Reserve Mileage on '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Just got back from a little jaunt to look at a new hangar. Reserve started flashing right in my driveway and stayed that way. (Was holding off buying gas so I could save 30 cents.) I had 43 miles to get to my destination over into more Illinois flatland. So I had some suburbia, some state highway, then about 25 miles of slab. I was being conservative, tying to max my mileage. Easy on the throttle, near the speed limits (25 to 65).

After reaching my destination (in 41 minutes), I went back to the gas station. I put in just a splash over 6 gallons and I went 45 miles.

So for those of you Nervous Nellys that are afraid of that LCD that gets all flashy when the gas gets gone, FEAR NOT! If you back off and conserve, you should be able to go 50 miles pretty easily under most open road (flatlands) conditions.

However, YMMV, and don't call me if you run out of gas. Or burn up your fuel pump. :lol:

I'm at 1300 miles and I keep pushing a bit more every tank. I'd agree, 50 seems to be the magic number. I had a half gallon in there still, which seems to be about the norm after... what, 6 fill ups?

Oh, and I calculated the other day that if I ride the FJR for 30 days, including insurance, I save $140 a month in gas compared to my SUV. This was using $3/gal as a reference and that number covers like 3/4 of my bike payment :)

I have over 3500 miles on my 06 now & after several fillups I have found out that if I fill up when the "reserve" starts to flash I can only take on 4.5 - 4.6 gallons. That means on an 06 with 6.6 gals capacity I still have 2 gallons of gas still left. I average about 39 miles per gallon so theoreticly I can search for a gas station for up to 78 miles. :clapping:

That is theoreticly... I haven't pushed it beyond 60 miles on reserve yet! B)

I'm at 1300 miles and I keep pushing a bit more every tank. I'd agree, 50 seems to be the magic number. I had a half gallon in there still, which seems to be about the norm after... what, 6 fill ups?
Oh, and I calculated the other day that if I ride the FJR for 30 days, including insurance, I save $140 a month in gas compared to my SUV. This was using $3/gal as a reference and that number covers like 3/4 of my bike payment :)
I have the exact OPPOSITE problem with the FJR! That is, it is costing me MORE in gas than the SUV! When I drive the SUV to work, it is 24 miles round trip from my house. When I ride the FJR, it is between 75 and 90 miles round trip from my house :yahoo: :yahoo: !

Best Regards,

Shane

I have over 3500 miles on my 06 now & after several fillups I have found out that if I fill up when the "reserve" starts to flash I can only take on 4.5 - 4.6 gallons. That means on an 06 with 6.6 gals capacity I still have 2 gallons of gas still left. I average about 39 miles per gallon so theoreticly I can search for a gas station for up to 78 miles. :clapping:
Yesterday, 2.5 hrs to Sarasota for ice cream! That's right 5 hrs round trip for ice cream!

Anyway pulling out of the ice cream shop, the reserve light is on and the S.O. gets nervous. Fill up right across the street , 4.1 gallons. Easy hundred miles left. :blink:

Well, this will be my first post to the group .. just got my 06 FJR1300A yesterday ... with 1 mile on it. I drove it home and today added more miles along with my 19 year old son as passenger ... total mileage at fill-up was 233 and it took 5.268 gals. Thinks that works out to just over 44 mpg .. and that is my very first tank. I was running the rpm's up and down and varying speeds as suggested .. and then 160 miles today varying speeds with the kids as passenger .. not to shabby!

Sonny

Tucson, AZ

94 BMW R100M 'Mystic'

06 Yamaha FJR1300A

The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire.
Thought I would just interject a little Thug wisdom....
Thanks for that, Axe! I agree.

Welcome Sonny!

I was on a mission. I was trying to time my ride from my house to the new hangar. Wanted to see what a normal drive time might be. And of course I couldn't stop and fill up along the way.... doing the math with that digital clock might just be too much for me (subtracting 3 minutes for a fill up or whatever). Anyway, I was a man on a mission, otherwise I would have filled up. Gas is typically cheaper on the Indiana side of the Illinois border, anyway. Gotta save that 30 cents, you know. As it was, cost me 90 cents more than if I filled up here!

One thing that I do notice is that the reserve "light" does seem to come on at different points for different riders. Perhaps it comes on under different circumstances on each bike, too. At any rate, what I was happy to confirm was that I could go a good 50 miles without worrying about it, if I take it easy.

I have the exact OPPOSITE problem with the FJR! That is, it is costing me MORE in gas than the SUV! When I drive the SUV to work, it is 24 miles round trip from my house. When I ride the FJR, it is between 75 and 90 miles round trip from my house :yahoo: :yahoo: !

Best Regards,

Shane
Me too Shane! That is the exact problem (?) I have: driving my truck to work is 34 miles round trip, but riding the FJR every day, my daily mileage is usually 50 to 80! I just hit 12k on my '05 in only about 8 riding months up here in northern MN. The problem :D lies in the fact that I love to head off to work in the morning but I hate actually getting to work in the morning! Likewise, when heading off to home at night. Take care, all.

Paul

Duluth, MN

Yesterday, 2.5 hrs to Sarasota for ice cream! That's right 5 hrs round trip for ice cream!

Anyway pulling out of the ice cream shop, the reserve light is on and the S.O. gets nervous. Fill up right across the street , 4.1 gallons. Easy hundred miles left. :blink:
Shit...no WONDER you drove 150 miles for ice cream.

Labelle...if planet Earth ever needed an enema, guess where the tube would go. :rofl:

My 06' reserve fuel level was also around 2 gallons. Filled it the other day after the last gauge segment started flashing; it took 4.3 gallons.

It's near the 700 mile mark and it has consistently turned in 47mpg.

Yep. Yesterday I had my first long trip home. 2.5 hours. 70MPH in 40MPH marked corners. Good times, good times!

Labelle...if planet Earth ever needed an enema, guess where the tube would go. :rofl:
I'm counting on you to spread the WORD. Tell this to everyone you meet. It's a snake pit, a rat hole, stay

away. Very, very far away. :dribble:

I'm counting on you to spread the WORD. Tell this to everyone you meet. It's a snake pit, a rat hole, stay

away. Very, very far away. :dribble:
Well, dammitt! Got my "Belles" confusticated.

I gotta apologize. I mixed up my South Florida communities. I was thinking of "The Haitian Triangle -- The AIDS Capital of the South", Pahokee, South Bay and that other Belle -- Belle Glade.

Sorry, Labelle...

Haven't visited you in a while...gonna haveta make a weekend of it. :)

I'm getting about 45 mpg around town. On long stretches of interstate highway (which I try to avoid), I've got up to 53 mpg. When I fill up at the "reserve" warning, I have just under two gallons left, which means I have between 90 and 100 miles of reserve. That's a hell of a "reserve." Some bikes don't get much more than that BEFORE they hit reserve.

Well, dammitt! Got my "Belles" confusticated.

I gotta apologize. I mixed up my South Florida communities. I was thinking of "The Haitian Triangle -- The AIDS Capital of the South", Pahokee, South Bay and that other Belle -- Belle Glade.

Sorry, Labelle...

Haven't visited you in a while...gonna haveta make a weekend of it. :)

Miserable sport bike roads, though. Everything straight and flat. Must be why everyone else rides HD. Thankfully the best m/c rode is SW Fla runs right past my house. It's only 15 milesor so,but it's all we've got.

Clewiston, Belle Glade, Pahokee any of those good for an enema, you could flush any one of the three with Lake Okeechobee.

Miserable sport bike roads, though. Everything straight and flat. Must be why everyone else rides HD. Thankfully the best m/c rode is SW Fla runs right past my house. It's only 15 milesor so,but it's all we've got.Clewiston, Belle Glade, Pahokee any of those good for an enema, you could flush any one of the three with Lake Okeechobee.
You gentlemen need to go a little futher north.

Miserable sport bike roads, though. Everything straight and flat. Must be why everyone else rides HD. Thankfully the best m/c rode is SW Fla runs right past my house. It's only 15 milesor so,but it's all we've got.

Clewiston, Belle Glade, Pahokee any of those good for an enema, you could flush any one of the three with Lake Okeechobee.
You gentlemen need to go a little futher north.
Ain't that the truth...'specially the roads around here:

linkPast1.jpg

I need some of their "hot" sausage. Wanna send me some?