Removing Scuff marks on the MCL triple clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
I bought my bike with the MCL upper triple clamp bar riser on it...however the keys on the keyring have left nice little black scuff marks that look like crap. Im trying to figure out how to get that off. Any sugestions?

Depending how bad...Meguiars Scratch-X it!

Just look at the detail on that bottle! :)

6Ypt9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use Scratch-X, it is for paint swirls. MCL's risers are bead blasted giving them a satin finish. You may end up with no scratch, but a much shinier area then you desire. I would contact him for advice, but on mine I have not found a good answer to small scratches. I have tried 000 steel wool with some success, but the finishes do not match very well.

Gene

If the keys on the ring problem is yours, stop using the whole key ring to run the bike. Keep the bike key loose.

If it's not you doing it, then never mind. Go find the previous owner and kick him in the applesack for ruining your bike. ;)

If the keys on the ring problem is yours, stop using the whole key ring to run the bike. Keep the bike key loose.

If it's not you doing it, then never mind. Go find the previous owner and kick him in the applesack for ruining your bike. ;)
+1 Tiny quick disconnects that can be found in any Home Depot or Lowes or any Key Shop will make that problem go away. :)

Yeah, I know not to do that but tis a previous owner thing....I aint goign to complain though, I got my 07 with 11k miles and 4k+ in mods and I only paid 4k for the whole bike, so I aint gonna complain....LOL

I used 0000 steel wool to polish mine back out.
I might have to give that a try

Yeah, I know not to do that but tis a previous owner thing....I aint goign to complain though, I got my 07 with 11k miles and 4k+ in mods and I only paid 4k for the whole bike, so I aint gonna complain....LOL

I am confused...what is the issue...can you provide some pictures

Willie

I am confused...what is the issue...can you provide some pictures

Willie
There is no issue. Just don't look down. :rolleyes:

I have the same thing on my MCL TT. I just live with it. It is from my ring that goes through my key. I can not hang on to just a key so it is what it is. Will try a light 000 and see if it improves it.

My bike is a rider, and a runner, not too concerned on the little things that probably only I notice. I fussed and polished chrome too many hours/years, this FJR is a rider, not a show bike.

Same thing with my MCL clamp. It definitely looks bad but as mentioned above - too many years of polishing. I guess the older you get, time becomes more precious. I'd rather spend mine riding.

I bought my bike with the MCL upper triple clamp bar riser on it...however the keys on the keyring have left nice little black scuff marks that look like crap. Im trying to figure out how to get that off. Any sugestions?
I have the MCL Triple clamp too. Mine also had a few little scuffs when I bought the bike used. I have since added a key for my GIVI V46 trunk to the ring. The scuffs are now slightly worse. It is OK though, next week I plan to disassemble the entire bike, take the triple clamp to a machine shop in town, have the area with scuffs milled out to a depth of .118 inches. Then, I will find a company to make me a custom Teflon insert to precisely fill The milled area. I hope to find some Teflon glue so I can get the insert to stay in it's bed. This should help for a while. Or,I may try some silver polish . . .

I have the MCL Triple clamp too. Mine also had a few little scuffs when I bought the bike used. I have since added a key for my GIVI V46 trunk to the ring. The scuffs are now slightly worse. It is OK though, next week I plan to disassemble the entire bike, take the triple clamp to a machine shop in town, have the area with scuffs milled out to a depth of .118 inches. Then, I will find a company to make me a custom Teflon insert to precisely fill The milled area. I hope to find some Teflon glue so I can get the insert to stay in it's bed. This should help for a while. Or,I may try some silver polish . . .
I'll be darned, the silver polish actually sort of worked. NOT in the places where the bead blasting is rubbed smooth though.

I was thinking about cutting a piece of leather or plastic to cover the scuffed area and gluing it down.

Key words "thinking about". :blink:

The only real way to restore it is to bead blast it back to the slightly textured original finish. Sanding/steel wool will just polish it shiny where the bead blasting is worn smooth. You could paint it with something silver, but that just brings up a whole other set of issues. I'd probably just leave it and perhaps clean it up when you go to sell the bike one day maybe never...... the cover idea sounds good, you could use 3M clear film once you did get it refurbed......

The only real way to restore it is to bead blast it back to the slightly textured original finish. Sanding/steel wool will just polish it shiny where the bead blasting is worn smooth. You could paint it with something silver, but that just brings up a whole other set of issues. I'd probably just leave it and perhaps clean it up when you go to sell the bike one day maybe never...... the cover idea sounds good, you could use 3M clear film once you did get it refurbed......
Just any piece of good 3M reflective tape cut to size will do it, now that you mentioned it. Thanks I know how I am gonna fix mine :)

OMG!!! What are you guys gonna do when you get that first stone chip, windshield scratch, scuffed pannier,dirty tire?????? :dribble:

Trailer queens anyway.