riding with high beams on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every riding course I have ever taken and every riding book I have ever read recommend riding with brights on during the day for visibility and safety. I always ride with my brights on during the day and apply as needed in the night (I live deep in the country, no street lights.).

Off topic,
Cigarettes have no place in public. They f*** up the health of the smoker and bystanders. I have to live with athsma for the rest of my life because one of my parents smoked in the house when I was growing up. Don't even give me that "it's a free country" BS! I served this country to protect freedom, but not for the freedom to "kill thy neighbors" because someone doesn't want to be thoughtful about their addiction. I can hardly breathe when someone is smoking up wind from me. It makes me want to use deadly force to respond to the attack on my life.

If you want to smoke, do it a small closed room so you will only kill yourself, not everyone around you!
Yes, but I think that you should tell us how you REALLY feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only kidding Ig

I was only kidding Ig
I'm sure you were.

Unfortunately without emoticons my experience is that people will often take it seriously....then people get their feelings hurt when they get these little warn messages that are completely devoid of smileys. ;)

Since I started running a pair of these, no cager has pulled out on me.

2r3ziwp.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Bright, dim, on, off.....We're friggin invisible out there, I mean come on, people don't even see trains!![/SIZE]

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295945,00.html#

For crying out loud...............

6 pages and 104 (now 105) replies on the subject of high beams during the daylight?!?!

Winter is coming early this year.

For crying out loud...............
6 pages and 104 (now 105) replies on the subject of high beams during the daylight?!?!

Winter is coming early this year.
I'm disappointed. Where's my "mental mastubation" quote?

The Twowheelsoapbox guy is a nitwit; from his article:

"So if you are a motorcyclist, the next time you throw a leg over your ride and head out, resist the temptation to switch on the high beam and forget it. Take a more active role in your own safety and manually toggle the high beam on and off when approaching traffic you’re concerned about, "

Flashing your brights is the international "go ahead" signal.

I guess I would flash my brights on and off at traffic I was concerned about not pulling out in front of me 'cuz by flashing your brights you are telling them: "go ahead and turn!"

Y'know, it's one way of managing risk: "I'll flash my lights at them to tell them to go ahead and turn, and if they don't, I'll know I'm safe 'cuz they're dead!"

That's why I don't like headlight modulators: Stupid cager paying no attention notices you in time to see your brights go *flash* *flash* and the circuits connect in his peabrain: "Oh, he wants me to go ahead." POW!

(I refer to the driver as 'him' because you have to at least know enough about driving and driving courtesy to know the flashing-yer-brights = go ahead signal.)

Arguing about brights/no brights is purely academic and a complete waste of time--cars pull out in front of motorcops running full lights and siren all the time!

Not even running full lights and siren on your motorcycle will get you noticed, so don't even bother fucking wondering whether brights, no-brights or flashing your brights will get you noticed.

Except that if someone happens to notice you, flashing your brights will get them to turn in front of you: "But officer, he told me to go ahead by flashing his brights at me!"

I fully agree here. If you flash your lights at a vehicle that you think may be about to pull out on you, the message to him is, "Well, I'm already stopped, so he must want me to go."

I will continue to run w/ my high beams on during the day (none of that flashing stuff for me). I do try to remember to turn them to low when riding behind others. My personal view is that the benefits far outweigh any negative possibilities.

Heidi

I will continue to run w/ my high beams on during the day (none of that flashing stuff for me). I do try to remember to turn them to low when riding behind others. My personal view is that the benefits far outweigh any negative possibilities.
Heidi
Thank you. That quite succinctly summarizes what I do now, and plan to continue, until I am run over by a Peterbuilt, or perhaps die of atherosclerosis (which is the more probable scenario of the two).

I fully agree here. If you flash your lights at a vehicle that you think may be about to pull out on you, the message to him is, "Well, I'm already stopped, so he must want me to go."
i've heard 1 or 2 other people claim this over the years. i attempted to discuss it with the first one for a while and eventually gave up because he was on the verge of exploding about it as an issue.

all i can say is that i've ridden all over the country and NEVER found where blinking my high beams meant "okie dokie" to anyone other than a commercial trucker who has just passed me and wanted to get back over. i've seen flashed highs use to warn others that a cop is behind you (which used to be common) and flashed highs as the common way to let someone know you wanted them to move their asses out of the left lane (but pained pussies now claim this is "road rage" when emotion has nothing to do with it). but my modulators or flashed highs at intersections have NEVER been used as a signal to indicate that i am waiving my right of way to someone entering from a position of yielding. EVER.

all i can say is that i've ridden all over the country and NEVER found where blinking my high beams meant "okie dokie" to anyone other than a commercial trucker who has just passed me and wanted to get back over. i've seen flashed highs use to warn others that a cop is behind you (which used to be common) and flashed highs as the common way to let someone know you wanted them to move their asses out of the left lane (but pained pussies now claim this is "road rage" when emotion has nothing to do with it). but my modulators or flashed highs at intersections have NEVER been used as a signal to indicate that i am waiving my right of way to someone entering from a position of yielding. EVER.
GUNNY!

In all my travels, I have never heard of the 'flashing high beams = yielding of right away'. So just how common is it?

GUNNY!

In all my travels, I have never heard of the 'flashing high beams = yielding of right away'. So just how common is it?
Of course you never used it to signal "go ahead" but, it doesn't really matter what it means to you. It's what it means to the other driver.

You're stopped at a 4-way stop in that awkward moment when you both get there at the same time--when you look at each other to see who's gonna go. He flashes his brights.

What do you do?

When you are approaching an intersection and there is a car poised to turn left, you flash your brights.

What does he do?

Why send a confusing signal if you are going straight through?

Why send any signal? They're not paying attention anyhow--it gives you a false sense of security and takes your attention from covering your brake and watching their front wheels.

Leave your brights on or not, it doesn't make a difference, except it annoys people at night....

The high beam flash = "after you" thing is pretty common up in this corner of the US (that'd be the upper right). As someone else mentioned, this seems to be mostly (only?) true in intersections, certainly not with on coming traffic about to turn left in front of you.

When approaching on the open road, it is more likely to mean:

1) slow down, there are cops ahead (this is a series of short flashes, usually 3 or more)

or

B) Hey moron! You left your high beams on! (this is usually one long flash until the offending party either turns theirs off or demonstrates that they were actually already on low beam) Is that still even considered a flash?

As someone else mentioned, this seems to be mostly (only?) true in intersections, certainly not with on coming traffic about to turn left in front of you.
Oh, certainly not.... Why I'd bet my life that the dope sitting there in the left turn lane knows this and I'd just start flashing away....

Again, it doesn't matter what you know, it matters what the dope sitting in the cage in the left turn lane knows.

You have no idea what he knows or what he thinks flashing your brights at him means, so why confuse him into doing something stupid and killing you?