Remedies for hip/knee pain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrwhatfjis

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on what I might do or purchase to help relieve my hip and knee discomfort on long rides. I suspect the vibration (minimal as it is) and the prolonged position of my legs on the factory pegs is the culprit. By the end of a long day my knees and hips are exacting their vengeance. I think if I could safely change my leg position periodically it would go some distance in remedying the problem. Any thoughts on how I can still enjoy my three or four day rides with less pain and more fun? What do you think of the highway pegs out there and the foot peg lowering kits?

Also, non-spring-chickens like myself always carry 600 mg ibupropen....does great for this kind of occasional pain. Pegs and pills....what a great combo!

Also, non-spring-chickens like myself always carry 600 mg ibupropen....does great for this kind of occasional pain. Pegs and pills....what a great combo!
+1

a bottle of generic advil is always available in my tank bag

two tylenol, two advil, and my bipolar med first thing in the morning before the ride

advil every 4-6 hours after that

does make a difference and pain free for butt, legs, and hands

good living through chemistry

Last edited by a moderator:
So Sorry Patriot and other forum members for doing this, as I had no idea, after reading links :eek: , as usual always read the fine print. My shout at the bar :drinks: if that helps any though. Now I feel like a real dumb a$$.

So Sorry Patriot and other forum members for doing this, as I had no idea, after reading links :eek: , as usual always read the fine print. My shout at the bar :drinks: if that helps any though. Now I feel like a real dumb a$$.
don't despair or worry about it...there's lotsa info around here and it's natural to dive right into the farkle, technical, and personal stuff. Again, just a friendly pointing into the needed direction to keep the gestapo off your back. :rolleyes:

In my case, my dunderhead violations of forum protocol were met with the baseball phylosphy. Ya get three strikes before... :dribble:

Carry on...

You should also try Naproxen, taking regular clinical doses of ibupropen is not very good for your innards. By rotating analgesics, asprin, ibupropen, naproxen, and my favorite beer (not recommended while riding cause ya gots to pee too often), I figure I'm damaging everything about equal, and this is part of my plan to check out with all tires on the wear bars.

You should also try Naproxen, taking regular clinical doses of ibupropen is not very good for your innards. By rotating analgesics, asprin, ibupropen, naproxen, and my favorite beer (not recommended while riding cause ya gots to pee too often), I figure I'm damaging everything about equal, and this is part of my plan to check out with all tires on the wear bars.
3859677866_5b5b6aa9a8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any advice on what I might do or purchase to help relieve my hip and knee discomfort on long rides. I suspect the vibration (minimal as it is) and the prolonged position of my legs on the factory pegs is the culprit. By the end of a long day my knees and hips are exacting their vengeance. I think if I could safely change my leg position periodically it would go some distance in remedying the problem. Any thoughts on how I can still enjoy my three or four day rides with less pain and more fun? What do you think of the highway pegs out there and the foot peg lowering kits?
Just stand on your pegs every 20-30 minutes. Stretch out your legs/knees and sit back down.

Now, that's just not nice :)

New custom seat was the ticket for me but I'm going to try some touring pegs too so I have some variety when on long rides.

Seat was the biggie for me though.

GoldWing is another option.

Buy a GoldWing!!

I find I can sit in three different places on the seat which gives me a little break.

• Normal seating setting straight up,
  • With my butt as close to the tank slouching cruiser style.
  • Slide my butt as far back as I can and lean forward a little.

Each gives me a break for my butt and my legs on a long ride. Taking breaks is a big one too.

I'll buy some highway pegs one day, for now I can get a break when needed.

OK, here's my whole story setup for long distance (for me) riding of a 700-800 mile day...

Now I'm Gen I, but there are equalivent farkles for Gen II's

Two sets of risers...bars are raised 2" and back 1.75 inches with a 10 degree opening of the angle of the bars from stock

Yes, like a sailboat tiller, I'm told

Sargent Seat (wider and flater) with Airhawk Air Pad

Wild Bill Highway Pegs

My Nelson Rigg Weekender luggage bag strapped to the pillion seat

It's usually full of spare gear in case the temps change, rain gear, maybe camping equipment, & misc like a first aid kit

I then have three distinct positions when riding...I also stand up on the stock pegs and ride that way for 30-60 seconds to stretch and give my butt a chance to circulate it's blood supply

I can ride board straight upright comfortably holding the bars, feet on the highway pegs, and leaning a bit back against the

Weekender which is full enough to bulge over the seam between the driver and pillion seat

I can ride slightly forward like anyone else with feet on the stock pegs and holding on the bars with the higher and farther back risers

This is what I do when riding agressively in the twisties or coming to a stop at an intersection (good to get my foot to the brake pedal or to shift up or down)

I can ride bent forward by placing my feet wrapped around the top of the passenger pegs...course, can feel my manhood against the back of the tank this way...best to be on a smooth road

I find that a couple of generic asprine (before the ride starts) followed by the recommended dosages as the day progresses eases the pain in the knees. Stopping every 1-2 hours for a walk about also helps.

Old age ( and aging joints ) is a bitch, but it beats the hell out of the alternative.