Ride to Mendocino for Lunch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 24.

Shared destination ride. Join us at breakfast. Or just for lunch.

Go at your own pace. This route can be enjoyed at any speed.

Meet at the Putah Creek Cafe in Winters, CA, (a few miles east of Sacramento) for breakfast.

6 AM! (They open at 5:55.)

"The oatmeal served by this farm-country kitchen is the real thing, long-cooked and coarse-cut, served with a dish of brown sugar and (optionally) raisins and locally grown walnuts. You can get a nice chicken-fried steak with a hunky biscuit or warm bread pudding with espresso sauce. :p The breakfast we like best is known as the Putah Creek Scramble. It is a version of what Tex-Mex cooks know as migas – eggs scrambled with a corn tortilla, cheese, chilies, and crumbled chorizo sausage. The shreds of tortilla are mostly softened as they cook and become little earthy flavor cushions for the chili and chorizo; and the parts of tortilla that get sizzled crisp on the griddle serve as a wicked corn crunch among the creamy eggs."

Holy CRAP!

And the coffee's good too.

We'll be rolling by 7. At sunrise!

Hwy. 128 most of the way, until we reach the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Then a few pleasant miles of that up to Mendocino, and lunch. Haven't determined which restaurant. (Open for suggestions.) It's a tiny town.

Then back down Highway 1 to Stewarts Point.

"That" road back in to the valley, and a free-for-all to home.

Yes, I just rode most of this with Dr. Rich last week, but it is one of the nicest routes up in this area, and

that's saying something.

Miles of twisties, redwoods, rolling hills, vineyards, ocean air, farmland, .... and other stuff.

About 350 miles, depending on this and that. (Dawn to dusk.)

Map of suggested route.

Weather forecast - mid-60s, sunny, clear, light breeze.

So far, just me and my brother, Dr. Rich.

See y'all in the morning?

[SIZE=8pt]There you go! I planned and posted a ride. And gave plenty of notice! Howzat?[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. You finally post up a ride with more than 15 minutes of lead time and I've got to work.

You called my boss before posting didn't you.

Have fun.

Mark

"The oatmeal served by this farm-country kitchen is the real thing, long-cooked and coarse-cut, served with a dish of brown sugar and (optionally) raisins and locally grown walnuts. You can get a nice chicken-fried steak with a hunky biscuit or warm bread pudding with espresso sauce. tongue.gif The breakfast we like best is known as the Putah Creek Scramble. It is a version of what Tex-Mex cooks know as migas – eggs scrambled with a corn tortilla, cheese, chilies, and crumbled chorizo sausage. The shreds of tortilla are mostly softened as they cook and become little earthy flavor cushions for the chili and chorizo; and the parts of tortilla that get sizzled crisp on the griddle serve as a wicked corn crunch among the creamy eggs."Holy CRAP!

Sure does look Los Robustos sanctioned eats to me. I think Don has already left and on his way there :cheff:

"The oatmeal served by this farm-country kitchen is the real thing, long-cooked and coarse-cut, served with a dish of brown sugar and (optionally) raisins and locally grown walnuts. You can get a nice chicken-fried steak with a hunky biscuit or warm bread pudding with espresso sauce. :p The breakfast we like best is known as the Putah Creek Scramble. It is a version of what Tex-Mex cooks know as migas – eggs scrambled with a corn tortilla, cheese, chilies, and crumbled chorizo sausage. The shreds of tortilla are mostly softened as they cook and become little earthy flavor cushions for the chili and chorizo; and the parts of tortilla that get sizzled crisp on the griddle serve as a wicked corn crunch among the creamy eggs."
I'll have one of those! and orange juice.

"The oatmeal served by this farm-country kitchen is the real thing, long-cooked and coarse-cut, served with a dish of brown sugar and (optionally) raisins and locally grown walnuts. You can get a nice chicken-fried steak with a hunky biscuit or warm bread pudding with espresso sauce. tongue.gif The breakfast we like best is known as the Putah Creek Scramble. It is a version of what Tex-Mex cooks know as migas – eggs scrambled with a corn tortilla, cheese, chilies, and crumbled chorizo sausage. The shreds of tortilla are mostly softened as they cook and become little earthy flavor cushions for the chili and chorizo; and the parts of tortilla that get sizzled crisp on the griddle serve as a wicked corn crunch among the creamy eggs."Holy CRAP!

Sure does look Los Robustos sanctioned eats to me. I think Don has already left and on his way there :cheff:
I am with Dan and John, I certainly would give this menu a Los Robustos sanction. OM, does the waitress have a nice rack?

Go ride, quit lurking! :lol:
I'd buy you both breakfast.
Don, I sure do miss riding in my home state of California. Being from Morro Bay, my almost weekly ride for so many years was Cayucos to Monterey and back. My BMW R90S "Dieter" and I had that entire stretch memorized and could "smoke it"!!!

Oh my gosh, a free breakfast from a fellow Irishman!?! dcarver, you do know how copper wire was first invented don't you?

Copper wire was very first invented when an Irishman and a Scotsman (or a Dane) were fighting on the street over a penny!

Crap, crap, crap! :( New tires on the bike could really do with the scrub in they'd have gotten from 128/253, but had other plans this weekend. Should be great weather - Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 24.Shared destination ride. Join us at breakfast. Or just for lunch.

Go at your own pace. This route can be enjoyed at any speed.

Meet at the Putah Creek Cafe in Winters, CA, (a few miles east of Sacramento) for breakfast.

6 AM! (They open at 5:55.)

"The oatmeal served by this farm-country kitchen is the real thing, long-cooked and coarse-cut, served with a dish of brown sugar and (optionally) raisins and locally grown walnuts. You can get a nice chicken-fried steak with a hunky biscuit orwarm bread pudding with espresso sauce. :p

We'll be rolling by 7. At sunrise!

Hwy. 128 most of the way, until we reach the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Then a few pleasant miles of that up to Mendocino, and lunch. Haven't determined which restaurant. (Open for suggestions.) It's a tiny town.

Miles of twisties, redwoods, rolling hills, vineyards, ocean air, farmland, .... and other stuff.

About 350 miles, depending on this and that. (Dawn to dusk.)

Map of suggested route.

Weather forecast - mid-60s, sunny, clear, light breeze.

So far, just me and my brother, Dr. Rich.

See y'all in the morning?

[SIZE=8pt]There you go! I planned and posted a ride. And gave plenty of notice! Howzat?[/SIZE]

OM, you post THE most compelling rides. If I lived a little closer, you'd have at least one reliable riding partner
:rolleyes:

I am with Dan and John, I certainly would give this menu a Los Robustos sanction. OM, does the waitress have a nice rack?
Gunny! If the portions are small just order two. Quality cannot be masked, but portion size is easily fixed. ;)

Am I to believe what I'm reading in these posts? He finally gives proper notice of a ride and countless people blow him off like some FNG? He one of the Forums great national resources for pete's sake. He's like the Queen Mother, or The Most Interesting Man In The World. It just isn't done, people. Besides, who wouldn't want to see that giant hand he has in his new forum profile? I'm coming, Michael. I just changed the oil today, and I'm good to go. I figure if I leave now and ride non-stop, I can do it. Count me in, buddy.

ps - Michael, I have just been informed by She Who Must Be Obeyed that I am not, in fact, going to be meeting with you tomorrow. I can't tell you the exact reason, but rest assured, it's very manly, and has nothing to do with being pussy whipped. In fact, I'm awash in testosterone even as I type. Have a good time, Michael.