Riding and Crashing and Learning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now Mike as I get ready to go to CFR I'll be thinking of ya. I'll post up some pics. Moosehead and I are doing an Iron Butt into Nova Scotia. I'm taking a video camera too this time. I'll get you some cliff shots of the Cabot Trail. I gather you're at home now. Glad you're ok. Do yourself some therapy and go browse the Dealership.

Rob

Hey Mike, a coupla questions?

Do you think your jacket rode up when you landed or were sliding on your back?

Was your jacket attached to your pants in the back (I don't remember you mentioning you were in a one piece suit)?

Glad you are on the road to recovery!

See you later down the road!

Thanks to everyone for all the kind and encouraging, and funny, and smart-assed comments. I loved them all.

To answer a few of the questions -

My FJR was indeed totalled. Forks and steering neck, swingarm, wheels, most all the plastic, bags, exhaust, etc., etc.

It DID start and run while suspended on that forklift. It at first would just crank and not fire, so after a bit of troubleshooting, we found the fuel pump had been broken inside the tank. With a tank and fuel pump from a donor bike, it started and ran, which made their offer for the remains a good bit better.

I did take my nearly new Bill Mayer saddle off and I'm gonna keep it till I'm sure of what I'll next be riding. Other than a couple of scuffs, it survived.

My jacket and pants were not zipped together. The pants were pretty torn up around the beltline on the left side, and as I mentioned, they cut 'em to shreds getting them off me. I don't think the jacket "rode up" on me and I credit it with REALLY keeping the injuries to my trunk/torso from being much more severe.

Good leather with armor is the ticket, in my opinion. Even in hot weather. Just my opinion.

The helmet was a Shoei Multitec. Don't recall the color. :D I'll be getting another one.

Sliders didn't do shit for me. What a waste of money. :lol:

20 minute helicopter ride - $17K. No snacks.

My next bike will be a BMW. ...........Kidding. :lol:

Can't see myself on anything but another FJR.

Yes, I'll certainly be at TWN's Memorial later this month!

Dress nice and comb your hair. I'll be taking pics.

See ya'll there.

...and thanks again all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike, a coupla questions?
Do you think your jacket rode up when you landed or were sliding on your back?

Was your jacket attached to your pants in the back (I don't remember you mentioning you were in a one piece suit)?

Glad you are on the road to recovery!

See you later down the road!
I think he did more flying and bouncing then sliding

OM didn't want me to tell, but.............his new ride......

m500_lifestyle011.jpg

OM, this was NOT the post I wanted to read on the first day on the FJR.

But it is nice to know the gear kept you less than screwed up.

Hoping you get well soon.

OM Glad it is working out. Looks like you came out as well as you would have in a Cage maybe better. Aside from it starting it looked like that front left Rotor was in pretty good shape too. I would love to know what kind of Med ins you have though. I think mine would have put me on the Grey Dog to go home.

Okay, now I’d like to say a few really important things, before I wrap this up.
Medics and EMTs are special folks. I'm sure they get sick of scraping up idiots from the side of the road. But they keep doing

it, because somebody has to. Yes, I apologized to them for making them climb down that stinkin' hill to drag me out.

I could not even consider doing their job. I can only imagine some of the scenes they roll up on. Thanks guys.

I love nurses, both RN’s and CNA’s. They put up with an awful lot, see suffering every day, and I think

they should all be given an automatic pass into heaven for taking on such a difficult career. It takes a special kind of soul.

They are angels, and I'll always have a spot in my heart for them.
First of all let me start by saying I'm really happy to hear that you will make a complete recovery. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Secondly, you made me cry with your thanks to the medics, EMT's & nurses. I'm like you, I couldn't even consider doing their job. They are our guardian angels.