Retiring and Moving to Spokane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you north, south, east or west of town? I've got friends that live near Cheney, others in Liberty Lake and some out North of Division st. All good areas, different escape routes for each.

Are you north, south, east or west of town? I've got friends that live near Cheney, others in Liberty Lake and some out North of Division st. All good areas, different escape routes for each.
We will be in the Eagle Ridge development about 5 miles south of town. Nice location close to downtown. Hwy 195 leads to Pullman where Linda will love to go to relive her "WSU" days.

Congrats on the new house and good luck on the VLO. No guarantee they'll offer it again, but my wife had it offered twice. My wife put 37 years in at the "Kite company" and just took the VLO at the end of May. We had planned on her retiring a year later, but with the possibility of an actual layoff without the 6 months of pay we decided to go for it. Essentially she's retiring 6 months early, considering the 6 months of pay upfront (that paid off the mortgage and greatly reduced our monthly costs). I'll need to keep working a little longer to support her in the lifestyle she's accustomed to. :)

Spokane seems to be a popular retirement destination for Lazy B employees. The wife knows numerous co-workers that have headed that way and we might some day also. I wouldn't mind moving out into the sticks outside of Tonasket where I already own half a 40 acre parcel with a friend that owns 290 adjoining acres, but the wife has vetoed that plan due to the desire to be near hospitals and airport. Spokane has both of those and you don't have to go too far out of town to get a big piece of land that's affordable. Maybe we'll join you in a couple years after we get completely fed up with the horrendous traffic around here (I intentionally start work at 5am to avoid morning traffic, but can tell you that Hwy 167 is FULL of cars at 4:30am and occasionally we come to a complete stop! At 4:30 in the morning!)

Congrats on the new house and good luck on the VLO. No guarantee they'll offer it again, but my wife had it offered twice. My wife put 37 years in at the "Kite company" and just took the VLO at the end of May. We had planned on her retiring a year later, but with the possibility of an actual layoff without the 6 months of pay we decided to go for it. Essentially she's retiring 6 months early, considering the 6 months of pay upfront (that paid off the mortgage and greatly reduced our monthly costs). I'll need to keep working a little longer to support her in the lifestyle she's accustomed to.
smile.png

Spokane seems to be a popular retirement destination for Lazy B employees. The wife knows numerous co-workers that have headed that way and we might some day also. I wouldn't mind moving out into the sticks outside of Tonasket where I already own half a 40 acre parcel with a friend that owns 290 adjoining acres, but the wife has vetoed that plan due to the desire to be near hospitals and airport. Spokane has both of those and you don't have to go too far out of town to get a big piece of land that's affordable. Maybe we'll join you in a couple years after we get completely fed up with the horrendous traffic around here (I intentionally start work at 5am to avoid morning traffic, but can tell you that Hwy 167 is FULL of cars at 4:30am and occasionally we come to a complete stop! At 4:30 in the morning!)
+1 - ran outta likes today. Thanks for the well wishes. I was born and raised in Renton overlooking the Boeing Renton plant. When I was a child I would watch the 727 coal burners take off over Lake Washington. My Dad was a life time Boeing employee and so am I with 38 years.

Being near good medical facilities as we age is a good idea. I am a bit of a hockey fan having attended a few Seattle Thunderbird games. I will attend a few Spokane Chief game while wearing my T-birds shirt. Go Birds. I will attend some of the Spokane Indian baseball games.

It is entertainment I can afford.

Hwy 167 is brutal and getting much worse. People I work with are taking the Sounder Commuter train cause the traffic is so bad. My wife got a haircut in Bellevue on a weekday recently. She left Bellevue to drive to home just southeast of Renton, a distance of 15 miles, and it took 1.5 hours. Enough!

Spokane is the smaller town that lives big. The pace is noticeably slower over and people are quick to smile. Go Cougs! (hey when in Rome do at the Romans.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the retirement and the move. Wish I could quit working but I get to quit when they throw dirt in my face.
uhoh.gif

Yer gonna f'n like this place. I've been here since 89. It is a big, small town and escape is just about 20 minutes away in just about any direction and you are outta town and on the twisties.

Congrats Jim. I have been to Spokane, and enjoyed staying at the historic Davenport.

Found a couple of good places to eat also. Downtown area is all right. Brunch at the Davenport was awesome.

Enjoy your retirement anticipation and retirement!!

(I intentionally start work at 5am to avoid morning traffic, but can tell you that Hwy 167 is FULL of cars at 4:30am and occasionally we come to a complete stop! At 4:30 in the morning!)

People are commuting at 4:30 am? Man, that's F'd up.

(I intentionally start work at 5am to avoid morning traffic, but can tell you that Hwy 167 is FULL of cars at 4:30am and occasionally we come to a complete stop! At 4:30 in the morning!)

People are commuting at 4:30 am? Man, that's F'd up.
No it is Seattle.

I start work at 5am just south of the Seattle Airport. I-5 is full of cars at 4:30am just like Hwy 167. I recently moved from Puyallup to North Tacoma. Takes the same amount of time to get to work. I have at least 15 years to go before I can retire...sigh. Enjoy, Jim!

I start work at 5am just south of the Seattle Airport. I-5 is full of cars at 4:30am just like Hwy 167. I recently moved from Puyallup to North Tacoma. Takes the same amount of time to get to work. I have at least 15 years to go before I can retire...sigh. Enjoy, Jim!
+ 1. I will and thank you. For you poor folks commuting many a miles here is an interesting article in the Seattle Times.

I am fine we have turned this little post into a discussion on Seattle traffic after all as motorcycle enthusiast it is an important issue to us. Where I live near Maple Valley you can take advantage of the reverse commute to get out of town weekday morning - options are limited - just don't go north. Come home after a day ride on a weekday is another matter - it just flat sucks.

The wife and I spent a short time in Spokane. It is hard to put into words. We just like the vibe. There are old historical buildings in downtown Spokane - they look cool - don't have that in Seattle cause a few earthquakes took out the brick buildings. I don't need to worry about the BIG one leaving us in financial ruin. Less traffic, people visibly less stressed, mostly nice weather, certainly less rain, good medical facilities, art, recreation and entertainment opportunities, we can travel more and we get a new house (aka no major expenses for a few years). What's not to like?

I hope the wife wants to go to Venice. The song Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower was inspired by the famous Ponte de Sospiri bridge in Venice, also known as the "Bridge of Sighs." At the bridge I play the song at high volume and remember my life's journey and how lucky I have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Jim, will be joining you next March in retirement! For now we will stay on our five acres up in the Stanwood area.

We are down in the Newport Or. area and I can't believe how bad the traffic is here. Yesterday we were following friends up to Lincoln City but turned aroun be for Depot Bay as the traffic was stopped.

I really wonder if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?

Being retired changes your traffic perspective somewhat, you get to pick and choose a lot more unless it is an appointment with a working person. I do not do any big trips around the pnw while school is out. I was waiting for the Panman to chime in I knew he was close to retiring. You guys will enjoy it no matter what.

Congrats!! Lots of good riding around there. The palouse, St. Joe River Road, Flowery Trail Road, etc, etc. Sounds like a great place to retire too. :)

I hosted WeSTOC in Spokane Valley in 2015. The Mirabeau Park Hotel is a GREAT motorcycle friendly place to hold a rally!! Nice rooms and great banquet food....

2015-08-24-at-08-15-36.jpg

2015-08-23-at-22-46-46.jpg

2015-08-24-at-06-11-15.jpg

westoc-1-53_zpss1un7wtt.jpg

westoc-1-60_zpsvovakoeq.jpg

Doin a 230 mile ride sunday. Spokaloo to Rockford for breakfast. St Maries, Emida and thru the St Joe Nat Forest, down to palouse and back up thru tekoe, fairfiel, etc.

Excellent combo of scenery and twisties, mountains and sweepers, flat out blasting as fast as you can go with a look ahead for a 1/2 mile if you need to pass. Then into the farm country of the Palouse. Imagine rolling hills with a black ribbon runnin thru. You blast thru the valleys and pull up the hill as fast as you can and then realize that you don't know which way the road goes over the hill. I'm pretty sure the hiway was built along an old horse trail.

If you see a 20mph curve sign, pay attention. If you see a 15mph sign, slow the **** down or you might end up over a cliff.

Bruce

Well I didn't make it to January. I retired this week. Why?

I was the only person who did what I did. I had a lot of pride in the work having done it for 25 of my 38 years at Boeing. I had dreams of transferring this work successfully, wanted to leave a legacy and something for the next person(s) to build on.

Recently it became clear this was never going to happen as Management was not interested in supporting a successful hand off. It was hard to see my life's work disrespected. I was hard to accept Management saying you do great work (and I did) and hear them saying we appreciate you, but clearly the words were cheap and had no value. So staying at work became emotionally corrosive to my soul.

So with the help of my family, encouragement from my son, encouragement from my wife who will continue working until we move to Spokane, I decided retire.