Ride Magazine Jan 2008 "Power Survey"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
The UK Ride magazine has just published a reader survey on their bike experience. This is a general survey covering many aspects of bike ownership.

They show the results for 80 different bike models, their cut-off being a minimum of 18 responses for each model.

The models where lumped so that they don't differentiate between (say) the '01 to '05 FJR and the '06 '07.

Overall 1st: BMW R1200T

3rd: Honda ST1300

31st: FJR1300

They also give some comparisons between different types of bikes, e.g. streetbikes, trailies.

They put the FJR as a tourer (not a sports tourer), and 6th in that category.

Two published quotes from FJR owners:

"The FJR is supremely capable in every area. It's lighter than many tourers, economical and is comfortable for both rider and pillion. I've never found myself thinking 'if only it had a bit more power'. When the time comes to change it will be a tough act to follow" (PMcE)

"It's possible to tour on a sportsbike but if you want to do big distances in comfort and then get sporty once you are there, you want an FJR. This bike achieves the seemingly impossible - an all-rounder that doesn't feel like it makes any compromises. I just love mine." (KW)

I find it difficult to come to terms with the placement by this survey.

The UK Ride magazine has just published a reader survey on their bike experience. This is a general survey covering many aspects of bike ownership.
They show the results for 80 different bike models, their cut-off being a minimum of 18 responses for each model.

The models where lumped so that they don't differentiate between (say) the '01 to '05 FJR and the '06 '07.

Overall 1st: BMW R1200T

3rd: Honda ST1300

31st: FJR1300

They also give some comparisons between different types of bikes, e.g. streetbikes, trailies.

They put the FJR as a tourer (not a sports tourer), and 6th in that category.

Two published quotes from FJR owners:

"The FJR is supremely capable in every area. It's lighter than many tourers, economical and is comfortable for both rider and pillion. I've never found myself thinking 'if only it had a bit more power'. When the time comes to change it will be a tough act to follow" (PMcE)

"It's possible to tour on a sportsbike but if you want to do big distances in comfort and then get sporty once you are there, you want an FJR. This bike achieves the seemingly impossible - an all-rounder that doesn't feel like it makes any compromises. I just love mine." (KW)

I find it difficult to come to terms with the placement by this survey.

Because the editors drink warm beer :drinks:

Well the FJR was 2nd in Motorcyclists recent sport touring comparo....

#1 C14 of course being the new kid on the block

#2 was the FJR

#3 was the K1200

#4 was the ST1300

All did well, excelling in thier own niche segments of the class.... but for my money the FJR still has it all.... W

All mags are written and edited by whomever with an opinion. Means nothing. Publish your own mag.

For example, some people do not think whiskey is good = They are retarded. :crazy: :D

Because the editors drink warm beer .
You know why the Brits drink warm beer?

Lucas makes refrigerators.
AMEN! (One time BSA owner here who has ridden far too many miles without lights after the zenor diode took a crap AGAIN, staying close behind loud Harley riding buddies just to be able to see in their lights.)

And the FJR 31st? Pfffffft! Best all around bike I've ever been on.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, the magazine had full control over the survey. It's not hard to tailor questions to dictate the outcome. Second, I wonder how much BMW loaded up that mag with ads.

And even if the FJR came out last....who really gives a flying sh$t? I love my bike. When I was looking for my bike, I didn't look at magazines. I went to the forums and friends that I knew that ACTUALLY RODE A BIKE.

If one day I want a bike that will drain my pocketbook for repairs, then I'll get a beemer. If I want a bike that is a tad slow and gives off heat, then I'll get the Honda. If I want to get a bike that looks sexy, is ridiculously fast, comfortable, affordable, reliable, draws attention, farkle-options galore, commands the corners, and will invite the opposite sex to give me their phone numbers, then I'll get the FJR.

Oh, wait... I already have one :D

Luckily for me the famous 2007 SR-71 Power Bike Survey stated the 2007 FJR is best. And hey, I own one!

Survey's are just opinions... we all got 'em!

SR-71

First, the magazine had full control over the survey. It's not hard to tailor questions to dictate the outcome. Second, I wonder how much BMW loaded up that mag with ads.
And even if the FJR came out last....who really gives a flying sh$t? I love my bike. When I was looking for my bike, I didn't look at magazines. I went to the forums and friends that I knew that ACTUALLY RODE A BIKE.

If one day I want a bike that will drain my pocketbook for repairs, then I'll get a beemer. If I want a bike that is a tad slow and gives off heat, then I'll get the Honda. If I want to get a bike that looks sexy, is ridiculously fast, comfortable, affordable, reliable, draws attention, farkle-options galore, commands the corners, and will invite the opposite sex to give me their phone numbers, then I'll get the FJR.

Oh, wait... I already have one :D
+1 Eagle