ride down south

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonta

Reaction score
Hey people I'm headed down to deals gap via the blue ridge starting this coming Sat. from southern Vt. Looks like Sat. is going to be a wet start to this adventure. This will be my third trip down there but i've been hearing rumors that the fines for speeding on the blue ridge have gone out of sight. Do any of you know this for sure or is this just rumor? I deffinetly don't need a big fat speeding ticket to bring home for keep sake. :unsure:

the parkway is in "ranger" territory. it's always been higher than a regular ticket. stick to the posted limit and you won't have to worry about it.

the parkway is in "ranger" territory. it's always been higher than a regular ticket. stick to the posted limit and you won't have to worry about it.
It's hard to stay within the limit on the parkway,nice but hard.

I heard the tickets were$500. a shot now. :angry:

BRP Leos that I've encountered run a short range radar and are not often seen running any kind of speed trap. However, it is Federal jurisdiction and can carry hefty fines in the 4-digit range. Your worst nightmare would be getting caught running triple digits on the BRP. That could land you in Federal prison on a date as Bubba's girlfriend.

Remember, the BRP was made for gawking. It certainly would be one of the finest race tracks ever created, IF it were closed for one weekend a year like Pike's Peak etc.

Take my very experienced advice and plot your course on the BRP with the 45mph speed limit in mind. Breathe deep, look around and take in the beauty around you. Definitely keep it under 54 mph.

:)

Oh, for sure that is speed respectfully country. If I were hell bent on speeding... which I usually am just a little, I wouldn't do more than 5-10 over. I am sure that it isn't a rumor. Since it is federal land a speeding ticket carries no points to be applied to your license... but sure as hell, a ticket can cost up to $500.00. I've heard that it is up the discretion of the officer.

Good luck & have fun on your trip, Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been to the BRP on the FJR yet, but on my SV while riding with a group of cruisers, I DEFINETLY got the look from many a ranger. And you might go 6 - 10 miles and not see one, then almost every miles it seems like one is passing you. Definetly just do like Mr. Ashe says and breathe in the beautiful scenery. Sometimes some curvy roads look better when they aren't blurred ;)

I ran the BRP at, frankly, breakneck speeds last year. The park rangers were running Ka, which the V1 caught. I didn't really get many looks from the PR's, but with the sidebags, topcase and pillion bag loaded down -- well...

If you don't have a good detector, don't even DREAM of speeding on federal property.

Ashe: man, if they closed it down for a few days a year, we could have our own Isle of Man TT out here. BRPTT. Man, that'd be cool.

I ran the BRP at, frankly, breakneck speeds last year. The park rangers were running Ka, which the V1 caught. I didn't really get many looks from the PR's, but with the sidebags, topcase and pillion bag loaded down -- well...
If you don't have a good detector, don't even DREAM of speeding on federal property.

Ashe: man, if they closed it down for a few days a year, we could have our own Isle of Man TT out here. BRPTT. Man, that'd be cool.

I can personally tell you it is expensive as hell! Three out of four of us got a speeding ticket in NC last year in June near deals gap. It was finally settled two weeks ago. The total cost including a Lawyer was $750.00!!!! Now we were hauling a little, got caught doing 90 in a 55 hwy zone. It is a scam in my opinion, you can not do defered judication or mail in the fine payment. You either have to be present during the hearing or hire a lawyer who will represent you.

The good news is I will not ever return to the gap. Way to many cops that are not biker friendly. I can not understand why since so much money is brought in from bikers. Wait, yes I do understand now, they would rather give you an expensive ticket instead of promoting biker friendly town. You can tell I am still pissed over this :angry:

90 in a 55

That's a speed trap all right <_<

Sounds like the cops were damn nice. Get tagged doing 35 over in Madison County here in the Panhandle and you'll be makin' little ones out of big ones.

And that's on I-10.

XHarley, next time you decide to head east, ask! There are at least a bizillion other roads in TN & NC that are way better than The Dragon. Just stop there for a T-shirt and try to avoid the ticket.

Now we were hauling a little, got caught doing 90 in a 55 hwy zone.
A "little"? Dude - you were doing almost double the speed limit.

The good news is I will not ever return to the gap.
And that's what they want.

Way to many cops that are not biker friendly.
And way too many bikers are not cop friendly.

I can not understand why since so much money is brought in from bikers. Wait, yes I do understand now, they would rather give you an expensive ticket instead of promoting biker friendly town.
Part of the problem is bikers think of the area as their own personal playground/MotoP course. The people who live in the area (and pay the LEO's and vote) complain about the bikers so the LEO's crack down on bikers doing ludicrous speeds.

You can tell I am still pissed over this :angry:
You've got no reason to be pissed. You knew what the rules were. You broke them. You paid the price. That's the way it works.

Now we were hauling a little, got caught doing 90 in a 55 hwy zone.
A "little"? Dude - you were doing almost double the speed limit.

The good news is I will not ever return to the gap.
And that's what they want.

Way to many cops that are not biker friendly.
And way too many bikers are not cop friendly.

I can not understand why since so much money is brought in from bikers. Wait, yes I do understand now, they would rather give you an expensive ticket instead of promoting biker friendly town.
Part of the problem is bikers think of the area as their own personal playground/MotoP course. The people who live in the area (and pay the LEO's and vote) complain about the bikers so the LEO's crack down on bikers doing ludicrous speeds.

You can tell I am still pissed over this :angry:
You've got no reason to be pissed. You knew what the rules were. You broke them. You paid the price. That's the way it works.
Amen <_<

Now we were hauling a little, got caught doing 90 in a 55 hwy zone. You can tell I am still pissed over this :angry:
Around here you would be pissed and WALKING...

I am not making excuses for speeding! I know I was wrong. What I am pissed is about the judicial system they have in NC. They have you by the balls, you have to appear in court or higher a lawyer.

You can all jump on my ass, I don't care. I am sure none of you have twisted the throttle.

XHarley, next time you decide to head east, ask! There are at least a bizillion other roads in TN & NC that are way better than The Dragon. Just stop there for a T-shirt and try to avoid the ticket.
+1 Jeff - My favorite is probably Hwy.28 between Walhalla, SC and Highlands, GA. I just wish it were closer to home so I could ride it more often. Awsome road with little traffic.

Richard Russell Raceway... er, I mean Parkway...is pretty good too, but the law dogs have been patroling it more than usual lately.

+1 Jeff - My favorite is probably Hwy.28 between Walhalla, SC and Highlands, GA. I just wish it were closer to home so I could ride it more often. Awsome road with little traffic.

Richard Russell Raceway... er, I mean Parkway...is pretty good too, but the law dogs have been patroling it more than usual lately.

Thanks! I will..............

Now we were hauling a little, got caught doing 90 in a 55 hwy zone. You can tell I am still pissed over this :angry:
Around here you would be pissed and WALKING...

I am not making excuses for speeding! I know I was wrong. What I am pissed is about the judicial system they have in NC. They have you by the balls, you have to appear in court or higher a lawyer.

You can all jump on my ass, I don't care. I am sure none of you have twisted the throttle.
Just curious. Did the lawyer help you at all (reduce fine?), or just take your place in the court room?

SR-71