opinion. Fits 2 helmets and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Premier Cycle Accessories backrest and rack on my 2007. The wife really likes the backrest, and when we travel, we strap a bag onto the rack. No trunk for me.

The biggest complaint I have seen about the trunks is that with the backrest pad installed, they push the passenger too far forward. As others have said, try it first without the pad, as just the trunk will serve the backrest purpose and not take up passenger space.

Great information. Thanks for all the posts.

I didn't think about the pad in the jacket being used vs the pad on the trunk, and that it would make her lean more forward than she already does. I also was of the assumption that the factory box could hold 2 helmets. Again, glad I asked.

I like the look of the Pirates Lair backrest, but $350!? :eek: I would definitely consider one if it was south of $200.

Thanks again for the replies.

Wayne

Forget packing two helmets in the Yamaha box. Can't do it. It's tall and narrow, whereas Givi and Shad and others are wider. Need the width to get two helmets in there.

if your missus wears a proper riding jacket, then she don't need the backrest pad. She might could use the box as a backrest, but the jacket pad should be all the pad she needs. The extra pad on the box will probably squeez into what could be usable space for her.

Exactly what he said. I have a 2008 with the factory setup. If I were to do it over again, I'd keep the (extremely expensive) factory trunk but NOT the (extremely expensive) back pad.

As far as looks, well, I think the bike looks better without it, but at the end of a 300-mile day of twisties on the FJR with my wife on the back, the looks don't bother me so much.

I want to add a passenger backrest to my 2007 FJR. I have been looking at the different ones, Pirates Lair, Corbin, etc. I would also like to get a touring trunk, and actually like the looks of a matching Yamaha touring trunk. I like the idea of placing two full face helmets in one when riding two up, and keep it off when riding solo (most of the time because for one I don't have a backrest).

However, for those of you that may have this, how good is it as a backrest when you add the pad? I would hate to invest in this trunk and find out the backrest really sucks.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, on the trunk backrest that his. :lol:

Wayne

I was looking for top box few months ago with a nice backrest for my girlfriend and I got the SHAD SH48 Liters, double backrest and fits two helmets! Best purchase ever!!

Contact the guys at shad (www.shadonline.com) they have discounts for forum members

SH48 TOP BOX

Much better prices on the SHAD. Nice!! :)

For the pad price, it may be worth the risk of trying. Do you have the shad backrest, and if so, does it make the passenger ride too far forward? Also, does the mount work well and hold the top case in place well? Do I need to pursue the touring trunk mod/fix from Yamaha since I have an 07 model? Or is this for just factory trunks?

Wayne

Much better prices on the SHAD. Nice!! :)

For the pad price, it may be worth the risk of trying. Do you have the shad backrest, and if so, does it make the passenger ride too far forward? Also, does the mount work well and hold the top case in place well? Do I need to pursue the touring trunk mod/fix from Yamaha since I have an 07 model? Or is this for just factory trunks?

Wayne

Wifey spent 3.5 hours this past Sunday with a Shad SH50 (with the back pad). She said she was comfortable, but that the pad seems like its up a bit high. I think I'm going to have another thin pad upholstered for the lower section too. As far as pushing her forwards...she was barely leaning backwards a touch. For clarification I am using the Shad Topmaster mount, which I strongly recommend over the universal mount. Seems plenty strong and the quality of the welds is great!