Ride Suggestions Requested

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnyfjr

Reaction score
I have to be in Marlborough, MA next week for work and got the bright idea to ride there on the FJR (from Buffalo) over the Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately, I can't leave home until noon on Sunday, but was hoping for some suggestions for a day ride on Monday. I will be slabbing it on Sunday to be sure I arrive Sunday night so that I get the entire day on Monday tio enjoy some good roads. I just don't know the area and could use some suggestions on where to ride. This is all assuming that Irene hasn't buggered the area too badly.

Of course, the weather.com 10-day forecast for Marlbourough shows Monday as the only day of rain, but I'm optomistic that will change before i get there. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, and also if you know of any issues with any of the suggested roads due to Irene, that would be appreciated too! Thanks!

Do you have a GPS that accepts route uploads? If so I can hook you up with a nice western MA day ride. PM me an email address and I'll send it your way.

Sadly, my TomTom One auto GPS doesn't accept uploads that I know of. :(

I'm a total dumbass when it comes to loading/viewing routes for GPS, so pardon the possibly dumb question, but can the route be displayed on something like google maps or mapquest? I imagine so. I'll PM you and we can go from there.

Thanks Fred!!

Since I'm going to show the route in a GoogleMap interface, we might as well share it here in the forum.

Here's a link to a map of a ride that Joann and I made one Saturday several weeks ago. It is a full day's ride beginning from the famous Parker's Maple Barn in Mason, NH for a hearty breakfast (highly suggest arriving at 8AM on the holiday Monday). It takes you over some of the best back roads that Western Massachusetts has to offer. Sorry, no dirt roads are included in this route, but some of these roads are a little rough around the edges here and there. Definitely a fun ride. Caveat: Hopefully none of these roads were subject to any of the wrath of Irene this weekend!!

The route ends at "The Old Mill" restaurant in Westminster, MA. We highly recommend stopping there for an early dinner. You'll probably be hungry again from breakfast after riding all day. The ambiance is full-on New England and all of the food is great, but the complimentary pecan rolls and maple syrup smothered corn fritters make it worth the stop.

For those that do have routable GPS units, here are links to the files:

WesternMassRide.gpx

WesternMassRide.gdb

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw a picture of one spot on Rt. 2 on the far West end of MA that is basically gone. I know there are many many places where you would need to watch for gravel washed onto the road in corners to the much worse situations where rivers/brooks raged and washed out roads. I'm sure there are more damaged sections of Rt. 2, as well as most other routes through Berkshire County. And even more sadly, don't even think of attempting Rt. 9 in VT - or 100, or I'm pretty sure even 7. Southern VT is truly f@cked right now. You can ride through western MA - with some likely detours - but please be careful and don't speed through the fun parts, because you have no idea what's waiting around the corner.

I just saw a picture of one spot on Rt. 2 on the far West end of MA that is basically gone. I know there are many many places where you would need to watch for gravel washed onto the road in corners to the much worse situations where rivers/brooks raged and washed out roads. I'm sure there are more damaged sections of Rt. 2, as well as most other routes through Berkshire County. And even more sadly, don't even think of attempting Rt. 9 in VT - or 100, or I'm pretty sure even 7. Southern VT is truly f@cked right now. You can ride through western MA - with some likely detours - but please be careful and don't speed through the fun parts, because you have no idea what's waiting around the corner.
I will definitely take it easy no matter where I go, because of potential road issues due to the storm and simply because I have never been there before and don't know the roads. I sincerely appreciate Fred's routing suggestions and your warnings about what might be there and what might not. There is nothing like local knowledge!!

Here's hoping things get back to as close to normal as possible, as soon as possible, for all those affected by Irene.

I think I am going to try and hit these roads too. Any suggestions on south eastern NY to get there? Places to stay?

Thanks!

I think I am going to try and hit these roads too. Any suggestions on south eastern NY to get there? Places to stay?

Thanks!
Yeah, definitely. Stay far to the west for a more enjoyable ride.

The Delaware water gap is a nice ride and then Rte 30 up through the Cats.

From there you can meander on over through southwestern MA.

Something like this: Google Map

Fred...can you put routes into google android phones etc?

Fred...can you put routes into google android phones etc?

That looks great. Thanks s bunch. I can cruise up Rt 29 from Trenton up the Delaware if its not washed out to get there. Any suggestions for places to stay in Catskills? I guess camping would be good :)

I don't have an Android, so I don't know what is involved in that. That Google route was very loose representation anyway.

Lots of camping options there in the Cats. I've stayed at the Courtyard in Kingston. NY before on the way through. Used up some Marriott points. Lots of hotel options in Kingston.

Guess I'm not takin that route Fred through NY. Just saw some pictures of the road washouts in Catskills on the route suggestions you sent. Gonna research Western MA to see if that's gonna be safe.

Oh, there will no doubt be some road closures and bridges washed out.

Isn't that a part of the adventure? :unsure:

You can always detour around a closure with just about any GPS on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, there will no doubt be some road closures and bridges washed out.

Isn't that a part of the adventure? :unsure:

You can always detour around a closure with just about any GPS on board.
Yeh...I guess you are right! I was reading some posts by some other riders that said they wouldn't go through there this weekend. Shouldn't let others taint my thoughts...lol I think it would be a good adventure and I'd like to see what happened up there actually!

I don't have a good GPS. Just my phone's. A good map has always gotten me through in the past! Which GPS do you use?

Zumos. Z550 on the FJR and a Z660 on the V-strom. Tried others and eventually paid the money for the best available.

Often, when I'm in "Adventure man" mode I just leave it on map view with no route uploaded or selected, then take any turn in the road that looks interesting. When you get twisted around you can always consult the GPS or press the "Take me home Mr Wizard" button.

It's a lot of fun to look at the breadcrumb track log after the fact and see where you've been to on the map. Also makes creating routes that include those memorable roads easy peasy.

But they are not cheap.