Rick Mayer vs. Bill Mayer vs. Russell vs. Rich's custom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to do a Russell, go with leather. I have an all leather on my FJR and a vinyl on my V-strom. The vinyl is not as comfortable on a hot day and you'll eventually get swamp ass (wich we all know leads to monkey butt). On the V-strom I was looking for the maintenance free aspect of just hosing it off after playing in the mud, but honestly the leather is just as easy. The price difference will mean nothing after you have ridden a hundred thousand miles in total comfort
I agree to a point. Get leather on the top and vinyl on the sides. This allows for better movement on the sides and vinyl holds it shape better than leather at stress points.

I am also 5'9" and have my Russel in the high position. This will make you slide forward on stops to get your left foot flat. However on the road it is heaven. Leather will show you this on the seat as a bit of wrinkles but no harm on the leather. I sealed mine with black polish and a horse hair brush. Then I lexol it for months before it needs polish again. On the side stand, in rain, water just runs off, I run my hand over it and ride.

As always been said you dont see it when you are on tour, 4 or 500 miles into the day.

I have had 3 Russels and tried to mind **** myself that a Corbin or Sargent might work. Wrong, they cannot hold a ass compared to a Russel.
Alright you guys convinced me, you're spending my money.

So I'm going to go with the Russell, Still on the fence between the material choice.

Am I right in saying that

Vinyl= least maintenance, best water-resistance, least comfortable on hot day due to sweat build-up

Velour= middle of the road on maintenance, most breathable, but must be covered for rain

Leather= most maintenance, probably most comfortable, probably as durable assuming the leather is treated.

Would it be correct for me to assume that for the best comfort and most long lasting seat I should go with leather, either inserts or all leather?

One vanity question, any opinions on color? I have the Maroon FJR, not sure what would be the best looking on it. If I go with leather inserts I'm thinking black sides with a medium gray top, otherwise I'm thinking black or dark gray.

This is the first time in my life I've set up a bike strictly for a comfortable ride. I started on Harley's in 2001, and used to just tough it out. Did some touring, meaning 400 or 500 a day, on a stock Sportster, lowered, no windshield, 2-up several times with my ex-wife. My sport-touring bike for a few years was a stock SV1000 with a tank bag. With the SV I just went for it and dealt with whatever happened. With the Sportster, and later on the Softail, I made the bike look good then rode it like it was a gold wing. It was fun showing up a few states over at old army friend's houses on a lowered softail with a springer front end and getting looked at like I was an idiot for riding that far. I have a road king now, but the FJR is getting called on more and more for touring duty. Even the road king looks nice, although I have the HD touring seat at least. There's nothing on it that could be considered a farkle.

Used to do a 1000-1500 mile 3 day weekend once a month, and normally a 700 to 1000 mile weekend every other time I could go. Since those days I managed to mess my shoulders up overseas, and now I can't ride the sport bikes as long anymore. The switch to the FJR helps my shoulders out a ton, but the seating position moved a lot of my weight to the seat. Apparantly my butt got soft over the last few years also, because I used to think that stock SV seat was awesome.

Would it be correct for me to assume that for the best comfort and most long lasting seat I should go with leather, either inserts or all leather?
One thing I didn't review was leather vs. vinyl. I did go with leather on my Mayer and liked it very much...it's still on my second FJR and has held up well for 6 years or so with an annual 5 minute treatment with Lexol. I ended up with a used Russell that was vinyl and it's fine....but part of me wishes I had it in leather. However, it's a small variable to me.

One thing I didn't review was leather vs. vinyl. I did go with leather on my Mayer and liked it very much...it's still on my second FJR and has held up well for 6 years or so with an annual 5 minute treatment with Lexol. I ended up with a used Russell that was vinyl and it's fine....but part of me wishes I had it in leather. However, it's a small variable to me.
Edit- I'm going to go with the vinyl. I'll probably never notice the difference while wearing proper gear, and when I wear jeans it can't be that big of a difference. I live in Ohio anyways, I stay out of the south in the summer.

Thanks for all of the help, it's nice knowing I'm talking to guys that have actually ridden tons of miles on these things rather than just talking to guys at bike shops that probably never went more than a hundred or so miles at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the leather soak in water differently than the vinyl, or last longer/shorter?
Neither is waterproof because the stiching makes holes and detailed in the Russell FAQ. I think they're similarly water resistant to foam underneath getting wet....or still working fine even if wet. I know riding through rain many times...including the non-stop 36 hour deluge that was Leg 1 of the 2007 Iron Butt Rally....the seat was not the weakest link in water resistance by a long shot. But, remember I'm one of those quirky LD riders that has introduced yellow cancer to his bike on purposes.....so appearances aren't as important to me as function. I do carry a seat cover, but haven't used it in years. Instead, I use a bike cover for mostly security reasons, but it also adds significant seat protection from the rain.

Don't know about their ultimate longevity because both are in great shape after about 6 and 3 years respectively and don't think I'll have to replace either for some time to come.

Does the leather soak in water differently than the vinyl, or last longer/shorter?
Neither is waterproof because the stiching makes holes and detailed in the Russell FAQ. I think they're similarly water resistant to foam underneath getting wet....or still working fine even if wet. I know riding through rain many times...including the non-stop 36 hour deluge that was Leg 1 of the 2007 Iron Butt Rally....the seat was not the weakest link in water resistance by a long shot. But, remember I'm one of those quirky LD riders that has introduced yellow cancer to his bike on purposes.....so appearances aren't as important to me as function. I do carry a seat cover, but haven't used it in years. Instead, I use a bike cover for mostly security reasons, but it also adds significant seat protection from the rain.

Don't know about their ultimate longevity because both are in great shape after about 6 and 3 years respectively and don't think I'll have to replace either for some time to come.
Sounds good to me.

I've read a lot of your blog since yesterday, looks like you've had some great times riding.

I've got the Rick Mayer saddle, and it beats the Corbin (the first after market that I bought!) by miles! And, it's great for my short legs (I'm 5'7"), again, lower (better) than the Corbin. I'd love to have a Russel, but I'd need some training wheels when I came to a stop.

I have to ask Russel owners, those that ride most *every* day, meaning off and on the bike most frequently.. any problems with seams blowing out on the right hand side where you slide your leg over?

I ask because I ride damn near 340 days a year, and go to lunch off the work site. So I'm on and off the saddle at least 4 times daily, and both Bill Mayer saddles have ripped the seam (fjr and dl650) on the RHS, the feejer leather and the DL vinyl.

I do wear CyclePort gear, Kevlar, which I imagine worsens the situation. Still?

The half moon stitching pattern according to Russel is the most waterproof. It is what I went with this time. I have to say if you polish it once and work it into the seams and then Lexol it, the seams will be waterproof. I have never worried over any treated seat I have ever owned once polished and using Lexol on them. Again on the side stand it runs off and a swipe of the hand or two and I ride.

I have to ask Russel owners, those that ride most *every* day, meaning off and on the bike most frequently.. any problems with seams blowing out on the right hand side where you slide your leg over?

I ask because I ride damn near 340 days a year, and go to lunch off the work site. So I'm on and off the saddle at least 4 times daily, and both Bill Mayer saddles have ripped the seam (fjr and dl650) on the RHS, the feejer leather and the DL vinyl.

Being a telecommuter, you know that I don't have any right to answer this question... :p

But I don't really see what's happening here. I don't know about you, but I definitely don't slide my leg across the seat to get on and off. I swing my leg around the rear of the bike and then sit down. You don't seem short enough to need to do that either. Maybe its just a habit you picked up somewhere? Is this a flashback to the thread showing how many ways there are for the pillion to mount? :lol:

If I was concerned about abrasion resistance I'd definitely go with the leather over the vinyl covering. I actually already have a small worn spot up on the welt of the nose of my vinyl covered Russell on the V-strom that I managed to wear off on the Puppy Dog Route in May. Russell probably hadn't considered folks might be sliding up on the nose for flat track slidin' the bike around on the smooth Vermont dirt roads. :rolleyes: It's just a small spot where the outer most plastic layer is worn off.

Well, I filled out the order form yesterday and sent it in.

I'm not sure how backed up they are, I'm hoping to get it within a month or so. I can't wait to try it out. Went for a small ride yesterday, I was wishing it was here already. I may have a sergeant for sale soon, going to depend on how I like this one. I may keep the sergeant for shorter rides, I'll have to see.

The Sargent is a good seat for shorter day rides and sportin' around. Really easy to hang off one of those, even easier than the squishy stock seat. You might wanna hang onto it. It's not like it is losing any value. ;)

The Sargent is a good seat for shorter day rides and sportin' around. Really easy to hang off one of those, even easier than the squishy stock seat. You might wanna hang onto it. It's not like it is losing any value. ;)
True. I'll wait and see, I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. It is a nice seat for the first few hours at least, and has a passenger backrest for the girlfriend.

Being a telecommuter, you know that I don't have any right to answer this question... :p

But I don't really see what's happening here. I don't know about you, but I definitely don't slide my leg across the seat to get on and off. I swing my leg around the rear of the bike and then sit down. You don't seem short enough to need to do that either. Maybe its just a habit you picked up somewhere? Is this a flashback to the thread showing how many ways there are for the pillion to mount? :lol:

If I was concerned about abrasion resistance I'd definitely go with the leather over the vinyl covering. I actually already have a small worn spot up on the welt of the nose of my vinyl covered Russell on the V-strom that I managed to wear off on the Puppy Dog Route in May. Russell probably hadn't considered folks might be sliding up on the nose for flat track slidin' the bike around on the smooth Vermont dirt roads. :rolleyes: It's just a small spot where the outer most plastic layer is worn off.
These pix shows what is happening to the leather BM seat..
1.jpg

3.jpg

Hmmm, that just looks like the seam ripped. I don't really see how your leg dragging across the seat would cause that. What is BM's warranty on the leather cover?

I've had the Rick Mayer for about four years and both my wife and I have been very happy with it. I got the leather and it's still hanging in. We had the luxury of riding in so we got to talk to him about the style we chose and we got the shape just right. Might be a nice vacation...
I did a ride in as well.

That's the best way to get it right.

I just did a 600+ mile day and I have no complaints at all.

Oh yeah, I went with leather as well. It does make a difference.

Ok so like some of the guys here that are vertically challenged like myself and are worried a russell day long seat will make it more difficult to get a foot on the ground we search for a alternative. Now I'm thinking these seats I just got off of ebay is one of the makers listed in the title of this thread. So far these are the most comfortable seats I have had on my FJR plus I can get a foot on the ground very easily. I have tried all of the other aftermarket seats that are made for the masses. So is there anyway to tell who made these seats? The only writing on the bottom of the seat is the owners name to the seats and a made up fjr seat part number.

Newseats001.jpg

Newseats002.jpg

Newseats003.jpg

Newseats004.jpg

Those are definitely Rick Mayer's work. Very distinctive stitch pattern.

Congrats on scoring a nice seat. Hopefully it will work out for you.

After an heart operation and then NAFO in Castlegar, my now bony rear end said "you must get a new seat."

So, last week off to Bill "Rocky" Meyer I went for a ride in fitting. Well worth the trip. On the way back home I rode for over four hours non-stop. Something I haven't done since I was 60 years old.

Makes me wonder why I didn't get the seat custom built years ago.

Bruce

Thanks Fred. I got them off ebay for $150.00 plus shipping so I figured I couldn't go wrong with trying them out. So far I'm very pleased. I fits me like it was made for me. I haven't taken them on a long ride yet. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow morning. But I figured between these new to me seats and my airhawks I should be able to ride as long as I want now without any discomfort. I'm hoping to ride with out the airhawk but if I can't I have it to use.

Thanks Fred. I got them off ebay for $150.00 plus shipping so I figured I couldn't go wrong with trying them out. So far I'm very pleased. I fits me like it was made for me. I haven't taken them on a long ride yet. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow morning. But I figured between these new to me seats and my airhawks I should be able to ride as long as I want now without any discomfort. I'm hoping to ride with out the airhawk but if I can't I have it to use.
$150 for a dual Mayer? You stole those. :thumbsup: