Recommendations for FJR Alternative?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triumph ST
it's lighter and smaller with shorter seat height.
The ST looks like about the closest thing you'll see to an FJR but smaller and lighter. Personally I prefer the look of the Tiger to the ST. Both worth taking a look at. The Tiger is more like an FZ1 with bags.

The FZ6 is a cool bike and suits a smaller rider well, but it's not really a sport-tourer - it has zip weather protection, no factory hard bags, etc. It's also a bit "frantic" at speed and not a very relaxing ride.
Assuming she's got the pocketbook, the new BMW F800ST is probably the class act in the small sport-touring segment right now and has all the desirable sport-touring options - ABS, heated grips, hard bags, etc. Might even have a adjustable seat height or a factory lowering kit.

- Mark
I don't know... I think it is a sport tourer in it's own way. Great protection with the taller screen. Givi makes a great set for hard bags. Here is my setup with the soft bags.

4.jpg

As far as being "frantic" at speed. Not sure what yer refering to. Having ridden both the FJR and the FZ I would say there is nothing frantic about it. Just depends on how you ride I suppose. You do give up some options getting away from the FJR of course.

Here is one with the Givi set up but with the shorter Puig windscreen.

FZPLXV35-1.JPG

FZPLXV35-2.JPG

Oh yes... one more thing. Options for lowering are a bit limited I think. I would check with a dealer or do some web research. Seat height is pretty much the same as the FJR. I do believe it can be done though.

My wife has both an FJR and an FZ6, both of which she loves dearly but for entirely different reasons and purposes. I don't think the FZ6 will meet all your criteria; the windshield is nowhere near as high as an FJR's, and even with a taller aftermarket screen she won't have as much wind coverage as I think she wants for a touring bike. It also isn't idea for a highway touring machine; it's got a gem of motor but it does get irritatingly buzzy at sustained highway speeds (at least according to my wife). That's why she has both; the FJR is her touring machine, the FZ is her hooligan fun machine.

but I digress. Yeah the FJR is a tall, wide bike and handful for a gal unless she's an Amazon (which my wife is: 5'11", 36" inseam). As mentioned, the new BMW 800 is a nice bike that should fit.

5922SteveVFRweb.jpg

VFR

I miss mine. Great bike. Smooooooth V4 800cc, Honda reliability (never a problem with any of my many Honda's).

Get a red one so you can get the factory hardbags($1000 option) or just look for a good used model with low miles even though it will run forever.

5922VFR_1e.jpg

You can add a higher windscreen though the stock is o.k., Helibar risers, Sargent seat. Large gas tank allows for good distance and magnetic tankbag.

You can find a '04 like mine here or '03-06 (no changes) with under 10k miles for ~$5-7k.

40 mpg every tank on regular gas to boot.

5922VFR_2e.jpg

The VFR looks and handles good with the locking hardbags on or off.

Steve

Thanks for all the great ideas. Her main criteria is:
--enough power to maintain, ahem, touring speed, in a head wind; :clapping:

--high windshield

--touring bags

--light weight

--low seat height

--comfortable on a long trip

and I'm going to strongly encourage her to get ABS.
Unless you or your wife are seriously bigotted against the idea, in other words, don't suffer from scooter-phobia, everything you're looking for is right here:

AN650AK7.jpg

Suffering from bad knees, bad back, permanent post-surgical trauma and simply getting older, I can see myself on something like this some day. Fortunately, at 6'4" and a 36" inseam, I don't have any problems (today) with the, ahem, "stoutness" of an FJR. But I'm sure someday that will all change.

Don't I recall a conversation hereabouts, maybe in the early, early days of the forum, a discussion about a Burgman in a BBG or SS1000?

My wife has a burgman and keeps reasobable pace in the zero to 80 mph range. She's got a 48 quart igloo under the seat too. Nice convinient ride.

Dennis

I have a lady friend who has a Triumph Trophy 900. She likes the concept of a sport tourer bike, but she needs a bike that is lighter and has a shorter seat height than her Trophy and an FJR. She has trouble manuvering her Trophy at low speeds or when stopped, parking, backing, etc. For her, an FJR is too tall and heavy.
She wants a bike that has, or can have, a windshied tall enough to block most of the wind, luggage, low seat height, and light enough for her to feel comfortable at low speed. Basically, she wants an FJR that is smaller.

Any suggestions?
This is the dilemma that I face daily. I love my FJR but my 27" inseam wasn't made for such a bike. I don't have the upper body strength for man-handling the brute around either.

I looked around at seat heights and found:

FJR 31.7

YZF 31.7

FZ1 32.1

Honda 599 31.1

CBR 600RR 32.3

Kawasaki 650R 31.1

Triumph ST 31.7

As you can see, there's not a whole lot to choose between them. I have a Ninja 650R which is actually higher than my FJR. The latter was lowered by 0.75". The Ninja is easier to move around and a lot of fun to ride, but it's no FJR for the longer rides.

I stick with the FJR, even though it is too big for me, because it is such a great touring, and general riding bike. High winds don't faze it, uneven road surfaces are smoothed out. The seat feels like a sofa compared to others (thanks to Rocky Mayer). And I don't need to even mention the oodles of power available when needed.

I've learned to plan my parking spaces ahead, so that I can ride the bike out rather than try to back it out. I'm not too proud to accept offers of help either. (Barabus does a great job with the valet parking)

I've also learned that my confidence level is a lot higher on a much smaller bike. For example, I've recently ridden a Honda 100 dirt bike, a Suzuki GN125 and a Ninja 250. They're my sized bikes but I still want my FJR.

Hope you find something that fits her needs.

Jill

My wife has an 05 ST-1300. I had Traxxion lower it. Better wind protection than the FJR and plenty of power. My wife has a 28" inseam and can almost flat foot the bike now.

.......This is the dilemma that I face daily......
I have a feeling that there is a significant unrealized market for a smaller sport-touring bike. A lot of women and some men would buy it. Maybe one day one of the bike manufacturers will produce one that has:

900-1000 cc

Seat height 29-30"

tall windshield

hard luggage

wet weight: <450 lbs.

upright riding position

ABS (of course)

A bike like this would make a good commuter bike, as well as a sport-touring machine.

I have a feeling that there is a significant unrealized market for a smaller sport-touring bike. A lot of women and some men would buy it. Maybe one day one of the bike manufacturers will produce one that has:
900-1000 cc

Seat height 29-30"

tall windshield

hard luggage

wet weight: <450 lbs.

upright riding position

ABS (of course)

A bike like this would make a good commuter bike, as well as a sport-touring machine.
I'd be REALLY interested in such a bike, especially if it could deliver similar performance to the FJR.

Jill

I'm not sure how this figures in to the equation, but I'm pretty sure that looking for a lighter bike for open road touring is just not going to happen. I was reminded of this on a recent trip when I was surprising transported from the center of my lane to the right 1.5 feet as I came over an interstate highway overpass. If I had been on a lighter bike I would have been in the corn field (although there's more than corn in Indiana). Being put on 'notice', the next two hours were 'white-knuckle' driving, with stops at every roadside reststop to relax my aching hands and arms. When I related this story to a friend he recalled the same experience as a kid riding with his uncle many years ago on the same roadway. :dribble:

Hate to bring bmw into this,my wife is vertically challenged and I got her an older R1100RS,a 96 model with 10-k.

It has hard bags,a 3 adjustment seat& adjustable windshield.Power wise it's ok.

It's a pretty good all around bike you might want to consider.

Renee rides an R1 as her favorite ride but uses an FZ6 as a sport tourer with Ventura luggage system

A Picture is worth a lot of my verbage.

Al

Renee.jpg

I looked long and hard for a similar solution for my wife. No luck. I would have given a lot of money for a smaller version of an FJR, ST, etc. Unfortunately, we had to settle.

That being said, my wife is happy with her bike. She uses an 06 Ninja 650r as a sport tourer and loves it. With the addition of a full set of soft luggage (Givi hard bags and trunk are available) and a bigger windscreen, it works out fairly well for her. It has about the lowest seat height available and it's extremely narrow in the waist making it easier to flat-foot. It's also very light which is good and bad. She can push it around pretty good, but so can the wind. The full fairing provides pretty good protection and the seating position is much more upright than a true sport bike.

Besides getting pushed around by the wind, the only complaint so far is the vibration. Her throttle hand gets pretty uncomfortable after a while. Bar ends, gel grips, and padded gloves have helped some.

Dave

Panayoti,

You may have met Renee at SFO. I believe we all had dinner together at Colton's.

Thanks for the compliment and I will pass it on to her.

See you at Fall Freak Out in Russellville and we can have a brew together.

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by a dealer today....they still had a brand new 2006 Suzuki Katana on the floor. $6,999 msrp. I think this would make a great S-T with some Givi side cases. Just a thought...if it was still on the floor they'd HAVE to be dealing. More than adequate power and decent wind protection with an oversized windshield.

Latest posts