Ride-On Tire Sealant and Balancer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an inexpensive option that I am currently using. Worth a look in my opinion. CLICK HERE +1 on the dichotomy!!! These old guys are very set in they're ways, but they have alot of good info. Wade through the BS to find it! HA

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an inexpensive option that I am currently using. Worth a look in my opinion. CLICK HERE +1 on the dichotomy!!! These old guys are very set in they're ways, but they have alot of good info. Wade through the BS to find it! HA
Well damn Barry, I much prefer the term "Mature Gentlemen" to fecking old guys! You want MadMike2, Niehart, SacramentoMike, FJRay and Papa Chuy to hit you with our walkers and canes???

Rotten young whippersnappers, we hope you get hemorrhoids and lose your teeth too!

Yeah, Dynabeads...those are the beads on a string that you stick up your...wait, nevermind...that's the other forum I belong to...

Tell me more about these beads? Do they work or have I opened up yet another can of worms?

Um...I'm sorry I asked?

WTF, it's like half of you are living on one planet and the other half are in some parallel universe. I suppose I will error on the side of not using it and just learn how to balance my wheels the old fashioned way. But damn, I've never seen such dichotomy...outside DC that is.
Well for the cost of a Mark Parnes Balancer and some stick on weights you are in business with balancing a tire. If that is what you are after. Over the years it is what I have settled on to balance my tires when I change them. It is damn accurate if you take your time.

While it is a by product of Ride On, balance of a tire is not it's primary goal. Sealing punctures is what it is all about. I used it as insurance and figured if I picked something up it would give me more time to realize and react to a puncture at speed. I did get a puncture, lost some air, but it held and when I stopped, and pulled the nail, I plugged it and never looked back until I changed it for a new tire.

While it is a by product of Ride On, balance of a tire is not it's primary goal. Sealing punctures is what it is all about. I used it as insurance and figured if I picked something up it would give me more time to realize and react to a puncture at speed. I did get a puncture, lost some air, but it held and when I stopped, and pulled the nail, I plugged it and never looked back until I changed it for a new tire.
That's the reason I use it and have been for some years now. I wouldn't rely on it to permanently seal a puncture, but if it seals well enough to get me home, that tire will be repaired/replaced. Can't testify as to whether it balances or not; I always balance mine on my Handy balancer before adding Ride On. It takes a few minutes to clean the wheel when changing tires, but it probably takes me as much time to clean the outside so the weights won't fall off. I used it in an old Virago that needed tubes (slow leaks); when changing tires once I decided to see how well it would seal. Rode the bike a mile or two to distribute the sealant, checked pressures, then punched 3 holes in each tire/tube with a 16 penny nail. Front sealed at 22 psi, back sealed at 34 psi. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to ride the bike again to see if the tires would stay sealed under riding conditions. I currently use it in all my bikes, except the Wing (don't think it's compatible with the tire pressure sensors).

I've used Ride On for 5 years or so. Its saved me a few times.

I change my own tires and static balance them before Ride On goes in. Never had rim corrosion or mess. Slime is one product known for that. Ride On isn't, in my experience.

Well, this has become quite a discussion. I have used both dyna beads and ride-on. Currently I have ride on in my FJR tires and have no issue with balance. Previously I used dyna beads and they worked great but I got a small nail in the rear tire and it had to be changed. The tire only had 5k miles on it and the dealer would not patch or plug so I put on new tire and had ride-on applied. You can bet your ass I will be at the same dealer when it comes time to replace that tire to see if there is any damage to the rim. The dealer swore ride-on was bullet proof and would do no damage to the rim or body paint should it come in contact with paint. I would be interested in seeing a rim from one of you who use ride-on and have no crud issue.

I'm going to start by saying that I did not read the previous 43 responses :p

On my last set of tires I had my wheel weights fall off at some point. The bike would vibrate pretty good around 80+ mph. I put Ride-on in as recommended. It fixed the vibration completely and wheels felt like they had just been professionally balanced.

When I took them off 3k miles later, it was no problem. None of it was on the wheel. It was all spread evenly along the inside of the tire surface. I checked if it rinsed out easily with water and it did - just to verify their claims.

I think it's a little pricey otherwise I would add it to future sets of tires. I bought it for the balancing effect and it absolutely worked.

I have my tires spin balanced at the dealer, then go home and add the Ride-on myself. I don't use it for the balance, but it probably doesn't hurt.

Ride-on has saved my butt a couple times. It goes in every time. I don't have any problems from my dealer, as he sells the stuff too. No corrosion so far.

FrontTireChange2-16-05009.jpg

Hmmm... this is an interesting little mystery. Time for some SWAG

This "corrosion" in the above piccy sure looks like rust (ferrous oxide) to me.

Our FJR wheels are made out of an aluminum alloy, so therefore have nothing ferrous in them to create these rusty stains.

(edit - Just checked my wheel with a magnet. Nope, no ferrous material in there)

Any corrosion of the aluminum alloy should be whitish or gray in color, not red.

Perhaps what rusted in Skootie's case was the steel belts in the tire itself? Those belts should not be exposed, and definitely not in the bead area...

But how else does one explain the rust stains?

Hmmm... this is an interesting little mystery. Time for some SWAG

This "corrosion" in the above piccy sure looks like rust (ferrous oxide) to me.

Our FJR wheels are made out of an aluminum alloy, so therefore have nothing ferrous in them to create these rusty stains.

(edit - Just checked my wheel with a magnet. Nope, no ferrous material in there)

Any corrosion of the aluminum alloy should be whitish or gray in color, not red.

Perhaps what rusted in Skootie's case was the steel belts in the tire itself? Those belts should not be exposed, and definitely not in the bead area...

But how else does one explain the rust stains?
Sounds almost reasonable. I too wondered how aluminum could rust.

Big issues for me is the color, his is chalk white while mine was tan to gray. Also as my picture shows it did not flow much off center even breaking the bead on a tire machine. And last but more important to me is how it got on the beads of the tire like that?

As I said if I would have seen that on my own rim I would be pissed too, but I would have wanted to know why and been on Ride On to 'splain.

Ok so I read all the responses and weighed the pros and cons of diy balancing. I finally decided to buy a balancer and the Marc Parnes version looked healthy enough. I got it Thursday and decided I'd take a crack at balancing over the weekend. Yesterday I pulled the wheels off and followed the directions...since Irene was pissing all over us anyway.

I first checked the wheels with the weights on from the dealer balancing. On the rear, it was clear that they were out of balance. Keeping in mind that these tires have over 5,000 miles on them, not totally unexpected. I pulled the weights off (three weights of 1/4 oz) and rebalanced the tire. Basically I ended up with the same weight but about 3 to 3.5 inches away from the original spot. The rear gave me trouble...it was a bit tricky to get it so that there was no movement no matter where I put the weight on the clock. In fact, I never quite got there but it was very close.

The front by contrast, while also needing the same amount of weight from before I took it off until I was done, was a breeze. The weights moved slightly from the dealer position but the wheel was rock steady no matter where I rotated the weights.

So, today I took it for a spin. Frankly, I couldn't tell any difference. So this led me to the following question:

How does an out of balance wheel manifest itself in feeling to the rider? Can any of you more experienced riders (notice I didn't say OLD...I'm pretty old myself) give a description of how one would know if the tire/wheel was out of balance?

Man I wonder how many times this same question has been asked?

I use "Ride-On" in my street bike as well as both dirt bikes, I've never seen any kind of corrosion like Skooter's showing.

The "Ride-On" has always done a good job in balancing the tires too!

Opinion# 4005628

How does an out of balance wheel manifest itself in feeling to the rider? Can any of you more experienced riders (notice I didn't say OLD...I'm pretty old myself) give a description of how one would know if the tire/wheel was out of balance?
Bike shakes/vibrates increasingly with speed typically.

In my recent NEPRT posting on my experience with Michelin PR3s, I wrote that I DID NOT balance the tires and let Ride-On Tire Sealant do the balancing.

Over the 10,752 miles, the ride was silky smooth and the tire wear has been amazing. When the tires were new, the tread depth on the rear tire was 8/32". The front tire measured 5/32". Currently, the rear tire has 5/32" of tread depth remaining while the front has 4/32" remaining.

In my recent NEPRT posting on my experience with Michelin PR3s, I wrote that I DID NOT balance the tires and let Ride-On Tire Sealant do the balancing.

Over the 10,752 miles, the ride was silky smooth and the tire wear has been amazing. When the tires were new, the tread depth on the rear tire was 8/32". The front tire measured 5/32". Currently, the rear tire has 5/32" of tread depth remaining while the front has 4/32" remaining.
Damn!! That means that your front tire should last you another 40k+ miles and the rear will be good for another 17k+ miles, for a total mileage of 28k miles.

We should call you Ponce 'de Leon as I think that you have found the tire mileage fountain of youth!!