Rider Protection for newer rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old adage isn't if but when you will go down. And I don't like to bleed.

So - ATGATT

I've been down a few times (long ago), including a 40mph highside getting on the freeway. Between bicycles, skateboards, and a couple of MC crashes in my late teens/early twenties, my knees don't look so good. So I've done the (minor) bleeding - didn't like it.

I'd rather sweat than bleed.

Riding with just normal jeans is an invitation for road rash. Simply read these or any other m/c forum of good riders, riding attentively, ending up in a crash (being hit, rear-ended, animal, whatever). So in my mid-twenties I got m/c leather pants. Which was fine for an all-day ride, but not convenient for going to work, etc. So I've now had my Aerostitch RoadCrafter 2-pc suit for almost 15 years (and I got mine used). Still look good - I just had it cleaned, all the pads and reflective parts, and some of the velco replaced. The Aerostitch works down into near-freezing temps by adding some extra layers, and I've ridden in Death Valley in 120degree weather. The trick when it is hot is to open the vents, wear long-sleeve breathable, light clothing. I ride to work daily, all year long (the joy of SoCal). Getting in-and-out oft the 'stitch only takes seconds, so I always wear it. I couldn't care less what other people think of how it looks. I'm strictly a function over form type.

Due to (very slight) ankle scrape when I was yonger is some slow spills, I went to ankle-top sneakers, then boots. I now wear 8" tall tactical boots (was cheap Magnum for years, but recently picked up Bates which are so much better made). I still have been too cheap for sidi or alpinestar boots, but will probably upgrade when my current boots are ready for replacing. These aren't water-proof, but in San Diego - that is largely a non-issue.

Part of the gear to get depends on

- your budget

- your riding style (day rides once in a while in only good weather, commuting, long tours, etc.) and frequency

If you are patient, or low on funds, buying on-sale (or in the case of jacket/pants, used), you should be able to great a good setup for about $1,000 ($200-300 solid color Shoei or Arai helmet, $100 boots, $50 gloves, $500 for jacket and pants). If you can find your size, a used 'stitch in good condition can be found for $300-400. Like motorcycles, many people try out riding, get the nice new bike, farkles, and gear, then sell a year or two later with little use. So unless you are opposed to used, there are many great deals to be had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday coming home from my ride on the CBR (see "Sportbikes"), I was on a two-lane freeway going about 70, being mellow in dense traffic, when I spotted a single headlight coming up behind me pretty quickly. I signalled and pulled over into the slow lane, then threw out the wave as the bike went by. Dude gives me the wave back as he flies on by on a sport bike wearing...shorts! Yeah, he had on a helmet and some kind of jacket, maybe motorcycle. See, I don't think guys like that actually believe they are going to crash. Me, I believe I'm going to crash every f**king day I get on that thing...! So I had on my zip-together leathers with back protector under the jacket, and of course boots, gloves, and helmet. I had so much sh*t on I felt like an astronaut when I wasn't on the bike.

Well, I know sometimes it's the Power Rangers vs. the Village People, as far as how the ATGATT crowd and the Hardley crowd are viewed in some circles, or sometimes by each other, but this thread got me thinking about the upside of being protected when we ride--maybe that pic of the poor road-rashed bastage a few posts back most of all. Between that, and having that crazy character from American Idol and his song a couple weeks back stuck in my head, I couldn't keep from having this pop up. So now you'll have it too. Hope you have better luck driving it out than I did.

Pants on the ground,

Pants on the ground.

I feel like a fool with my pants on the ground.

Bare hands down,

Helmet turned around,

Sliding down the road on my pants on the ground.

Should a' worn my armor 'stead of pants on the ground.

Yeah, it's gonna hurt bad to have my pants on the ground.

:lol:

Yesterday coming home from my ride on the CBR (see "Sportbikes"), I was on a two-lane freeway going about 70, being mellow in dense traffic, when I spotted a single headlight coming up behind me pretty quickly. I signalled and pulled over into the slow lane, then threw out the wave as the bike went by. Dude gives me the wave back as he flies on by on a sport bike wearing...shorts! Yeah, he had on a helmet and some kind of jacket, maybe motorcycle. See, I don't think guys like that actually believe they are going to crash. Me, I believe I'm going to crash every f**king day I get on that thing...! So I had on my zip-together leathers with back protector under the jacket, and of course boots, gloves, and helmet. I had so much sh*t on I felt like an astronaut when I wasn't on the bike.
Yep, for lots of sportbike riders in my area, it seems that a nice helmet is standard apparel along with sneakers/flipflops, shorts and a billowing tee shirt. Now in winter, jeans replace the shorts and maybe an inadequate jacket to allow warmth is added. I've seen these dudes literally soaked to the bone in rainstorms etc. I rarely see full leathers or real protective gear. Maybe you are right about their perception of immortality and invincibility. I don't ride in fear, but I do ride with reality of the possibilities.

doctorj

I am also ATGATT. I'll add this: the fit must be snug

Be careful not to buy gear that is loose fitting, you don't want the gear rotating and moving around, and worse of all, coming off. Everything must be snug.

Between that, and having that crazy character from American Idol and his song a couple weeks back stuck in my head, I couldn't keep from having this pop up. So now you'll have it too. Hope you have better luck driving it out than I did.
Pants on the ground,

Pants on the ground.

I feel like a fool with my pants on the ground.

Bare hands down,

Helmet turned around,

Sliding down the road on my pants on the ground.

Should a' worn my armor 'stead of pants on the ground.

Yeah, it's gonna hurt bad to have my pants on the ground.

:lol:
Someone sent that link to me a while back, and it got stuck in my head too. The following statement drove it out, real quick;

OFFICER MARK MacPHAIL was murdered in 1989. Troy Davis was convicted of his murder and still sits on Death Row. Just in case anyone is a fan of the "PANTS ON THE GROUND" - the singer of that song was wearing a "FREE TROY DAVIS" sticker on his shirt. (verified through news articles and photos) you make the call!!!!

As for wearing your gear snug, I'm trying real hard to make all mine fit as snug as possible. Especially the pants which seem to shrink while in the closet.

Some of you tougher guys will call me a pansy, but one of the reasons I have adopted the ATGATT philosophy is that I love my wife and would not want her married to a vegetable, or have to go through the agony of getting "that phone call". She rides too, and when she does a long solo trip or takes a few more minutes than I expect to appear around the corner I just left, I get worried. I can imagine it's the same for her.
All but two of my riding friends have children and that plays a role in how they approach the risk of riding. Their wives haven't demanded that they stop riding, and I suspect a big part of that is that they take their safety seriously, (which shows). It takes a certain kind of selfishness to say "To hell will my family, I'm gonna look cool and do what's convenient and comfortable!"

One of the things I've learned over the years is that we all measure risk differently. juniorfjr's comment regarding gambling, or rolivnar's comparison of hours of comfort vs. potentially seconds of actually needing the gear underscores that. It is the rider who decides what the cost of the risk is, and how and how much they want to mitigate.

That being said .. wearing the right gear is a quick way to help reduce injury, but the best thing is to avoid those situations in the first place. Sure, there's not much you can do about deer jumping in front of you or someone running you over, but about half of all motorcycle deaths are single-vehicle accidents caused by a lack of skill and knowledge. In my opinion, the single most effective safety measure a rider can take is to improve their skills by taking a riding class. They'll learn to stop in a shorter distance, manage traction, and become more aware of traffic conditions. These are the skills that will have the biggest impact on safety ... not whether we wear a helmet (despite the media focusing on that when reporting on motorcycle accidents).
I am liking what you are saying here.

Someone sent that link to me a while back, and it got stuck in my head too. The following statement drove it out, real quick;
OFFICER MARK MacPHAIL was murdered in 1989. Troy Davis was convicted of his murder and still sits on Death Row. Just in case anyone is a fan of the "PANTS ON THE GROUND" - the singer of that song was wearing a "FREE TROY DAVIS" sticker on his shirt. (verified through news articles and photos) you make the call!!!!
Yes, you make the call. I suggest that anyone interested in such things could read more about the case before you decide whether Troy Davis was fairly convicted.

Back to ATGATT...

Most textile, and that includes jeans, will melt to your skin in a bad slide. But you really got to get a good slide going for that to happen. My buddy melted his two fingers together in a 80mph slide and that was skin on skin! (not pretty by the way)

I've seen guys with burns off of leather as well. The difference is, leather won't try to laminate itself to your skin. Its a trade off. The benefits of textile (lightweight, cleanability, color, etc) over absolute protection.
It's why racing leathers are skin tight.

The 'stitch 1 piece "owner's manual" recommends long sleeves and pants. Not to stop welding to wearer, but to stop the abrading by the suit twisting. While I admit disobeying this rule, for sure very mild abrasion vs skin on road. A guy I know, wiped out a sport bike in the city at 40 mph, road rash was the only damage and he was getting skin grafts for months. He was in helmet, T shirt and jeans. ATGATT believer.

Quality stuff, tested deliberately and accidentily like the 'stitch has the upside of textile and very little downside.

I'm ATGATT with Oxtar boots, Roadcrafter (with back pad), gauntlet gloves, and of course a helmet. It gets hot as hell here in eastern NC during the summer months, but I don't mind sweating (drink lots of water). I learned my rashing lesson on a waxed concrete downhill track back when I was a teenager (Alpine Slide) and while probably not as painful as a rub down to the bone, a forearm length wax burn was painful enough to teach me the physics involved with skin, solid surfaces, and speed. I get the occasional stare, but who gives a crap what the others are thinking...you're riding the bike...they aren't.

Actually, the Stich isn't really that bad in hot weather when you take advantage of the various venting methods available in the suit and try to stay out of the situations where you get stuck in traffic (I use an UnderArmour shirt too). The sleeve zippers unzipped work wonders to push air up into the suit on really bad days. Like some others here, I sometimes disobey the directions and wear nothing but shorts under the Stich, but I generally have at least some sweats on underneath. In the wintertime, I layer up and do pretty good, although I'm always reminded that perhaps adding in those side gussets wouldn't be a bad thing, lol.

My wife wears an armored jacket, boots, helmet, gloves, and jeans when 2up. She's not been satisfied with any of the pants she's seen, but I'm working on it. ;)