Recieved Call From Yamaha

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondo777

Reaction score
I just recieved a call from Yamaha concerning my recent Ignition failure. Seems that they are at least acknowledging the fact that there is a problem. In there wisdom they believe it is a "Cold Solder Issue" Hum, imagine that. We spoke for about 45 mins and he mentioned that there working up to a recall for the ignition. He also stated that cutting the zip ties and giving a little play in the wire harness comming out of the switch would probably make the issue worse it there is a cold solder. Not sure that I aggree but thought I put it out there. I for one, even though I have a new ignition dont trust it and would love to see the recall. He went on to mention the jacked up On - OFF throttle response, tight throttle spring, and ecu issues. They are def aware of our gripes and seem to agree with us on them all.

I just recieved a call from Yamaha concerning my recent Ignition failure..they are at least acknowledging the fact that there is a problem...they believe it is a "Cold Solder Issue"...He also stated that cutting the zip ties and giving a little play in the wire harness coming out of the switch would probably make the issue worse it there is a cold solder...
If the problem were truly cold solder cutting the zip tie would make the problem worse. Cold solder is crystalline and allowing the wires to move would crack the solder. In all the pictures we have seen so far, the broken solder joints have a bright shiny appearance instead of a gray crystalline look. Then there are the failures where all the wires are still intact.

At least Yamaha is acknowledging something is going on. Good job getting this far in getting info from them Rondo777!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they mention 2007's also for this problem? So far, the vast majority of ignition failures seem to be '06's, but that could be because they generally have more miles?

Herkypilot

They are def aware of our gripes and seem to agree with us on them all.
[Hijack]

Hmmm....so if anyone still wonders if Yahama folks read this forum, wonder no-more. (Thus the rule about manuals).

[/Hijack]

It's good that Yam is taking steps to correct this. :good:

Yamaha has always responded to the major issues on the FJR over the years. Maybe not quickly enough for some of you, but they do come through relatively quickly compared to some companies.

They are def aware of our gripes and seem to agree with us on them all.
[Hijack]

Hmmm....so if anyone still wonders if Yahama folks read this forum, wonder no-more. (Thus the rule about manuals).

[/Hijack]

It's good that Yam is taking steps to correct this. :good:
I mentioned the forum and he actually shot it down. He said too much uninformed crap bouncing around the forums. I defended this one and explained that all the issues that he is aware of are contained in the forum and not to dismiss it so easily.

If the problem were truly cold solder cutting the zip tie would make the problem worse. Cold solder is crystalline and allowing the wires to move would crack the solder. In all the pictures we have seen so far, the broken solder joints have a bright shiny appearance instead of a gray crystalline look. Then there are the failures where all the wires are still intact.
At least Yamaha is acknowledging something is going on. Good job getting this far in getting info from them Rondo777!
Cold Solder joints can be shiney as well. The only real way to tell if you have one is to get at it with a magnifier or scope so you can look closer at it. I have seen some that looked good until you got right up on them and could see the problem. Could also be up into the wire itself if they didn't use proper tools while soldering, the solder will wick up into the wire and create problems, not right away but later, which would hold true with what is being seen here. Even vibration stress can cause problems with solder joints over time. Poor QA up front creates problems later on.

USS PRINCETON was almost blown in half by a mine during the first Gulf War. They put her all back together and about a year after started having equipment failures, when they got into the equipment, they found that the initial blast had caused hairline fractures in the solder on major communications gear and after vibration started working on them long enough, the were breaking apart, acting just like cold solder. A lot of work and time went back into redoing those systems. Nobody thought to check that closely and to the naked eye, all looked well.

I know that companies are uncomfortable with forums. A bad reputation spreads fast on a forum, especially one as big as this. There are several new members every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that companies are uncomfortable with forums. A bad reputation spreads fast on a forum, especially one as big as this. There are several new members every day.
Both companies and dealerships resent the loss of control of information that they used to have.

Just got my new ignition installed. Now doing battle with them because I want one key to open all of the locks; gas cap, bags & ignition. Unlike Honda, Yamaha does not sell a a lock set so a lock smith will have to rebuild my new ignition lock to work with my old keys.

Just got my new ignition installed. Now doing battle with them because I want one key to open all of the locks; gas cap, bags & ignition. Unlike Honda, Yamaha does not sell a a lock set so a lock smith will have to rebuild my new ignition lock to work with my old keys.
You have got to be kidding me. Knock on wood, I don't have this ignition problem, but if I did I sure would not want to have a different key for ignition. :unsure:

Linky to Post (Ignition Rekeyed By Yama)

Check out the link above, my ignition failure saga. The bottom line is, YAMAHA DID PAY to have my ignition rekeyed. You need to talk to Yamaha customer service. Screw messing with the dealer, :argue: go straight to the source. 5 mins on the phone and Yamaha set the dealer straight. :drinks:

Have at em brother! [SIZE=18pt]Yamaha Customer Service 800 962 7026[/SIZE]

Dave,

IMO that is a halfway repair. Like almost matching the paint. Too bad my opinion carries zero weight with Yamaha.

:)

I'm seriously considering investing to re-key my gas cap and bag locks so they will accept any similar Yamaha key. Mainly because I can just smell an ignition failure coming and all the crap that currently goes along with it.

:(

Have at em brother! Yamaha Customer Service 800 962 7026
That's why they hate forums. You can just imagine the chill that goes through someone's spine when their customer service line gets posted in a thread of dissatisfied customers. Not saying it's wrong to do so, just sayin.

Have at em brother! Yamaha Customer Service 800 962 7026
That's why they hate forums. You can just imagine the chill that goes through someone's spine when their customer service line gets posted in a thread of dissatisfied customers. Not saying it's wrong to do so, just sayin.

Added the number to speed dial on my cell phone just in case... :glare: