Replacing the Gen II rear seat with a rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
Well, this is the third Spring and a little over two years that I have been making parts for various iterations of auxiliary tanks.

I have another thread about my auxiliary tank project and I'm working on what has turned into an annual update on that project.

This thread is about a tangent that I went down while trying to figure out a rigid mounting platform for the tank.

I'm wondering... and I'd like you to share your opinions on this: Would you be interested in a rack that would take the place of the rear seat?

Here's what I have so far. The front of the rack hooks a cross member on the rear sub frame. The rear is held down by the screws that go through the grab rail. Another piece goes on top of that stucture and follows the contours of the rear plastic.

DSC04511.jpg
--
DSC04512.JPG

DSC04513.JPG
--
DSC04514.JPG

DSC04517.JPG
--
DSC04091.JPG

There are still a few things to work out. The top plate may have holes in it to access the screws for the grab rail and I'm debating between fasteners and welding the pieces together.

kaitsdad has the right of first refusal on this prototype. I owe him bigtime for the help he's already been to me on this/these projects.

So... there it is my one thousandth post. I was hoping it was going to be the completion of one of the three different iterations of the auxiliary cell. :dntknw:

oh well I might still be able to get it finished by April 1st

Can you make it a storage compartment that accepts the Yamaha spare tumbler (to hold tools and emergency gear) with a platform on top with tie downs for a large bag?

If so, I'd definitely be interested.

I know that I'm asking for a lot, but if you don't ask...

Definite interest here, I've been trying to figure out how to best/securely mount one of those prefebed plastic fuel cells that you can buy at very reasonable prices.

Could you pls cross link your aux tank project thread with this thread for ease of access - thanks.

feeger, Part of the reason this little project of mine has taken so long is because I kept looking into different possibilities like the one you suggested. I actually spent quite a bit of time looking into a way to make this lockable with some storage underneath, but I had to put that idea on the back burner.

JamesK, I actually figured out the bends that would be needed to make a plate to cradle the JAZ cell. I also think I have the bands figured out that would be needed to strap down the JAZ cell. I'm going to send my drawings to a fabricator next week. I have to pay a minimum fee equal to one hour of press brake time. Since I'm paynig for the hour, I might as well get as many plates as they can cut and bend in that time.

If you view my member profile, there are links to some of my projects. Here's the link to auxiliary cell project: <Link>

edit: corrected copy-n-paste error

Last edited by a moderator:
feeger, Part of the reason this little project of mine has taken so long is because I kept looking into different possibilities like the one you suggested. I actually spent quite a bit of time looking into a way to make this lockable with some storage underneath, but I had to put that idea on the back burner....

If you view my member profile, there are links to some of my projects. Here's the link to auxiliary cell project: <Link>
Understood. I haven't seen ant of your projects before and was just answering your question:

Would you be interested in a rack that would take the place of the rear seat?
So, now that I've checked out some of your projects and understand where you're coming from, that looks like a secure way to secure a fuel cell (and some quality craftsmanship). I wish I had your skills. Good luck with the project.

I think this part of your reply was for JamesK:

feeger, I actually figured out the bends that would be needed to make a plate to cradle the JAZ cell. I also think I have the bands figured out that would be needed to strap down the JAZ cell. I'm going to send my drawings to a fabricator next week. I have to pay a minimum fee equal to one hour of press brake time. Since I'm paynig for the hour, I might as well get as many plates as they can cut and bend in that time.

... that looks like a secure way to secure a fuel cell (and some quality craftsmanship). I wish I had your skills. Good luck with the project.
It started out that way, but it seemed to me that a rack that would replace the rear seat would useful for a couple of reasons. 1. If the rear seat is a custom seat, it could be left at home and out of the elements. 2. It would be easier to carry stuff when traveling without a passenger.

You may be right though. Something like a Corbin Smuggler that's more utilitarian would probably be a better design.

There is another possible use for these mounting plates. A few years ago some forum members paid for auxiliary tank mounting kits. They then bought the tanks separately. The mounting kits were never delivered. Even though I had nothing to do with that whole deal, I wished there was something I could do to help. I don't know if anyone still has one of those tanks and a need for a mounting plate, but this might work for them.

I'm not trying to open any old wounds and I hope no one else uses this topic to discuss the other matter.