Riding Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_station_zebra

Reaction score
I've got a chance to buy a pair of Firstgear 'escape' riding pants for $130 US (approx half price). Any one have an opinion one way or another on these pants especially re waterproof outershell and durabilty.

call or email Aaron at www.newenough.com

he's always steered me right

he highly recommended the Tourmaster Caliper Pants and I got drenched for >100mi riding to a funeral in Montgomery, AL

stayed perfectly dry...also Tourmaster Epic jacket and Sidi Waterproof boots

the jacket is kewl with built in hood in the collar to keep neck dry

I won't wear any pants without CE armor in knee AND hip...did have to purchase extra FirstGear hip armor for Caliper pants

based on Tyler's experience, I also won't ride unless my pants zip to my jacket...my skin is important to me

hope this helps

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Thes are the best waterproof pants.
08B0086.jpg

I've got a chance to buy a pair of Firstgear 'escape' riding pants for $130 US (approx half price). Any one have an opinion one way or another on these pants especially re waterproof outershell and durabilty.
I've got a pair of these and find them great. I also have Firstgear HT II pants which are a little less warm than the escape for winter (liner in). Both are completely waterproof for me.

doctorj

I consider these pants to be water resistant. We got caught in a day long downpour on a coast loop ride through Winchester Bay, Oregon. They soaked through where the water was able to pool up in waist area. I think they're decent pants as long as downpours are not in progress.

I wore the Escape pants & Rainier jacket through off & on rain, several downpours, from MD to TN last spring, stayed dry the whole way. Definitely recommend them.

Hi,

I have the First Gear TPG pants. They are dry in a pouring rain or sitting in a puddle. However, I had to resew the pockets for the armour after about a month. The pockets simply fell out, due to pour stitching.

Jim

I'm not familiar with those pants. I do have the Tourmaster Caliber pant I like, although it's not the greatest cold weather (below 40 into 30's) gear.

Sounds like yours are cheap, if brand new, sounds like a great deal.

Good luck.

:fans: :fans:

I'm not familiar with those pants. I do have the Tourmaster Caliber pant I like, although it's not the greatest cold weather (below 40 into 30's) gear.
Sounds like yours are cheap, if brand new, sounds like a great deal.

Good luck.

Motorport Ultra II Kevlar pants. Great fit (custom-sized), comfort, durable, and good cold-weather liner for winter riding. Also quite good in the summer.

Haven't tested them yet in a get-off.

They're expensive, but fit well and are reputed to be very good at protecting one from road rash.

I'm happy with'em. B)

Same here, I got the same pants and love them. As stated, though, they are very expensive.

If you can really get those pants for $130, it sounds like found a great deal. Personally, I like have a main set as well as a backup set. I have an extra jacket for that reason. If these pants aren't perfect, you have a set until you find the perfect ones, and then have a backup after you do find the perfect ones.

My advice is buy 'em.

Mike

Motorport Ultra II Kevlar pants. Great fit (custom-sized), comfort, durable, and good cold-weather liner for winter riding. Also quite good in the summer.
Haven't tested them yet in a get-off.

They're expensive, but fit well and are reputed to be very good at protecting one from road rash.

I'm happy with'em. B)

I have the FirstGear HT2 overpants and rode in low 40s rain yesterday and stayed warm and mostly dry except for a little water around the cufffs of my jeans which I think was my own fault for not securing the cuffs of the overpants tightly enough.

I have the FirstGear HT2 overpants and rode in low 40s rain yesterday and stayed warm and mostly dry except for a little water around the cufffs of my jeans which I think was my own fault for not securing the cuffs of the overpants tightly enough.
Whatever pants you get, look at having the side zippers go way up the leg.

Makes putting on and taking off a whole lot easier for when you forget to put your pants on before your boots.

Im not sure if it's the same pair, but Motogearoutlet.com has them for the same price ($130.00). I Love my Olympia's (bought via motogear). But they are cool to cold weather pants. I want to add a more breathable pair of pants for summer months.