Riding pain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain. I'm 6ft 4in and can't seem to get forward enough. I wish someone made lower more forward bars. I miss my old 95' fzr 1000. I considered buying a stock seat online and adding padding until I was comfy. :angry2:

Do any of you guys ever get that burning feeling between your shoulder blades while riding? I've had a few bikes and have had this problem on my WeeStrom also.

Jen, I can't help but notice that's a real sportbike in your avatar. Are sportbikes typically your ride of choice? If so and you don't have this problem on sportbikes, we're in the same boat. I do like my FJR, but I've always said I'd like it ALOT better if it sat more like a sportbike. I can go farther 'in comfort' on any of my sportbikes than I can on my FJR. Sad but true. I don't think (at least for me) that it's a muscle stretching or strength issue...my job provides plenty of that 45 hours a week. Tried different seats, different bar risers, different shields, all to no avail. I think at least for me, it's just a matter of the riding position my body prefers...head and arms forward, feet back! I tolerate the riding position of the feej because it does everything else so darn well. But if I was flying solo instead of two-up, I'd probably do it on a VFR.

Anyone have this problem and solved it?
Thanks,

Jen

Have it, yes. Solved it, no.

Sorry,

I battled that same pain for all the years I've been on my FJRs. Risers didn't help. Had to switch to the Heli Triple Clamp. That worked finally.

Do any of you guys ever get that burning feeling between your shoulder blades while riding? I've had a few bikes and have had this problem on my WeeStrom also.
I went for a long ride today and it was real bad and affected my riding. I don't ride tense. I keep my arms slightly bent and relaxed as possible, loose on the grips, but today started with a little tightness between the shoulder blades and as the day went on it was a searing, burning pain. This has got to be fixed. I'm not the fittest person in the world, but I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Jen
Jen,

I haven't solved it either, however I am able to manage it by letting go of the bars when I can.

I think the issue presents itself when we go on fairly long rides on nearly straight, less demanding roads that require little motion from the driver to continue on. After a while the back gets tired of holding out the arms to keep a light touch on the handle bars. Since my bike has cruise control I am able to take both hands off the bars and place them on the fuel tank in front of me. My right hand is no longer forever doomed to keep that throttle grip twisted. I also found that with both hands, or even one hand in contact with the bars tends to induce a small correction to the line of travel the bike runs. This slight tension, steering the bike, puts a twist in your back that can get quite painful.

The other benefit of riding no hands is you get to know how well the bike handles and tracks just by shifting body weight. If you find you need to make a large correction by sitting off to one side, perhaps a change in ballast is in order with the saddle bag contents. Pay attention if the bike seems unstable around 40 to 50 mph, you may need to tend to some mechanical work.

I'm not advocating getting rid of the handlebars, just suggesting you develop a new skill set. Any weight shifting to affect a course correction, should be done with your legs only. With just your finger tips touching the tank this becomes second nature.

One other benefit of getting your right hand off the throttle grip for extended periods of time is your fingers won't go numb.

Something to think about... Give it a try when you feel right. :p

Brodie

I went for a long ride today and it was real bad and affected my riding. I don't ride tense. I keep my arms slightly bent and relaxed as possible, loose on the grips, but today started with a little tightness between the shoulder blades and as the day went on it was a searing, burning pain. This has got to be fixed. I'm not the fittest person in the world, but I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Jen
Jen,

I haven't solved it either, however I am able to manage it by letting go of the bars when I can.

I think the issue presents itself when we go on fairly long rides on nearly straight, less demanding roads that require little motion from the driver to continue on. After a while the back gets tired of holding out the arms to keep a light touch on the handle bars. Since my bike has cruise control I am able to take both hands off the bars and place them on the fuel tank in front of me. My right hand is no longer forever doomed to keep that throttle grip twisted. I also found that with both hands, or even one hand in contact with the bars tends to induce a small correction to the line of travel the bike runs. This slight tension, steering the bike, puts a twist in your back that can get quite painful.

The other benefit of riding no hands is you get to know how well the bike handles and tracks just by shifting body weight. If you find you need to make a large correction by sitting off to one side, perhaps a change in ballast is in order with the saddle bag contents. Pay attention if the bike seems unstable around 40 to 50 mph, you may need to tend to some mechanical work.

I'm not advocating getting rid of the handlebars, just suggesting you develop a new skill set. Any weight shifting to affect a course correction, should be done with your legs only. With just your finger tips touching the tank this becomes second nature.

One other benefit of getting your right hand off the throttle grip for extended periods of time is your fingers won't go numb.

Something to think about... Give it a try when you feel right. :p

Brodie
We're all different. Mine is caused by leaning forward and thus having to keep my head tilted back to see straight ahead. The only time I don't have the pain is when riding a cuiser, which lets me sit back and thus keep my head at a more normal position relative to my shoulders.

Yeah, I think there are so many factors involved in motorcycle ergonomics and comfort. As Dangerous Dave mentioned he is more comfortable in your classic "jockey" sportbike position than more upright or maybe even the "couch" position of a cruiser. I used to have a sportbike of sorts before my FJR (SV1000S) and I never got this burning sensation in the center of my back when riding. (Yes Dave that is me in the avatar turn 2 at Infineon :) )However I did not find that bike comfortable for long rides either. I think the whole point of a sportbike is for racing and maximum performance more than comfort, even though you see squids everywhere in T-shirt and shorts riding straight armed on their R6. My legs would get it first on a sportbike from the visegrip pressure around the tank and pushing on the footpegs all the time as I use my body a lot more to maneuver the bike.

I will read the links you guys posted from Yoda and others. I've just recovered from ankle surgery so have been off the saddle for 60 days and I need to start a normal routine of fitness. I also believe it may be something as simple as a "bad habit" like pulling my shoulders up in a "shrugging" position all the time when I'm riding this bike. One of the things I've learned in my years of riding was to repeat the mantra "like jello" before I take off on my bike each day. To remind myself to keep all my muscles from my waist up relaxed "like jello" to avoid the beginning of any muscle tension.

thanks for your advice,

jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Jen, I do the same as othrs as far as Yoda, reminding myself to relax arms and shoulders, get off the bike and stretch if I get cramped, etc. I also had the bars moved FORWARD so I could stretch out my arms more -- that helped a lot.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but my wife had that pain from bras that were too small after she gained some weight and then started riding a bicycle -- the pain went away after a fitting. I'm just sayin...

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but my wife had that pain from bras that were too small after she gained some weight and then started riding a bicycle -- the pain went away after a fitting. I'm just sayin...
Just had a fitting from Victoria's Secret and all is well ;) j/k

I made a change to the bike last night and adjusted the handlebars back a notch (furthest back). I think its only 1/2 inch or so, but I went for a spin today and what a difference that 1/2 inch makes. Really felt good raised me up slightly. I'm going for another all day ride tomorrow (hey got to enjoy this nice weather when your unemployed :) ) and see how it feels.

-jen

I've been thinking about this thread since you first posted. As with all muscle groups, if they are "held" in one position for too long, they will complain. One thing that I do is to change position every 5-10 minutes. It can be something as subtle as resting my arm on the tank bag, arching my back more, shifting to one side 1/2"....small changes that change the muscle memory pattern and the blood flow.

Let us know what works for you.

Last year on the first day of a 1 week ride I also developed pain in the same area after about 3-400 miles. I was riding a buddies FJR and we figured out that even though it was a Cee Baileys +2 flip it wasn't tall enough for me and I was getting some slight back pressure pushing the back my helmet forward causing a steady strain on my postural muscles. Fiddling with the screen height helped lots but it gets that old best windsheild debate going again.......Just a thought.

FROM DANGEROUS DAVE:

Jen, I can't help but notice that's a real sportbike in your avatar. Are sportbikes typically your ride of choice? If so and you don't have this problem on sportbikes, we're in the same boat. I do like my FJR, but I've always said I'd like it ALOT better if it sat more like a sportbike. I can go farther 'in comfort' on any of my sportbikes than I can on my FJR. Sad but true. I don't think (at least for me) that it's a muscle stretching or strength issue...my job provides plenty of that 45 hours a week. Tried different seats, different bar risers, different shields, all to no avail. I think at least for me, it's just a matter of the riding position my body prefers...head and arms forward, feet back! I tolerate the riding position of the feej because it does everything else so darn well. But if I was flying solo instead of two-up, I'd probably do it on a VFR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I accidentally stumbled upon the fix that Dangerous Dave touches upon. In short--lean forward more and keep you shield down so the wind helps support your head and neck.

For 4 years and 35K miles, I had that nagging pain just inside my left shoulder blade on anything over 250 miles. This was on my BMW RT that I had farkled to sit as upright as possible, while keeping my shield halfway up. Then I switched to the Honda ST, which has a more forward lean. Never again have I felt that pain on day after day of 500-600 milers. Not once in the 14K miles I've put on it in 8 months.

I was reminded of all those wise words from old long-distance riders: "The wind is your friend." OR "Stop hiding behind the barn door and let clean air prop you up."

It is not a workout thing, and it sure isn't from me being in better shape because I'm 5 years older--into my 60s--and none the thinner.

Try the "lean," a key component of the Master Yoda riding position. Then add clean air, stop every hour for 10 minutes to stretch, and remember to take 2 Tylenol before you start the ride to prevent swelling.

**note--I'm assuming the pain was caused by the lack of lean. It's possible it may have resulted from countering the old RT's pull-to-the-right, but since i've not read about that issue as a cause, I'm inclined to chalk it up to lack of forward lean.

I accidentally stumbled upon the fix that Dangerous Dave touches upon. In short--lean forward more and keep you shield down so the wind helps support your head and neck.
For 4 years and 35K miles, I had that nagging pain just inside my left shoulder blade on anything over 250 miles. This was on my BMW RT that I had farkled to sit as upright as possible, while keeping my shield halfway up. Then I switched to the Honda ST, which has a more forward lean. Never again have I felt that pain on day after day of 500-600 milers. Not once in the 14K miles I've put on it in 8 months.

I was reminded of all those wise words from old long-distance riders: "The wind is your friend." OR "Stop hiding behind the barn door and let clean air prop you up."

It is not a workout thing, and it sure isn't from me being in better shape because I'm 5 years older--into my 60s--and none the thinner.

Try the "lean," a key component of the Master Yoda riding position. Then add clean air, stop every hour for 10 minutes to stretch, and remember to take 2 Tylenol before you start the ride to prevent swelling.

**note--I'm assuming the pain was caused by the lack of lean. It's possible it may have resulted from countering the old RT's pull-to-the-right, but since i've not read about that issue as a cause, I'm inclined to chalk it up to lack of forward lean.
Interesting, I get a lot of backpressure with the screen all the way up, makes my neck tired after a while. I wonder if Jeff Ashe's windscreen mod might prove useful.

Stand up on the pegs about every 15/20 minutes or so....has made all the difference for shoulders/back/hips/legs...

Could barely take 1 hour B4, now can drian the tank no problem...

Never had this problem when I was in my 20's....

Thanks,

Jen
Some sort of throttle lock is necessary, I use the throttlemiester, but there are others out there. This allows you to take the right hand off the bar and rest. You need to be able to move around on the seat, move one butt cheek to one side then the other. I will rotate my torso to the right and left at times, also an upper body twisting motion will help to get the blood flowing. If you just sit in one position for hours on end you will get tired and sore quicker. Bar backs will also help, as will pain killers. No one thing will cure the problem of getting tired and sore. One other thing I do, about a week before a long trip, is a fairly intense set of situps every morning. This really helps, If I don't do them prior to a trip, it is noticeable.

Hope this helps,

Have Fun & Good Luck

DCH

I used to have lower back pain (guess I still do to a degree) while riding. What has helped me is taking yoga classes that are provided at the gym I go to. I've learned how to keep my back "neutral" and how to position my "sits bones" (seriously, thats what they call them in the classes) on the seat. Not only do you get more of an awareness of how your own body works, but the increase in core strength helps.

I've been riding to work this week since we are having really mild weather, and the change is definitely noticeable.

I have found a different riding posture helps.. It is a big issue with me.. But adopting a different riding posture helped me.. No ad on required

Jen, you might consider attending one of Doc Wong's clinics in Redwood City. Harry is a chiropractor but very active in the motorcycle community here. One of the clinics he does is motorcycle ergonomics. I've heard really good things about it and it's free so can't hurt! I've done his First Aid for Motorcyclists clinics which have been very informative and helpful. Here's a bit of info:

Doc Wong Motorcycle Ergonomics & Riding Position Workshop-Jan 23

Friday Night!

When: Friday, Jan 23, 2009! 7:15pm-8:30pm

Where: Active Life Medical Center (Chiropractic and Alternative Care)

1391 Woodside Road, Suite 200

Redwood City, CA 94061

How to register: just e-mail me at: [email protected]

Cost: $0.00

https://www.docwong.com

This workshop is designed to help you make the necessary adjustments

to your riding positons and to your bike to optimize your personal

efficiency and comfort of riding your motorcycle in all conditions.

To achieve this, I'll be covering different riding styles or positions

on different bikes in differing conditons along with what needs to be

changed to ergonomically fit your bike to you. Also, I'll cover the

most common neck, back and wrist problems I see and what you can do to

ride comfortably.

Riding Positions will include optimal positions for street, sport,

toruing, racing and dirt or dual sport riding. Which positions

produce optimum performance and which get riders into trouble along

with which causes the most pain and what to do about it. I'll

demonstate on a couple of very different bikes, a sport bike and an

upright dual sport bike. That way I can demonstrate the range of

rding positions and the range of ergonomic adjustments you can do to

your bike. Find out how certain riding styles and poor bike setup can

be hazardous and how to solve them. The end result is you being more

comfortable on your bike with less fatigue and having more fun!

The ergonomics part of this workshop will cover how to adjust your

bike to your body and style of riding. The ergonomics of different

bike types and body types will be addressed and participants will have

a working knowledge of what do do with their bikes

adjustments.Optimize your bike for your riding style. Adjusting

levers, foot controls, handlber bar placements

I'll also cover exercises and stretches for you neck, back and wrists.

After the talk and demonstrations, etc we'll go downstairs where

you'll get on your bike and I'll coach you on body position and make

suggestions on the ergonomics of your motorcycle.

Thanks,

Jen
I used to endure a pain much like what you describe. Like many have already shared, I've found small changes in posture do result in brief periods of relative comfort. Although real relief only came after I changed the triple tree.

Since then my longest ride so far has been a 880 mile day. Short stops for stretching, fuel and food made for the kind of ride that allowed this kind of mileage.

As far as the other end is concerned, I found the beaded seat cover worked better than the inflated type.

Agree with some others - a more upright position is perhaps your best long-term solution - some form of risers.

Ridden a Harley Dresser about 8-10,000 miles per year for years; always have the between the shoulder blades pain. Got an FJR last fall, and still have same problem. During the two or three months of non-riding in winter, pain completely goes away, but once I ride a few times in the spring, I'm pretty much in pain till next winter.