Replacing exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's only one choice!! Holeshot Exhaust complete header system and slip ons!!!

I was rear ended at a stop sign today. Zero to 60 in over 3 seconds is fast. Zero to 10-15 mph after being hit from a car seems faster from a stop to me. Both pipes are bent/dented. Rear wheel seemed ok riding home with no noticible wobble. Minor cut into Storm rear tire from plastic fender and case is bentloose. Bringing bike to Stuart Yamaha tomorrow for repair estimate since they did good job with ignition recall. Should I stick with stock exhaust or is time to try another brand? I lost the link where one can listen to the different sounds of dif aftermarket brands. Any advice appreciated.
Rob
I have Two bros on mine and like it! You want to buy my factory exhaust?? Only has about 500 miles or so on them!!

The exhaust sound comparo is the link on post# 6 in Parts & Accessories, page 68: "fjr music" of March 8, 2008. I don't know how to do the clicky thing or would have done it.

My choice would be Two Brothers exhaust. They have a sound like no other and the quality is outstanding.
Really? I haven't even looked at them in 10 years. Their stuff used to be garbage. Have they really changed? Genuinely curious.
I had a set on my 05' R1 and loved them. I have had Yoshi and Muzzy on other bikes and loved them also. I guess I just love Aftermarket better then stock. I even prefer Aftermarket boobs! :yahoo:

when I save my penies and replace my stock pipes on the FJR it will be Two Brothers.

My choice would be Two Brothers exhaust. They have a sound like no other and the quality is outstanding.
Really? I haven't even looked at them in 10 years. Their stuff used to be garbage. Have they really changed? Genuinely curious.
I had a set on my 05' R1 and loved them. I have had Yoshi and Muzzy on other bikes and loved them also. I guess I just love Aftermarket better then stock. I even prefer Aftermarket boobs! :yahoo:

when I save my penies and replace my stock pipes on the FJR it will be Two Brothers.
SHHHHHHH or the control nazies will come after you.

An just who might that be???

I'd give a listen to staintunes stuff.. Jestal was running 'em and whata sweet sound. Plus unbeatable quality.

I've seen Two Bro's and Muzzy stuff ... not even in the same league B) .

:jester:

Thanks V65. How does one do that clicky thing ??
When you hit reply there is a small greenish button with a plus sign in it above where you are typing. Click that, put in your web address, click ok, then type in what you want to name your hyperlink, and voila!

Can't we leave that conversation in the other thread. It's going so well over there. :glare:

Thanks for all replies/advice. I prob will just purchase stock cans from someone that has for saleand new cheep looking plastic fender. Next to consider is the left case that is damaged. New Yamaha ones are out of sight priced however the '09 grey ones would look good on the silver bike. I think they only sell in pairs, not individual. Do '09's fit on an "06? I would think so.

https://fjr13.org/documents/70.html

Rob R

The person that hit you should be paying for all you damage and injuries,I got hit from behind on the fwy last Aug, I was hit at about 45mph. there insurance paid for all my riding gear full retail, get a lawyer, the insurance company will try to low ball you on the claim,

Glad to hear you are ok Rob - everything else is details. One of my sons was rear ended at a light in Atlanta a year or so ago. He was knocked out but his helmet saved the day, no serious injuries. The bike was done & he gave up riding. . .

Glad to hear that your ok. Did you let loose on the driver with both barrels?

Personally, I cant see spending the enormous amount of cash for just a few horsepower.

Personally, I cant see spending the enormous amount of cash for just a few horsepower.
I think you missed the point: Just about any aftermarket replacement will be cheaper than replacing with stock. The insurance should give him a check to cover replacing with stock. He can then buy an aftermarket exhaust of his choice and pocket the difference, or buy a used set from someone that "upgraded" to aftermarket and do the same.

But if you have to replace damaged exhaust (whether with your own money or insurance money), why replace with the stock system when you could get after-market exhaust for less money and gain some power?

It's also not all about power. I got the Remus Hexacones because they look awesome. The hexagon shape next to the hexagon-shaped side cases makes it look like they were designed for the FJR. If the Hexacones didn't exist, I would've stuck with the stock exhaust because I don't like the basic cylindrical after-market can look. I also wouldn't have spent the money on the Hexacones if they didn't sound better (in my opinion, of course) than stock exhaust and add some extra power.

after market are cheaper than stock with the added bonus of a little more power

I've got D&D's on my 07, much lighter and much louder but, not idiot loud. About $500 shipped for the black ones, so far so good. I like them

much better than stock, these have a nice bark and they look good.

I've got D&D's on my 07, much lighter and much louder but, not idiot loud. About $500 shipped for the black ones, so far so good. I like them

I have Muzzy loud enough to sound like a motorcycle but not so loud as to make you deaf. I have never liked stock pipes on any bike.

I have Muzzy loud enough to sound like a motorcycle but not so loud as to make you deaf. I have never liked stock pipes on any bike.
My Muzzy full system with the quiet core insert is very civilized at normal throttle openings. Not too loud at all.