Removing duct tape residue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I'll give each suggestion a review as I use them (some a second time, but with a different application process). Hopefully, my report will be very short and very positive. Thank you gentlemen.

I tried spraying a few times but it is a fairly vertical surface -- would soaking a towel or something with the stuff and holding it in place with painters tape work better?
You can always convert the vertical surface into a horizontal surface. Preferably put on sliders before this conversion.

I've never had to remove duct tape residue, but kerosene works wonders. It also has a very high flashpoint compared to other solvents, so you don't have to keep re-applying to stay ahead of evaporation.

The best advice I ever received on getting decal/tape residue off came from my wife so she gets the credit.

It doesn't involve any solvent at all. When peeling a decal off and some glue remains on the panel surface, simply reapply the decal but with the sticky stuff still on the decal now over the residue on you panel. Peel it off quickly. Repeat until it is all lifted off. Balling the decal up and and quickly dabbing it repeatedly on the remaining residue seems to be the most effective way. The residue would rather stick to itself than to the panel. Don't touch the residue with your fingers or the oil will impede the process.

Works perfect 99% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had applied regular manila colored masking tape to hold unbolted plastic panels in place while trailering the bike to the shop. These were the top horizontal panels that I was too lazy to remove attached wires.

Month later I was putting back on all the plastic and had the attached old glue and tape particles adherring to some of the plastic.

Tried Rubbing alcohol and mineral spirits with no result. WD40 with some increasing elbow grease was the charm.

Tell us the truth Shiney. Your trying trying to get the duct tape residue off your kid's pet hamster. You wrapped it in duct tape so it wouldn't explode when you had you way with it and now that your done you are feeling bad and trying to get the residue off the hamster before you put it back in the cage.

The first step in getting help is to admit you have a problem...

Maybe you, Bust and Howie should start and Animal Lovers Support group.

What's next the family cat...

article-1216934-069D9291000005DC-36_468x286_popup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want to use a belt sander or a propane torch:

Some of that sticky stuff comes right off with food-grade lemon oil. Honest. And it doesn't damage the surface. You can get it at a good supermarket or fancy cooking ware store like williams sonoma.

Sounds strange, but peanut butter seems to work. The oil disolves the adhesive, the goop holds it in place. Apply and let sit overnight.

I usually have luck using another piece of fresh duct tape to "dab" the old glue residue off onto the fresh piece, but if the residue has aged alot this might not work. :rolleyes:

Tell us the truth Shiney. Your trying trying to get the duct tape residue off your kid's pet hamster. You wrapped it in duct tape so it wouldn't explode when you had you way with it and now that your done you are feeling bad and trying to get the residue off the hamster before you put it back in the cage.
The first step in getting help is to admit you have a problem...

Maybe you, Bust and Howie should start and Animal Lovers Support group.

What's next the family cat...

article-1216934-069D9291000005DC-36_468x286_popup.jpg
So false and defamatory! It was a guinea pig..... oops :blink: