Repairing my FJR Yamaha topcase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to take their top case (bottom half - the part that mounts to the bike, not the lid part) inner lining out?

Reason? Just bought an '06 and original owner broke the rear top case just below the latch. The crack is visible near the latch and runs down under the reinforcement plate of the trunk. (This tells me it's an updated trunk since it has the reinforcement plate already mounted - alot of good it did though - perhaps his missus was a heavy packer. . .)

My idea is to take the inner lining out and fibre-glass/repair the crack from the inside.

I removed the fasteners and drilled out the 6 or so rivets on the inside bottom of the trunk and then started to break the rubber seal between the inner and outer linings but it still doesn't seem to want to separate.

Maybe I'm missing something but can't see any other fasterners etc. and don't want to break it by reefing on it too hard.

Hoping someone has done this before and knows. Sorry, coudn't find a thread on this in the forum if it exists, just some stuff on the reinforcement plate.

I tried to separate the lid cover from its liner once and ended up cracking the cover - it's extremely thin and fragile. I think there is glue holding them together somewhere near the scenter of the cover. Might be the same for the base. Be careful. I hate to suggest it, but maybe a little heat to soften the adhesive?

Seems like canuklehead and FJRGuy tried something like this a while back.. The results were less than spectacular :blink:

I attempted to take mine apart before painting it. Then thought better after prying and heating with no success..

I tried to separate the lid cover from its liner once and ended up cracking the cover - it's extremely thin and fragile. I think there is glue holding them together somewhere near the scenter of the cover. Might be the same for the base. Be careful. I hate to suggest it, but maybe a little heat to soften the adhesive?
Thanks, I'm now wondering if my local yamaha dealer will have an exploded view of the trunk so I can see the inner workings, though I'm only 20% optimistic.

Seems like canuklehead and FJRGuy tried something like this a while back.. The results were less than spectacular :blink:

I attempted to take mine apart before painting it. Then thought better after prying and heating with no success..
Thanks, Bustanut. I might need to just put it all back together and try and exterior-shell only repair. It hurts to admit defeat sometimes. . .

Thanks, Bustanut. I might need to just put it all back together and try and exterior-shell only repair. It hurts to admit defeat sometimes. . .
There is no "I" in defeat, but there is in "quit".