Rifle for short rider?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
OK. Ive read I believe every thread on this site over the last 6 months about screens. I believe I have come to the conclusion I want a Rifle.

The majority of the threads are about you taller, or at least normal height guys :p Im 5'6", so when the stock screen is fully up the top of the screen is right at my eyes...I generally ride with it just below. Even then, I get some buffeting. The buffeting is kind of strange though...it produces side to side type vibration. So it got me thinking about windshield shapes. Im thinking the stock one isnt wide enough, so its the buffeting coming in from the sides hitting the sides of my helmet. Does that sound about right? I see most of the guys who order +3 taller is so that the windshield will hit them right below the eye line (Im sure there are a few guys who like to look THROUGH the screen as opposed to just over it). Or is it also the angle of the screen that is so different that pushes even more air up over the top of the helmet? Im sure thats a possibility too. But for me, Im thinking the stock screen is too narrow which is causing my buffeting. And as an added benefit of course the wifey will have less wind when she rides pillion with a wider screen.

Im thinking of the +1/+4

So what say you short riders?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Ive read I believe every thread on this site over the last 6 months about screens. I believe I have come to the conclusion I want a Rifle.

The majority of the threads are about you taller, or at least normal height guys :p Im 5'6", so when the stock screen is fully up the top of the screen is right at my eyes...I generally ride with it just below. Even then, I get some buffeting. The buffeting is kind of strange though...it produces side to side type vibration...................

I think the "Side to side" thing is what buffeting means...your helmet seems to move side to side.

Rather than go into a complex discsusson on aerodynamics ...I think your best bet is to try out the wider screen and see if it works for you.

I'm a giant at 5'9"...but I went with a +4 X +4 Cee Bailey. The stock screen did cause some turbulanse for me...but alot more so for my wife on back. (she's 5'6") So when we ride I usually raise the screen up most of the way. The Stock screens turbulance and buffeting I think it had more to do with it's shape than it's width...because as a somewhat small guy I am also not that wide myself... and I beleive that a "wider rider" creates more turbulance than a skinny one.

If the screen were stationary, I might have picked another size...but because you can raise or lower it , it just made sense to me to get a taller one, as I can always lower it. (which I do when I ride alone)

There seems to be no set answer here , as I read alot of threads and reports on the various windscreens available.

Rider size, position when riding, helmet choice, and kinda what they are used to seems to factor in enough that there is no one screen that works for everyone.

So try out the short but wider one and let us know how it works out for you.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to suggest one of these:

800px-Lupara.jpg

But, after reading the post I see the OP meant something else.

I'm 5' 10" and got a rifle recommended for the FJR. Unbelievable difference. I was in a completely calm bubble behind the screen.

What threw me off a little, was the size. What I've heard referred to as the "Barn Door". So I shaped mine slightly to resemble the stock. I barely took any materiel off! Thinking I would cut/test,cut/test. The first try was a charm. It's not quite as calm, just by a smidge, but matches the bike again. I'm a happy camper!

I think it's the wider screen, combined with the riser block, that does the trick!

If you're ever interested, come to the coast and I'll show you!

I am also 5'-10" with a 32" inseam. I have looked and looked and read all I can abput whichscreen to buy. I was real realy leaning towards a V-Stream but I just did not want to ruin the look of my bike for the sake of my compfort. I checked out the Rifle and it seems to match the bike the best. I have spoke with them and they redomend the screen that is 5" taller. You said that you customized yours a bit and I am curious how and how much. Should I just get a 4" taller if they have it in that size or do what you did?

You are the first person I have seen that says they are the same height as me and chose the same screen that I am going to get. I am glad to read your letter, it makes me feel a little more sure of my decision.

I am also 5'-10" with a 32" inseam. I have looked and looked and read all I can abput whichscreen to buy. I was real realy leaning towards a V-Stream but I just did not want to ruin the look of my bike for the sake of my compfort. I checked out the Rifle and it seems to match the bike the best. I have spoke with them and they redomend the screen that is 5" taller. You said that you customized yours a bit and I am curious how and how much. Should I just get a 4" taller if they have it in that size or do what you did?

You are the first person I have seen that says they are the same height as me and chose the same screen that I am going to get. I am glad to read your letter, it makes me feel a little more sure of my decision.
Not wanting to hy-jack the OP's thread, so here's a link to my custom screen.

My link

Network I'm also 5'6" and installed the Rifle +3 tall +4 wide. In the fully down position I look just over the top just about the same as when I used to have the stock screen raised so I still have the option to raise it for more protection if so desired. Little or no buffeting, much quieter. I havn't had the chance to try it two up yet but It definitly performs. ;)

Network I'm also 5'6" and installed the Rifle +3 tall +4 wide. In the fully down position I look just over the top just about the same as when I used to have the stock screen raised so I still have the option to raise it for more protection if so desired. Little or no buffeting, much quieter. I havn't had the chance to try it two up yet but It definitly performs. ;)
Thanks fast...I ordered the +1/+4 this morning. I like to have a little air during warmer months so didnt go with the +3 or +4.

when I contacted rifle to order a screen I was told that height actually is one inch less then stated because of the angle of the screen. Mine works very well. 5incher.

I'm 5'7", on a good day, and recently installed the Rifle +3,+4 which is working great for me. I ride with it in about the mid-raised position, which allows me to look over the top.

Thanks fast...I ordered the +1/+4 this morning. I like to have a little air during warmer months so didnt go with the +3 or +4.
Gosh. Its been 5 days since I placed my order and shipment is still pending. Takes awhile to ship out I guess.