Review of 03 GSXR 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
Some time back I started a thread to find out what people thought of the riding position and comfort of a pure sport bike. As I knew many people who thought it was very comfortable I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Well, now that I have put about 1000 miles on the Gixxer I figured I would give my impressions.

The riding position I actually find fairly comfortable. The stock seat actually has never gotten as uncomfortable for me as the stock fjr seat did and I can ride it to and from work without ever thinking of my bum, a good thing.

However, the stock grips are way to small for me. I have some fatter ones on order that I got to help with me having to wrap my hand so far around just to get hold of the throttle. It contributes to me keeping a death grip on it which I constantly have to remind myself to let go. With a fatter grip I feel my hand will naturally just be able to take hold without much of a grip. Fatter grips helped me on the fjr as well.

Now as far as leaning on the handlebars go. No one can put their weight on their hands for any amount of time and be comfortable. The sport bikes require you to use your legs to grip the tank and keep your stomach and hips tight to support your upper body. If you can keep this position the weight on your hands is nothing and is very comfortable but you do have to be conscious of it.

Your neck position is another to keep in mind. You can't try and keep your head straight up as it will cause upper back pain. If you can keep your head just in line with the angle of your torso and just use your eyes to look up it is very comfortable but keep it here don't forget or your back will hurt.

All and all I actually find for me the sport bike position comfortable and with these few things in mind it works very well. Now on to the performance.

I find that the 1000 accellerates like a rocket ship and you really have to hold on. I use my clutch hand to just hold on and have found that it is easier on upshifting to just keep hold of the bars and no clutch when shifting when getting spirited.

However on a normal day of highway riding I probably go slower on the gixxer than the fjr just because of less wind protection. 100 on the fjr was pure joy as 90 on the gixxer is work I couldn't keep it up nearly as long as comfortable.

Last night on a back country straight road I finally got it up to about 130mph extremely fast with at least 2 gears left and no where near red line in the gear I was in. It happened so fast and when I slowed down my entire shield was covered with dead bugs, couldn't see worth crap but the accelleration was awesome.

Handling and braking well, I am a chicken when it comes to corners but I am learning to trust the bike more. It brakes very well but the handling is awesome, I like it alot.

I really enjoyed the fjr but since I am no long distance guy this bike suits me very well. A great bike and a lot of fun...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear Sparky... wish I had the Jack for multiple bikes... I'd definitely like to add a sportbike to complement the FJR...

I'd definitely like to add a sportbike to complement the FJR...
Don't go there, that's already covered in another thread.
A buddy at work brought by his brand new GSXR1 yesterday. It's the first bike he's owned. He was even sporting some fresh gear (non-safety, except for the helmet, and another one strapped to the rear seat for his GF). I'm scared for him/them. I wouldn't even feel comfortable on that thing. IMO, for 98% of all riders, a 600cc sportbike is enough. C'mon, 150 RWHP and 400lbs! Crikey!

This coming from the guy who was gonna drop the FJR like a hot potato the minute a sport-tourer came out that would hit 200 MPH???? :huh:

A buddy at work brought by his brand new GSXR1 yesterday. It's the first bike he's owned. He was even sporting some fresh gear (non-safety, except for the helmet, and another one strapped to the rear seat for his GF). I'm scared for him/them. I wouldn't even feel comfortable on that thing. IMO, for 98% of all riders, a 600cc sportbike is enough. C'mon, 150 RWHP and 400lbs! Crikey!
Yep, First gear stock gearing 90mph, don't even need the rest :D

I thought better of you toecutter, but oh well.

When I was thinking of getting this bike I really didn't know what to expect and many of my friends who are better riders than me had me a little scared.

On the street it is really hard to be in the powerband of this monster. Doing 70 in 3rd I am still way below its true powerband. While it will accellerate very well from this point I find I can controll it very well.

Now if I was on a race track constantly in the powerband in a turn yes the small movement of the throttle would scare me to death.

It is all in how you ride it and I don't ride it like a crazy man.

The 1000 cc is nice on the highway as in 6th gear doing 70 I am in the mid 5', on a 600 I know I would get tired of the high RPM's.

On one of the other threads I posted a cornering review which included a liter bike and a 600. The liter bike riders actually comment on how you can be in a higher gear, still have plenty of accelleration and be controlled. Ridden a certain way it is very tameable...

cornering comparison

Here check this out toecutter, you might enjoy the read...

This coming from the guy who was gonna drop the FJR like a hot potato the minute a sport-tourer came out that would hit 200 MPH???? :huh:
I understand his concern for a new rider. It is a hard subject and something that can't easily be explained to new riders. I find with this bike you really can't relax too much even in 6th gear at highway speeds. A small twitch of the throttle and it moves. Your mind has to constantly be on the task at hand...

Thanks for write up- always like to read about the ride experience of a go-fast bike and it's practicality on daily basis. I sees smitty jumps back to this side of fence-Gsxr comes and goes. I'll have to be content watching Isle of Man TT, and sickle mags- Would like to ride one for a day. Wish FJR was a bit quicker and lighter. It just runs flat- fast, yes but in a word flat When air temps. drop to 50 the extra zip is there. PC3 install hasn't fixed this. But can't beat this machine for long distance fun. Also have motocross history. No escaping injury racing MX I know. Happiness is- Having your hands on a crisp running 250cc.

Now if I was on a race track constantly in the powerband in a turn yes the small movement of the throttle would scare me to death.

Was always surprising to see which bikes went down at a open trackday....mainly your 1000cc bikes with a crazy Canadian that couldn't fend off a highside :D (due obviously to throttle input) Always broke my heart when a truck would come into the pits with a once pristine Duc 916 in it.

Seems that there was at least one new liter bike a track day that went home needing cosmetic or major surgery.

Cheers,

Bryce

Thanks for write up- always like to read about the ride experience of a go-fast bike and it's practicality on daily basis. I sees smitty jumps back to this side of fence-Gsxr comes and goes. .
The gixxer is a great bike, I wish I could have both... The FJR is a better ride for me, along with just enough speed and horsepower to get my blood flowing / or get me in trouble...

I am glad your having fun on your new mount Sparky, the FJR is doing well.. Smitty

Your opinion is wrong. :p

If I wanted to wind up a 600cc sportbike all day that's what I would have purchased. But I wanted some torque. :yahoo:

Can't say about the 03 but the 06 GSX-R1000 is not hard to ride BTW. But one could **** it up pretty quick if they were daydreaming. So don't daydream. It's that simple.

-r

gixxers are great bikes had a few just got a 06 750 best sport bike out there imo right out of the box this thing rocks ridden plenty of liter bikes fact is 90 percent of people cant ride them to 50 percent of there potential and when they try pushing it they get into trouble if they dont get hurt they get a huge repair bill for all the bits that self destruct most 600s will out accell most hi pro cars not much wrong with that resons people need liter or bigger bikes isnt cause they need the proformance its more to do with being cool impressing people and maybe making up for other short comings give me a 600 a twisty road and see you later a busa or zx14 or liter bikes wouldnt stand a chance for the 90 percent of people that ride them really sport bikes are uncomfortable impractical really dont make much sence except they are so much fun handling is incredible point and shoot cornering hard to understand when people buy these bikes they spend thousands on after market pipes suspention ect the new 06 750s suspention is so far more capable than me i cant understand why you would slap down a lot of money on a sport bike and start up grading it it just isnt neccasary you would think it a harley i got in on the wilbers group buy that made sence the stock set up wasnt good to begin with and got worse quickly that was a super good upgrade made the bike much more enjoyable(by the way thanks warchild for putting that together)the new sport bikes lay over so far in corners instill so much confidence out of the box its crazy im sure many of you have the bad gene like me try telling me its not a good first bike makes me want one more but im so glad i started out on small cc bikes and harleys cause without very very good throttle controle these things are deadly if you think these things are good first bikes tell me how many of you have taken your 16 or 17 year old son down to the dealer sat him on a liter bike and felt like a good dad YEA RIGHT

gixxers are great bikes had a few just got a 06 750 best sport bike out there imo right out of the box this thing rocks ridden plenty of liter bikes fact is 90 percent of people cant ride them to 50 percent of there potential and when they try pushing it they get into trouble if they dont get hurt they get a huge repair bill for all the bits that self destruct most 600s will out accell most hi pro cars not much wrong with that resons people need liter or bigger bikes isnt cause they need the proformance its more to do with being cool impressing people and maybe making up for other short comings give me a 600 a twisty road and see you later a busa or zx14 or liter bikes wouldnt stand a chance for the 90 percent of people that ride them really sport bikes are uncomfortable impractical really dont make much sence except they are so much fun handling is incredible point and shoot cornering hard to understand when people buy these bikes they spend thousands on after market pipes suspention ect the new 06 750s suspention is so far more capable than me i cant understand why you would slap down a lot of money on a sport bike and start up grading it it just isnt neccasary you would think it a harley i got in on the wilbers group buy that made sence the stock set up wasnt good to begin with and got worse quickly that was a super good upgrade made the bike much more enjoyable(by the way thanks warchild for putting that together)the new sport bikes lay over so far in corners instill so much confidence out of the box its crazy im sure many of you have the bad gene like me try telling me its not a good first bike makes me want one more but im so glad i started out on small cc bikes and harleys cause without very very good throttle controle these things are deadly if you think these things are good first bikes tell me how many of you have taken your 16 or 17 year old son down to the dealer sat him on a liter bike and felt like a good dad YEA RIGHT
Is that all one sentence?

yep dude needs to add punctuation cause it's really hard to read at least throw some periods in there somewhere for the luv of god

that's right. was best in my class back in the day. :D
FJRchick's graduating class...

Lillie%20Bryant%20and%20classmates,%20taken%20about%201888.jpg