Replacing exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel lucky having to decide what exhaust to replace. certainly after reading email my son sent me.

A motorcyclist who was seriously injured this morning when he crashed into a deer on U.S. Hwy. 192 in Osceola County has died, the Florida Highway Patrol just reported.

Russell Van Lanen, 56, of Orlando was westbound on 192 in the right lane when three deer tried to cross the highway, near Old Melbourne Highway.

Two of the deer made it across the highway, but the front of the motorcycle struck the third deer about 10:50 a.m.

Upon impact, Van Lanen was thrown to the ground. He was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center with critical injuries, where he died, FHP said.

Useless Pickles,

Just picked up my 09 but prior to getting it I saw the Hexacones on yours. I'm assuming you did the install yourself?, how was it, any issues to expect? where'd you get yours?

That's the first "really want it" farkle I want.

I agree, the shape of those cans make it look like it's made for the bike.

Sorry to side track the thread, any info is appreciated.

I was rear ended at a stop sign today. Zero to 60 in over 3 seconds is fast. Zero to 10-15 mph after being hit from a car seems faster from a stop to me. Both pipes are bent/dented. Rear wheel seemed ok riding home with no noticible wobble. Minor cut into Storm rear tire from plastic fender and case is bentloose. Bringing bike to Stuart Yamaha tomorrow for repair estimate since they did good job with ignition recall. Should I stick with stock exhaust or is time to try another brand? I lost the link where one can listen to the different sounds of dif aftermarket brands. Any advice appreciated.
Rob
I have both mufflers for $150.00 plus shipping.

They are in excellent condition - PM if interested.

Useless Pickles,
Just picked up my 09 but prior to getting it I saw the Hexacones on yours. I'm assuming you did the install yourself?, how was it, any issues to expect? where'd you get yours?

That's the first "really want it" farkle I want.

I agree, the shape of those cans make it look like it's made for the bike.

Sorry to side track the thread, any info is appreciated.
If you're keeping the stock header, there are no installation issues (they need to be expanded to fit the Holeshot headers). Slip-ons are very easy to install by yourself. Just follow the instructions and make sure you tweak the alignment of everything to your satisfaction before tightening everything down. I might have to bend one of the mounting brackets very slightly to get the left can to hang perfectly vertically, but it also might just require loosening the bracket, tweaking and tightening. This tweaking for perfection is probably necessary for many after-market slip-ons.

The biggest issue is price... MSRP is $998 + S/H. If you can afford it, I think it's worth the extra money for the looks compared to other slip-ons. These slip-ons also never require re-packing of fiberglass like some slip-ons do.

I got mine from MaxMOTO. Find their contact info here: https://maxmoto.com/

They don't do online orders, so you'll have to call them.

Pickles,

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna save a little and make that the first "gotta have" farkle. I'll end up with the stock header, not real into the noise but a little more wouldn't hurt.

I agree on the looks, most aftermarket cans have a strap going around the can so it can mount to the frame and that just doesn't work for me.

I'll give the folks at Maxmoto a shout and see what they can do.

Thanks again.

I am very happy with the stock exhaust cans I purchased from forum member Jim Oneill, Ones he sent was exactly as he described. "like New". I was concerned prepaying someone, but this guy sent what I wanted. Thanks Jim.

Next is removing items to be repaint, but may wait till after I take trip from Fl to NC. I am looking at the Cherokee Nat'l Forest to Camp/hike/ride.

Rob R

Go straight pipes. If what I heard all day outside today is any indicator, it's all that's available. :glare: