Replacing my hour long stock seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ergos, 215 lbs, 6', 32" inseam. I've tried a Corbin, good shape, low, just too hard. Sargent was decent, a bit softer than the Corbin, but not enough support. Gel pads and sheepskins helped only slightly, anything thicker on top just makes it worse. You need firm support in the thigh area. I now have a custom seat, similar to a Mayer style (not sure who exactly made it), I'm guessing similar shape to the Corbin only a bit wider and softer foam. I just got back from a 3 day 1500 mile trip to the twisties of Ohio. I can sit on it for 2 hrs., and start getting a little numb bum. I need a bit of a break then can get back on for another two. Good seat, just not quite right for me.

I've been lucky to buy all these used from members here, but I'm going with a Russell on the next group buy.

I called russell about a day long and explained that i had an inseam of 28-29 inches and i was tiptoe with the stock seat. I asked them what they could do for me. Reply was to expect the seat to be raised 1.5 to 2 inches from stock. That was the end of that conversation.
Greygoose
Believe it has to do with their sprung design, but I could be wrong.
You are correct....

GreyGoose

If you are one of the fortunate people able to ride all day with the stock FJR bars and seat, with no discomfort at all, hooray for you. Many cannot, Yoda or no. Yoda helps, but is not the complete answer. Whether or not the stock seat and bars are okay for any individual is totally dependent on how they ride and their own personal ergonomic needs. Russel seats have no more "plush" than stock seats. They are custom made for the individual to properly distribute a persons weight across the width of the seat. Have a look at how Iron Butt riders change their bikes. How many of them ride bone stock seats and bars? I don't know your age, but you spout off like someone in their 20's. I could tolerate the monkey butt on long rides when I was younger. Hell, we had to, there just weren't options out there. Now there are options and I choose not to put up with the discomfort of "one size fits all" ergonomics.
And regards and all the best back at ya.

"Spout off" eh, whateva you say Pops!! lol

Got u beat man, gonna be 60 years old in 1.5 yrs. So there ;)

And what I would say is this... many many many riders don't even know / and or have never tried riding in the Yoda (aka sit up and beg) position. I find riding like that absolutely incredible, because the bike is soooooo responsive to every input. It's what keeps me riding, and young at heart.

To try to describe it from the perspective you mention above: no, it's not possible to ride like that with no discomfort at all, not for a great distance anyway. But the discomfort is a different one. It's your legs and stomach muscles that are holding your leaned forward chest and head, up. Your legs tire, not your butt (with this style, you could almost ride without your butt touching the seat, literally).

But because you are bent at the elbows, with no weight on your wrists, that's where the "responsiveness" comes from. The balls of your feet are now on the pegs. Lower back arched in and chest out and back. Yeah, speed and wind helps to hold you up (gives some relief to the leg muscles).

You of course make adjustments during long trips. Maybe have one foot ball on the peg and the other slid forward, giving that leg a break. You sometimes straighten your arms and rest your legs. But not too long or you start getting numbness in your hands (we've all experienced that).

But after awhile (and you don't learn this technique overnight, it takes some some practice), your legs strengthen up, your back muscles become stronger. Your enjoyment really changes a LOT :)

I've ridden a vfr and an st1300 500 miles from panama city beach ("Most Oily Beaches In The World!! - thank you BP!!) florida, to deals gap, and then enjoyed the hell out of the roads in that area. Camped at two wheels only and had a blast. Then rode the 500 back. No mods to either bike. Well there were risers on the vfr, by the prior owner, first day I owned it I took them off.

So if you haven't tried and are still in decent shape (me 5'8" and 160 - it's a stretch to the grips, not long and gangley here), give it a go, you may discover an almost whole different experience. It's an aggressive "where's the next corner?" type of a ride, in a somewhat relaxed way ;)

enjoy and regards - be safe,

So, while we are on the topic of UPGRADING stock seats... Although the Russel has a great reputation, obviously it might not be for everyone. Personally I shudder at the thought of spending that kind of dime on a seat. (Heck, I've spent hours on an oak bar stool and never felt a thing.........) I am also vertically challenged, so the idea of going up 1-2 inches is not appealing. On Corbins, I have one on my Concours and wouldn't trade my stock fj seat for it.....too hard. My biggest issue with the stock is that apparently my ass is too small...(ha ha ha). Seriously though, the 'dish' seems to be too far aft, and yes, I have tried to ride back there, but it just doesn't work. Soooo, is there a compromise? something that might not be a 'Russel", but would at least be a definate improvement? Seargent? Saddleman?

I hear nothing but good things about the Russells but with a 26" inseam, you might wish you'd gone a different route. From what I understand the Russell raises your seat height about an inch to inch and a half. Personally, I can't recommend the Bill Mayer seats highly enough. If you can make the trip down to Ojai for a ride-in custom job you won't be sorry. Check out the post I made in the Vendor feedback area of the forum fro a little more info.

I just returned from a trip to San Francisco on my Bill Mayer seat. I only stopped for fuel at 230 miles between stops. If they can make me comfortable then they can fit anyone. I can sit through a movie with my ass going to sleep in the big lazy boy recliners the new theaters have but I can sit all day on my BMS seat. What ever seat you get I recommend a ride in so it is just how you want it. I can tell you that the people at Bill Mayer will treat you right.

If you are one of the fortunate people able to ride all day with the stock FJR bars and seat, with no discomfort at all, hooray for you. Many cannot, Yoda or no. Yoda helps, but is not the complete answer. Whether or not the stock seat and bars are okay for any individual is totally dependent on how they ride and their own personal ergonomic needs. Russel seats have no more "plush" than stock seats. They are custom made for the individual to properly distribute a persons weight across the width of the seat. Have a look at how Iron Butt riders change their bikes. How many of them ride bone stock seats and bars? I don't know your age, but you spout off like someone in their 20's. I could tolerate the monkey butt on long rides when I was younger. Hell, we had to, there just weren't options out there. Now there are options and I choose not to put up with the discomfort of "one size fits all" ergonomics.
And regards and all the best back at ya.

"Spout off" eh, whateva you say Pops!! lol

Got u beat man, gonna be 60 years old in 1.5 yrs. So there ;)

And what I would say is this... many many many riders don't even know / and or have never tried riding in the Yoda (aka sit up and beg) position. I find riding like that absolutely incredible, because the bike is soooooo responsive to every input. It's what keeps me riding, and young at heart.

To try to describe it from the perspective you mention above: no, it's not possible to ride like that with no discomfort at all, not for a great distance anyway. But the discomfort is a different one. It's your legs and stomach muscles that are holding your leaned forward chest and head, up. Your legs tire, not your butt (with this style, you could almost ride without your butt touching the seat, literally).

But because you are bent at the elbows, with no weight on your wrists, that's where the "responsiveness" comes from. The balls of your feet are now on the pegs. Lower back arched in and chest out and back. Yeah, speed and wind helps to hold you up (gives some relief to the leg muscles).

You of course make adjustments during long trips. Maybe have one foot ball on the peg and the other slid forward, giving that leg a break. You sometimes straighten your arms and rest your legs. But not too long or you start getting numbness in your hands (we've all experienced that).

But after awhile (and you don't learn this technique overnight, it takes some some practice), your legs strengthen up, your back muscles become stronger. Your enjoyment really changes a LOT :)

I've ridden a vfr and an st1300 500 miles from panama city beach ("Most Oily Beaches In The World!! - thank you BP!!) florida, to deals gap, and then enjoyed the hell out of the roads in that area. Camped at two wheels only and had a blast. Then rode the 500 back. No mods to either bike. Well there were risers on the vfr, by the prior owner, first day I owned it I took them off.

So if you haven't tried and are still in decent shape (me 5'8" and 160 - it's a stretch to the grips, not long and gangley here), give it a go, you may discover an almost whole different experience. It's an aggressive "where's the next corner?" type of a ride, in a somewhat relaxed way ;)

enjoy and regards - be safe,
Never said you were in your twenties, just that you sound like it. Kind of a know it all like a youngster would be. I know about the Yoda riding position and try to use it as much as possible. It is what I use when riding aggressively on the back-roads, but not so much just cruising. And I think it might be news to Iron Butt riders that they really don't need their Russel, Mayer, Rich, etc. custom seats. What a waste of money for them. If only they had spoken with you first.

So if you haven't tried and are still in decent shape (me 5'8" and 160 - it's a stretch to the grips, not long and gangley here),
Ah Ha! Therein lies the underlying difference: By modern American standards, you are a midget.

I'm 6'2" 215 lbs, w/ ~33" inseam and when put in a random lineup of fellow riders, I am not a particularly big guy. My point here is that most bike ergonomics are designed for a guy YOUR size. This probably because many Asian and Europeans tend to be smaller in stature like you. Also because if they designed bikes for guys my size (or bigger), guys like you would never fit. Is it any big wonder that you don't need bar risers? And at your height you probably wouldn't be able to flat foot the ground with a Russell saddle.

I'll bet that with my 1" Risers and Russell Seat I end up with very similar body angles as you have on the stock ones. Remember that a Russell seat rises your butt up from the pegs about an inch, which is a good thing since it increases my leg room to the pegs some. The risers then just buy me back that inch.

I also ride in a MYRP (which, incidentally, is NOT known as the "sit up and beg position", that is traditionally reserved for the cruiser or Goldwing riders who sit up straight up on their tailbones). Just because someone has a custom seat and/or risers doesn't mean they don't ride in a correct body position.

Last edited by a moderator: