recall complication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
I just got back from leaving my 2006 AE at North Hollywood Honda/Yamaha ($70 cab ride). The connector was burned, and the bike failed the diagnostic test that would have allowed use of the small repair (basically a jumper wire), so to fix it requires replacing the whole harness. As that requires dismantling half the bike and as they didn't have the harness in stock (arrives Tuesday), I'm without transportation for about a week. But the really ugly part is that Yamaha refused to pay for the detaching/reattaching of my farkles (fuse block, cruise control, horns, etc). After some haggling, Yamaha agreed to pay half the cost of rewiring the farkles up to 3 hours. I shouldn't have to pay any of it, but I don't have the time or energy to spend battling over this.

I did have the option of not having the fix done at all and using Brodie's harness to alleviate the problem, but the dealer pointed out that if I ever want to sell the bike it wouldn't have been registerable without all the recalls having been performed. So I just said THWI and told them to go ahead.

But it's something to think about as you get ready to take your bike in for the recall fix. If it passes the diagnostic (most do, according to the service manager), you have no problem; it's a quick fix. If it doesn't, and you're farkled up, you do have a problem.

This is the first time I've been sorry to own a Yamaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not surprised that they did not want to touch any collateral non- OEM wiring / accessories. I would think it's the liability and the time. Although I'm not looking forward to it, my bike will have to be stripped down to OEM specs before it goes in.

I did have the option of not having the fix done at all and using Brodie's harness to alleviate the problem, but the dealer pointed out that if I ever want to sell the bike it wouldn't have been registerable without all the recalls having been performed.
Is that true? How would the DMV know if it hadn't had the recalls done?

Since this is part of a recall I don't think Yamaha could have refused to replace the harness. But I am suprised they didn't try to attribute the burned connector to the non-approved accessories. Had this been a straight-up warranty repair I think the outcome would have been much less predictable.

Personally I wouldn't want a dealer touching any add-on electrical accessories. They don't know what they are, they don't know where they go, they don't know what the items are supposed to do, even.

You say, Why not note things as you disconnect, and put them back the same?

If it ain't in the Yamaha publication, they won't touch it. They will make no assumptions that whoever installed the later accessories was knowledgeable.

I did have the option of not having the fix done at all and using Brodie's harness to alleviate the problem, but the dealer pointed out that if I ever want to sell the bike it wouldn't have been registerable without all the recalls having been performed.
Is that true? How would the DMV know if it hadn't had the recalls done?
Yeah, your're right. I thought of that. I don't know if it's true. I do know that my neighbor's mortgage company knew that his property taxes were late, so it's hard anymore to know who has access to what databases. I also know that, regardless of whether it's true, I would neither sell nor buy a bike if all the recalls hadn't been done, so I just decided THWI and opted to have them do it. It's a decision I hope I don't regret (like if the cruise control no longer works once they're finished with it), but I knew I'd be getting it done eventually, so it might as well be sooner as later.

How would the DMV know if it hadn't had the recalls done?

Recalls are the manufacturer's responsibility and don't "go away"

until they're done.

Since recalls are VIN specific, everytime that vehicle is registered

the recall will "pop" until it's removed from the Manuf's data base.

I've had vehicles recalled even though I was several times removed

from the original owner. The Manuf. will track the vehicle down.

However, unless Cali state laws are different, I've never had an existing

recall prevent transfer or registration.

I've never known where an owner was obligated to have the recall done.

By no means am I an expert on the subject, but nowadays recalls are

not unusual.

the dealer pointed out that if I ever want to sell the bike it wouldn't have been registerable without all the recalls having been performed.
Unless CA has some particular regulation regarding recalls and ownership transfer, I call bull on this. I've owned more than one MC that had outstanding recalls at the time I registered it. One of them had 12, yes 12, it's not a typo, outstanding recalls when it was titled to me. The most recent was a 2009 KLR Kaw I bought new. There was a well known recall that I assumed would be addressed before the bike was available for sale. I know that the bike I bought was on the show room floor for a month before I bought it and this was several months after the recall was released. I received the recall notice from the mother ship a couple of weeks after it was registered. I gave the GM of the dealer and the service manager a chewing that the both of them will no doubt recall for years.

I'm not surprised they wouldn't take care of the farkle reconnection, for the same reasons noted above. But just like my having a ticker that's been fixed, I'd be happy to deal with the hassle of setting up the farkles again in exchange for getting the harness that should have been on the bike when it left the factory. (I'm sure I'd be a lot faster doing it the second time.)

This is the best bike I've ever owned, and if there's an especially vexing problem (there are a couple, depending on generation), getting it fixed RIGHT just allows my continuing infatuation with this bike to become unconditional love.

I'm not surprised they wouldn't take care of the farkle reconnection, for the same reasons noted above. But just like my having a ticker that's been fixed, I'd be happy to deal with the hassle of setting up the farkles again in exchange for getting the harness that should have been on the bike when it left the factory. (I'm sure I'd be a lot faster doing it the second time.)

This is the best bike I've ever owned, and if there's an especially vexing problem (there are a couple, depending on generation), getting it fixed RIGHT just allows my continuing infatuation with this bike to become unconditional love.
Could not say it better. And, after examining the 'fix' I can and will place the 'known' Brodie fix back in circuit.
Bluntly honest - the Brodie harness works. Proven.

The Yamaha fix? Not yet.

Having said that, I appreciate and applaud Yamaha for stepping up (after serious prodding, :****: ) and addressing this matter - unlike BMW and final drive failures for example. Thinking on it, Yamaha also stepped up regarding the Gen 1 ticking issue.

Edit - and if you're rider enough, and have the Brodie harness in place, your bike will be worn out way before it's even worth a re-sale price.. Just sayin'..

Hugs n' Kisses

:****:

Edit - and if you're rider enough, and have the Brodie harness in place, your bike will be worn out way before it's even worth a re-sale price.. Just sayin'..
THIS....from the Candy Butt Association President?!?! :eek:

Hugs and kisses, Don..... ;)
Well, yes Mikee! But CBA riders just do it 100 miles at a time! :****:

:lol:

Hugs n' Kisses back!

The pass/fail test described by the Yamaha recall bulletin is to perform a physical inspection of the connector and replace the harness if there is any evidence of burn marks on the connector, otherwise a jumper is added. There is no mention or authorization of a diagnostic test as substitute to a physical inspection. Do you know what the dealer had in mind?

Regarding registration, DMV doesn't require private party seller/buyer compliance with vehicle recalls as a condition to transfer ownership or for registration renewal. I am uncertain whether dealers have a compliance burden that don't apply to private parties.

It seems unreasonable to me that you expect Yamaha to pay for additional labor to reconnect all your farkles if they are bridge tapped throughout the harness. A three hour labor subsidy as a customer goodwill gesture sounds good to me and I wouldn't slam the manufacturer if he didn't accept full responsibility to reconnect your custom wiring job. If you're unhappy with the yamaha solution and their offer then go for your other option of buying the retail substitute and do the job yourself.