Replacing my hour long stock seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little surprised that I am the first to mention Rich's in Seattle. From Portland you are close enough. Rich want you there with the seat so he can shape it to your dimensions. He will get you in and out in one day.

He lowered the seat on my 04 a couple inches. I have a 30" inseam also.

I have 30K on the seat and have spent a day on it.

https://www.richscustomseats.com/

There are two schools of thought on this. One group installs handlebar risers, and then immediately starts complaining about the windshield and seat. The risers put your head up higher, away from the shield, and put your weight back on your tailbone.
The other group learns to use the "Master Yoda" techniques - link - and does fine with the stock seat. Slide forward on the seat, carry your weight on your thighs and feet. Don't lean on your hands. That's the way the FJR was designed to be ridden.

At 5'10" and 165#, you should be fine with the stock seat if you get rid of the risers. I'm 5' 11", 185#, and have well over 20K with the stocker, including 7200 miles in ten days last spring. The seat has never been a problem.

Truer words never spoken.

Really, if u ride the thing the way it was designed to be ridden, dang seat could be metal, almost wouldn't matter. What's the point of adding risers, plush seat, lower pegs etc etc, buy a freakin goldwing from the beginning. Hey I'm not knockin anyone, what it is is what it is, be honest.

Regards! all the best.

I am just now (two months later) getting out of the dog house with the Mrs. over the purchase of the 2009. She has even gone for 3 short rides. I need something more comfortable for at least the front seat, not sure about replacing the back. My resources are such that I can't spend the money to try more than one seat option. Bike has riser bars and V stream shield. I am 5'10" and weigh 165. My inseam is 26" (length on jeans is 30"). I know that the Day Long seems pretty popular, as are the Corbins. How do I get this right the first time?
With an inseam of 26 inches, you'll need to go with the corbin. any of the other options will raise your seat height by 1-2 inches. I'd go with the russell if i could touch the ground with it on the bike, but my options were limited due to genetics.

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two schools of thought on this. One group installs handlebar risers, and then immediately starts complaining about the windshield and seat. The risers put your head up higher, away from the shield, and put your weight back on your tailbone.
The other group learns to use the "Master Yoda" techniques - link - and does fine with the stock seat. Slide forward on the seat, carry your weight on your thighs and feet. Don't lean on your hands. That's the way the FJR was designed to be ridden.

At 5'10" and 165#, you should be fine with the stock seat if you get rid of the risers. I'm 5' 11", 185#, and have well over 20K with the stocker, including 7200 miles in ten days last spring. The seat has never been a problem.

Really, if u ride the thing the way it was designed to be ridden, dang seat could be metal, almost wouldn't matter. What's the point of adding risers, plush seat, lower pegs etc etc, buy a freakin goldwing from the beginning. Hey I'm not knockin anyone, what it is is what it is, be honest.

Regards! all the best.

The OP asks for help finding a comfortable replacement seat and you tell him to just man up and "ride it the way it was designed to be ridden". What a load of self aggrandizing crap. Who let you decide how the bike was "designed" to be ridden?

Exactly how does the MYRP help the passenger to be comfortable on a long ride? Or should the wife just man up and stand on the pegs too? Maybe the bike was not really designed to be ridden two up...

If you can be satisfied with your stock seat and bars position, then good for you.

But certainly you know that are (BY FAR) in the minority.

To the OP, the reason that I suggested plunking down the big money on a dual Russell up front is to help you not go through what I (and many other folks) went through to find a comfortable long distance seat. The seats that I have tried and been dissatisfied with were:

Stock seats

Stock seats with custom gel and memory foam inserts (KnoPlace.com)

Corbin Canyon

Corbin Canyon Close (came on my used bike)

Leather Corbin modular, custom made with extra "padding" and heat

Rick Mayer dual seat in vinyl (bought used, was made for a guy my size)

After all this, I finally sucked it up and succumbed to laying out the $$, getting a custom Russell Day Long solo made up in full leather. There is no comparison in comfort to any of the other seats. I can literally ride all day without ever getting off the bike. When I had it made I just had them just recover the passenger seat that (still) has the Gel and Memory foam inserts. In retrospect, this was an expensive mistake.

After my wife saw how long I could ride in complete comfort with the custom Russell, she urged me to get one made up for her too, which I did this past winter. So I bought a second used stock rear seat and sent that back for Russell to do up, which ended up being quite expensive. While I do still have the matching cover, non-custom passenger seat for solo days, it would have been several hundred cheaper to just get the dual seat made the first time around. BTW, my wife loves her new seat.

This is a clear case of function over form. Some people say that the Russell is too ugly and makes it look like an old man bike. I guess that means it looks too comfortable. :unsure: Besides, you can't even see the seat when I'm sitting on it. I don't really think mine looks all that bad.

With solo rear seat

2765603910098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

With dual rear seat

2930824890098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

BTW - Don't bother with the Corbins. They are all as hard as bricks and, being 1 size fits all, are not properly proportioned to your physical shape. The stock seat is more comfortable. Seriously.

BTW - Don't bother with the Corbins. They are all as hard as bricks and, being 1 size fits all, are not properly proportioned to your physical shape. The stock seat is more comfortable. Seriously.
Gunny. I had a Corbin, and recently got my Russell (solo, never ride 2-up). After being broken in (which takes about 2k miles, btw), the Corbin is definitely better than stock, but it still starts getting a little sore after 2 hours although it doesn't seem to get nearly as bad as the stocker. I've done 8-10 hour days on the Corbin with a little discomfort at the end of the day, and more frequent breaks after the first 3-4 hours.

In contrast, as others have said, I can sit in my Russell all day. I've done one 12 hour day and a 10 hour day recently with absolutely no problems. at all.

With your inseam challenges though, you may not be able to go with a Russell. I'm somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9" with a 29" measured inseam, and I'm on my toes with the Russell (I could almost flat foot with the Corbin, and very comfortably on the balls of my feet with stock). Alternatively, you could consider lowering the FJR with Kouba links or something.

I'm not sure if I measured my inseam correctly. It might be more helpful to say that I am able to be flat footed with the bike in the lower seat position and on the balls of my feet in the high position.

FWIW, Russell will work with you if height is an issue. With their design, there is only so much they can do, but they will make an effort to accommodate your needs.

I have nearly 100k on my Russell and it's still as comfortable as the day I got it. Mail in, no adjustments needed. And a big Gunny on getting the passenger seat done at the same time. It's only a little more done at the same time, but is treated as a completely new order if done later and is nearly as expensive as the front seat alone prices out to.

Rich's in Seattle - Rich makes a nice seat, but is not really a maker of Long Distance seats. Yeah, I do know some LD riders with Rich's seats that are happy with them. But I know more that were not and eventually got something else. Rich's is about style and appearance with comfort being a side benefit, IMHO. If you're not going to ride the bike all day, it could be a good option, but it's NOT going to be cheaper than a Russell or Mayer.

Mr Ed's Moto in Albany is the other local option. He does good work, but again, not full bore LD seats. If you can communicate what you need, it goes a long way to ending up with a good seat for you. Cheaper, friendly, good people, but not a Russell. Click Me

Another vote for Russell here. My seat was made when I was well over 400lbs and was great. Now at well below 300lbs it needs to be rebuilt because of all the abuse. They make their own foam now and I understand they dial it in for your needs. You won't be sorry if you do the Russell and its a short ride to get there and you can take the long way home with a happy ass.

Regards! all the best.

The OP asks for help finding a comfortable replacement seat and you tell him to just man up and "ride it the way it was designed to be ridden". What a load of self aggrandizing crap. Who let you decide how the bike was "designed" to be ridden?

Exactly how does the MYRP help the passenger to be comfortable on a long ride? Or should the wife just man up and stand on the pegs too? Maybe the bike was not really designed to be ridden two up...

If you can be satisfied with your stock seat and bars position, then good for you.

But certainly you know that are (BY FAR) in the minority.

snip for brevity...

to your physical shape. The stock seat is more comfortable. Seriously.

Since you've called these posts out Fred...

First, it's not self aggrandizing crap, it's a different perspective on the problem... it's another way of accomplishing the goal, which makes it perfectly relevant.

Second, when one says "as designed", that's kind of obvious isn't it? I mean if you ride it as stock, don't mod it, and it works, wouldn't it be reasonable to say "as designed"? My point would be is that it's a reasonable and acceptable point of view. Does everyone agree with it? no. But is there anything everyone agrees on?

Third, the passenger (and this only pertains to females, I don't have any other kind of passengers ;) ), the way it's suppose to be done is at a stop, they take their arms from around you and put their hands on the tank, to hold themselves up. And they're also suppose to get their butts off the seat and on the side of it, like you, in the corners... all imho if u don't mind ;)

Fourth, the point of posts like this, in this kind of a thread is simple... there's another alternative then adding risers (or double risers), and diff seats, lower pegs, etc etc. That alternative is to change your riding position. As you point out, it's not for everyone. But there are some of us that still mention it, just *because* as you say it's "not popular", because that *may* mean it's *not known*.

I didn't know it for quite some time. I sold a couple of bikes thinking I couldn't ride them, my hands would go numb. But that was really because I didn't know how to ride them. It was me, not the bike.

Fifth, there's a huge benefit from riding the fjr (and any other bike that has some "sport" in it), in this way: When one get's their weight off the hand grips (using the "sit up and beg position" or aka MYRP) the bike is *EXTREMELY* responsive. Because when you press on a hand grip to go in one direction, you don't have all your weight on the other hand grip fighting your input!

What is that result in the "real world" emergency swerving... instantaneous, turn ins... virtually at your will (you think it, it does it).

So... not to escalate this, I don't care to argue, it's just another perspective, and yes, it's totally relevant, and 100% to the point.

Enjoy and be safe, Hank

I'm 6 3 300lbs, and have done multiple 3k in a week trips. All on the stock seat. I usually do a full tank of gas 220-240 miles without stopping. I do some stretches, and change my pressure points while moving, but the 15 min rest while gassing up, having a smoke, water, bio break is enough to allow another tankful. Am I weird?

Whats usually hurts most are the bottoms of my feet. I have Sidi Tepors and the weight of my legs on the balls of my feet, and in the middle, can really get to hurt. Maybe some inserts will help.

I am just now (two months later) getting out of the dog house with the Mrs. over the purchase of the 2009. She has even gone for 3 short rides. I need something more comfortable for at least the front seat, not sure about replacing the back. My resources are such that I can't spend the money to try more than one seat option. Bike has riser bars and V stream shield. I am 5'10" and weigh 165. My inseam is 26" (length on jeans is 30"). I know that the Day Long seems pretty popular, as are the Corbins. How do I get this right the first time?
I'm 74" tall, 250+ lbs, 32" inseam.

Regardless of riding style, my "hinder parts" suffered monkey butt after 200 miles. Of course I don't have the "improved" Gen II but I couldn't stand the pain. It would have been a "deal breaker" to me if I couldn't improve my comfort level on this platform.

I've tried the beads, I've used a sheepskin pad (which really did help immensely by spreading our the load on my fanny/seat interface pressure points).

There are those who will recommend many different solutions. I am a "Master Yoda" subscriber and have been known to ride a rather spirited pace through mountain roads. I am NOT a professional rider, certified instructor/rider counselor-coach or even an accomplished sport bike rider but still enjoy the sporty side of this machine and have been know to enjoy sliding my butt out of the pocket of my Day Long saddle while making "haste" and removing "chicken strips".

Once you described your injuries and current physical conditions, your options became limited.

Call Russell, explain your "inseam challenged" state. They are able to make their seat narrower at the front so you can slide forward and get your feet on the ground. This would be a major reason to make a "Ride In" appointment so you can test-sit your seat as they build it and they can modify it with you present to try it. They may suggest other options but if you end up with a Russell Day long, you'll be happy, your buttocks will thank you and your wife may even ride with you more often.

Good luck on your continued journey into Motorcycle Riding Nirvana.

I will second rich's seats.

I am on my second rich's seat. He built one for my buell and now the fjr. Did the front and the rear. He is in kingston now and has an apartment above his shop that guests can overnight in or he has campsite and rv parking. I would suggest you do driver and passenger.

So... not to escalate this, I don't care to argue, it's just another perspective, and yes, it's totally relevant, and 100% to the point.
Enjoy and be safe, Hank
In that case you might have presented improved riding position as a possibility, i.e. an option to be explored, rather than "The Right Way". The way the FJR was designed to be ridden... reeks of superiority complex.

Enjoy and be safe, Hank
In that case you might have presented improved riding position as a possibility, i.e. an option to be explored, rather than "The Right Way". The way the FJR was designed to be ridden... reeks of superiority complex.
Let it go, Fred, it isn't worth the energy. It reminds me of endless discussions with the ex-Mrs. mm2...sometimes you just turn and walk away....even if for your own sense of peace.

The OP asked a question based on his physical limitations in post #17 (e.g. neck and lower back injuries) and that has been abundantly answered. Any other positions or discussions are ancillary to his particular and sole issues and his remedy.

Enjoy and be safe, Hank
Sounds like your the one with the complex Fred.

What a great out pouring of information! I appreciate all who have contributed to my knowledge and understanding of the options that are out there for optimizing my enjoyment of my bike. This is the first MC that I have owned that has the capability to satisfy my occasional desire to wander far from home. To me being as comfortable and pain free as possible will make the experience the best that it can be for me.

Regards! all the best.
If this was an R6 or R1, I might agree with you. But this bike was made to ride all day...weeks on end, and still carve up some twisty bits if you wish.

I have a Russel seat, and I can now go day after day whether to Maine or British Columbia...it don't matter. I also like me some twisties as well, I'm faster than some and slower than others. The seat does not hinder me in the twisties as I thought it might.

I'm 74" tall, 250+ lbs, 32" inseam.

Regardless of riding style, my "hinder parts" suffered monkey butt after 200 miles. Of course I don't have the "improved" Gen II but I couldn't stand the pain. It would have been a "deal breaker" to me if I couldn't improve my comfort level on this platform.

I've tried the beads, I've used a sheepskin pad (which really did help immensely by spreading our the load on my fanny/seat interface pressure points).

There are those who will recommend many different solutions. I am a "Master Yoda" subscriber and have been known to ride a rather spirited pace through mountain roads. I am NOT a professional rider, certified instructor/rider counselor-coach or even an accomplished sport bike rider but still enjoy the sporty side of this machine and have been know to enjoy sliding my butt out of the pocket of my Day Long saddle while making "haste" and removing "chicken strips".

Once you described your injuries and current physical conditions, your options became limited.

Call Russell, explain your "inseam challenged" state. They are able to make their seat narrower at the front so you can slide forward and get your feet on the ground. This would be a major reason to make a "Ride In" appointment so you can test-sit your seat as they build it and they can modify it with you present to try it. They may suggest other options but if you end up with a Russell Day long, you'll be happy, your buttocks will thank you and your wife may even ride with you more often.

Good luck on your continued journey into Motorcycle Riding Nirvana.
I called russell about a day long and explained that i had an inseam of 28-29 inches and i was tiptoe with the stock seat. I asked them what they could do for me. Reply was to expect the seat to be raised 1.5 to 2 inches from stock. That was the end of that conversation.

Greygoose

I called russell about a day long and explained that i had an inseam of 28-29 inches and i was tiptoe with the stock seat. I asked them what they could do for me. Reply was to expect the seat to be raised 1.5 to 2 inches from stock. That was the end of that conversation.
Greygoose
I had heard the same about them. Unfortunately, that took Russell off my list. 27" inseam here, and 1-2 inches is not going to work without lowering the bike - and I have zero desire to do that.

Believe it has to do with their sprung design, but I could be wrong.

Regards! all the best.
If you are one of the fortunate people able to ride all day with the stock FJR bars and seat, with no discomfort at all, hooray for you. Many cannot, Yoda or no. Yoda helps, but is not the complete answer. Whether or not the stock seat and bars are okay for any individual is totally dependent on how they ride and their own personal ergonomic needs. Russel seats have no more "plush" than stock seats. They are custom made for the individual to properly distribute a persons weight across the width of the seat. Have a look at how Iron Butt riders change their bikes. How many of them ride bone stock seats and bars? I don't know your age, but you spout off like someone in their 20's. I could tolerate the monkey butt on long rides when I was younger. Hell, we had to, there just weren't options out there. Now there are options and I choose not to put up with the discomfort of "one size fits all" ergonomics.

And regards and all the best back at ya.