Retirement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retirement only has one downside for me. When I was working, I used to really look forward to taking vacations from work...........I can't do that any more!
smile.png
You'll also notice that you don't get any statutory holidays either, and in fact, a lot of times you forget when they are......

How the F##k can I retire? I spend all my time lurking around this FORUM trying to keep all you blokes in check. There is to much good reading around here for any of us to truly retire.

My good wife and I own our home, this is GOOD. We are trying to put more away into superannuation, hope this helps.

Retirement only has one downside for me. When I was working, I used to really look forward to taking vacations from work...........I can't do that any more!
smile.png
You'll also notice that you don't get any statutory holidays either, and in fact, a lot of times you forget when they are......
I've only been retired 24 days, and I'm already losing track of time. I told my wife Saturday that I needed to run by the Kawasaki shop but they wouldn't be open again 'til Tuesday. She said "They're not open today?" "No", I said, "not on Sunday." She had to convince me it was Saturday
fool.gif

All your retired folks, BITE ME!

35+ years with the company, maybe 2 more years to go, aiming for 60...

Just waiting for the SuperNanny State to lower the boom and see what happens.....

Uncertainy is like work, it sucks.

FWFE

really deep down, I am tickled you folks are enjoying retirement, I soooooo want to join you!

smile.png
Upside: We just had that "spring forward" thing. I used to resent it, 'cuz that weekend was only 47 hours long. Now it doesn't bother me! :lol:

Downside: I got called to jury duty a while back. That used to be kind of a vacation from work. Now it cuts into my leisure time.
angry01.gif

I can't kick. I tell people I've finally found my calling in life: RETIREMENT!
yippee.gif

When I retired 7+ years ago, I had about 6 months of projects lined up (home improvements, motorcycle restorations, etc). Today I have about 8 months of projects lined up, it never quits, and I have had no inclination to go back to work ever again. I don't understand how I worked (or showed up at work) 40+ hours a week, I could neverf do it again. Have been on 4 nice motorcycle trips with the grandchildren covering about 20,000 miles (total) and am planning another for this summer with the middle grandson right now, might be able to have the son go with us this time. My advise is to retire as soon as you can, you never know when the expiration date is.........

Friday is my last day at work after 25 years of active duty Air Force. I have enjoyed every minute (looking back). I will stay retired for two months and then it's back to work for me.

Friday is my last day at work after 25 years of active duty Air Force. I have enjoyed every minute (looking back). I will stay retired for two months and then it's back to work for me.
A large thank you for your service.

kup1236

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with KAMAL, dept free is definately the hot tip. House and toys are all paid for. I suffered(spent less and saved) thru the late 80s and 90s living very low key then retired in 09. One year, 9 months and 4 days till I collect my SS.

Yeh baby! Part time job?

I'm so busy now I don't know how I ever had time to work. It's a quality of life issue for me.

I retired last May after working 35 years in the Natural Resource field for two state Wildlife Management agencies. Retired to Salmon, ID where my wife has a great job. I go motorcycle riding, fishing and hunting, and it keeps me real busy. Yep, sometimes she tries to find me work, but I'm too busy hunting and fishing for steelhead.

Retired in 08 from the local nuke plant and about 2 months later picked up a contract job at another nuke plant that lasted about a year. The contract job paid great but the driving to and from Port Elgin and back every weekend started to wear on me. There was also the frustration of working with American contractors so I ended up quitting on Canada Day 2009.
I had my wonky knee replaced that fall and I can't get back into work in the nuke plant anymore since the parts in my knee won't let me get past the metal detectors at the gate. The mall cops they use for security think I'm now a member of the Taliban since I set off the detector and would probably shoot me so I stay home instead.

I do some volunteer driving for the senior center and in between the FJR, the WR and the bicycle I don't have any time to sell off to some employer.

Retired on a Friday and went to work full time the following Monday.
rolleyes.gif

Five years and one month later retired for good, that was 5 1/2 years ago. Too many things to do to work!! WORK is a four letter word.
punk.gif

...Did you have the 8 to 12 years salary saved as the "Experts" reccomend?...
I am so screwed.

I guess I will just work to support my FJR habit, and move down south so I can ride good roads every weekend as I mourn the lack of retirement.

PS. What's a "Honey Do" list?

wink.png

I retired last year at 62 when the numbers said I'd have the same money retired as I did working. Easy choice since I didn't particularly like my job. 1st thing was purchase a house in the NC mountains where I've always wanted to be. Love it. If I take on a job it'll probably be a volunteerish thing to help the community or some such drivel.
I think the volunteering work you do for this community(routing FJRs through squiggly mountain roads) is not drivel at all. Keep up the great work!
punk.gif

I retired 6 years ago at 61 and was lucky to like my job, but don't miss it. Our investments came out much better than expected, so we should have retired sooner. I did another trip to AK, two more to the Alps, along with being lazy, fostering kittens from the humane society and flying. My wife and I have different interests and probably get along great because of it. Plan to head out west this summer by myself for some good mountain riding and camping.

I retired 6 years ago at 61 and was lucky to like my job, but don't miss it. Our investments came out much better than expected, so we should have retired sooner.
For those of you that retired before 65, what are you doing for medical coverage? Previous company, purchasing outright or something else?

--G

Paying for it as part of the retirement package. It's not free but you can opt to take it as you leave. If you opt out or for a lower level coverage, you can't pick it up later (or pick a better option package). You can step down to lower tiers or drop it later. You just can't move "up" the tiers.

Since my wife is only 61, I've stayed with the retiree group insurance policy available from my last job for her health insurance and my medicare advantage plan. We pay about $800 mo. plus approx. $100 off my SS for medicare. It's a lot of $'s, but can't be without it good coverage. When she turns 65, I will look elsewhere and hopefully save a few bucks.

I love this thread! As a LEO I can retire in 3 1/2 years, not sure I will as I'll only be 47. I may hang around for a bit, but it'll be nice to know I can leave when I want. We can continue our insurance through the county but of course at a price. The idea of getting a part time gig at a bike shop sounds like fun.....hmm as long as they don't expect me to work any set hours or days or.....on second thought maybe I'll just let the wife keep me up as I'll be on a fixed income!