Rear Trunk or Rear Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erik425

Reaction score
I bought a used FJR. It came with an unopened, unmounted rear rack and a new, unmounted rear trunk. If I was to use the trunk I would need to get a key and a mounting plate for it. The rack is good to go.

I have heard the top box causes drag, but I can leave it off most of the time. On the other hand, the rack would allow me to strap camping gear or other odd things to it.

It's rainy, cold and I am bored, so I thought I would see if anyone has any opinions one way or another.

I like a case. Handy for hauling a good volume of stuff, secure helmet storage when otherwise empty, keeps your half-eaten bag of Doritos dry in a thunderstorm, doesn't noticeably affect handling, and is easily removed when you don't need it.

From your post it sounds like you're thinking "either/or" but there are many racks that accommodate cases (sometimes with a mounting plate required).

Both!

For longer trips the trunk provides extra lockable dry space for all your bulky lightweight items. For bag-less day rides, a small tail pack is less bulky still provides extra storage and is more streamlined than a trunk.

My $.02 anyway...

--G

I have to agree with you guys, but I put on a motorcycle safety course tonight and two of the guys there had ST1300s with racks and said they would rather have them than trunks. I like being able to lock my stuff up and remove it if need be.

Both but be careful how much weight you put there for the FJR has a subframe that has a history of cracking. To avoid cracking many peeps have installed a Givi SR357 rack which improves the stiffness and reduces the lever arm of the weight on the stock rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both but be careful how much weight you put there for the FJR has a subframe that has a history of cracking. To avoid the cracking many peeps have installed a Givi SR357 rack which improve the stiffness and reduce the lever arm of the weight on the stock rack.
Good info. I also like any extra weight lower, so I usually only put extra clothes and lighter stuff in my trunk bag.

You can install and the Subframe Stiffener kit from Garauld for extra security..
smile.png

Have a look:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151850-gen1-subframe-stiffener-kit/

That looks pretty neat. I like to fab stuff up. This seems like a good project. Plus, I would be able to mention my stifener kit in conversations to make people uncomfortable :)

erik,

If you buy the mounting plate for your trunk,could you post a picture here or to send me by e-mail how it looks the plate from under before the installation?I need to see something..

After several years I finally got the deal I wanted on a factory trunk, so I got it. I got the bike new and miraculously did not lose the extra key barrel, so I've got it keyed. Last weekend I went through Yellowstone and it rained (a lot) and was cold. The trunk was really, really nice to have. I filled it with raingear, heated jacket liner, bike cover, and some extra gloves. The conveneince of having one key do it all is great. Due to weather, I probably never went over about 90 on the ride. I've heard if you're solo you can get some weird aero effects at higher speeds w/the top box.

I still have my on-the-passenger-seat tailbag, which could be combined with the box. That bag holds a fair amount of stuff but isn't secure. However, it keeps the weight lower and has no effect on handling at any speed. It's good to have choices....

If you don't want to keep the top-box, you can trade it for cash in no time on this forum--probably get $250-$300 for it....

OK, I have the V46 and SR357 mounting frame. I commute 47 miles each way in DC traffic doing 80 as much as I can. I can't say that I've noticed a big difference with or without the back, so I always leave mine on. Plus wiht the V46 I can put my laptop in it. If you're not trying to do a buck everywhere I just don't think you'll really notice the difference.

You really didn't say who's trunk in your post. If it is the factory, that may have taller and flatter profile from the Givi.

For me the difference is whether you intend on carrying a passenger or not.

My Givi V-46 trunk only goes on my bike when I have a passenger. It serves as a backrest and a place to put all the extra gee-gaw that is required by my homogametic passengers. Even taking a weekend trip away, the two side bags give me plenty of space for what I need just myself. OTOH, if I ever get around to a multi-week cross country trip, either solo or two up that extra space will come in real handy.

I picked up a new-old stock (NOS) '09 Yamaha trunk off of eBay for my NOS '09 AE last summer, along with the padded backrest kit. I originally picked the trunk up figuring I'd only use it for riding 2-up, as a safety enhancer for my wife or teen son, but I've used it on long solo trips and find it to have been of value. It hauled my work backpack with laptop for the entire trip, and I could leave my helmet and gloves inside while at the workplace. The long ride was easier without having to worry about a strapped-on bag getting loose, and while on the downward and return legs of the 2000 mile trip itself it was a convenient place for fuel additive, a quart of oil just in case, and a tire pressure gauge stuffed around the backpack.

My eventual goal is to mount a dual-band ham mobile and antenna in it, for talking and tracking. Regardless, it was a good investment that was worth getting, and mounting.

I had a rack then got an oem case from someone on his forum, I love the space and ease to lock my helmet, but 2 small issues.

1. The case tends to make noise/ not quite a rattle, over bumy road, not sure of the longevity based on that - cant findareason why or where

2. Wife finds the backrest digs ino her back, so looking for something softer , I have read people say, it's not a backrest but sure seems like it should be,

anyway will work it out but thought I'd mention em

erik,If you buy the mounting plate for your trunk,could you post a picture here or to send me by e-mail how it looks the plate from under before the installation?I need to see something..
I will post up a pic. I think I saw you were comparing the rubber bumpers at one point weren't you?

Thanks for all of the opinions. I will mount the trunk. It is the OEM trunk. If I hate it I will sell it.

erik,If you buy the mounting plate for your trunk,could you post a picture here or to send me by e-mail how it looks the plate from under before the installation?I need to see something..
I will post up a pic. I think I saw you were comparing the rubber bumpers at one point weren't you?
Thanks for all of the opinions. I will mount the trunk. It is the OEM trunk. If I hate it I will sell it.
Yes,i want to understand what is going with these mounting plates..The first plates had the 5JW-W0720-00 part number,after many years they offered the reinforcement plate 5JW-W0720-20..Last i saw that the rear rubbers are glued in a vertical position.The last weeks i saw that the 5JW-W0720-20 superceded from the 5JW-W0720-21..!From what i can see in their plates for the 50L top cases for the 2013 model they have install metal pipes in the three holes for the bolts..Perhaps the new plate 5JW-W0720-21 has this improvement..

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/yamaha-spare-parts?itemid=5JWW07202100&setlang=en

https://www.boatpartguys.com/ocart/5JW-W0720-20-00

https://www.gearhead.com/yamaha-5jw-w0720-20-00.html#/s/YAM//5JW-W0720-20-00/1

If you see gingerly you will noticed the three metal pipes in the holes for the bolts in the 2013 model 50L plate: